I'm highly considering getting these (57' Classic and Classic Plus combo) for my Epi Sheraton, since the stock Epi pups are pretty muddy. How are these pickups? I've heard them in action in an ES-175 on the Gibson website, and I like the tone a lot. I play mainly Blues/Jazz, and some Classic Rock (Allman Brothers Band, Cream, Zeppelin) through a Fender Blues Jr.

Would this be a good choice, or is there something better for the price?

EDIT: Also, how much would a shop usually charge for installation on a semi-hollow?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Last edited by S0ulja23 at Mar 18, 2007,
I think that'd sound hella good, I'm a big Sheraton fan. I think that installation might be a little bit heftier due to wiring, but I'm not completely sure. Sounds like a good idea, though! I also think that you should install some gold pickup covers to match the rest of the hardware, opencoils won't look good on a semihollow.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Oh yeah, I'm definetely ordering the Gold covered ones.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

57' Classics are great. The 57 classic and the burstbucker is the closest thing you can get to a real 59' Gibson PAF pickup. Keep in mind a paf is worth anywhere from $3000-10000 depending on what year and if its from a LP or not so $90 is a steal! Burstbuckers have the same tone as 57' classics BUT with more output. I have a 58' Les paul VOS reissue from gibson with Burst buckers in it, totally screams the duane allman thing nicely, as does my 59' lp with 57' classics installed. The 57 classic is good in the neck pos, its more round and natural sounding compared to the burstbucker which is hotter in the neck pos. As for the bridge I'd put all the fat on the bridge, go burst bucker if your doin lots of lead. The 500T and 490R's are nice too ceramic magnets, not as clear of a tone as the 57' and the burst bucker though more SG tone.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Accessories/Gear/Pickups/

As for dropping a gibson pickup into your epiphone, you shouldnt have any issues. I would make sure you have enough lead wire on the pickups before you even think about resoldering though.. Sometimes those hollowbody guitars have longer leads from the factory on the pickups. Usually gibson is good for 12" of lead on their pickups.

^So I should drop a 57' Classic in the neck, and a Burstbucker in the bridge instead of the Classic Plus? Are you talking about the Burstbucker Pro, or the Burstbucker 2?

Oh and I plan on ordering these pups online, do you think that they'll come with long enough lead wire?

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, how do you put pickups in a semi hollow if there's no cavity in the back?

Last edited by S0ulja23 at Mar 18, 2007,
^I belive removing the pickup frame will allow the pickup to be easily removed.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
How would all the soldering with the pots take place?

I would suggest a '57 classic plus in the bridge, as it give a higher output with a bit more treble, good for very natural sounding overdrive.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Anymore opinions, anyone?

unscrew the pot and take it out thru the f-hole.

I think you should concider replacing the pots as well, if you're doing an upgrade.
Well, I "personally" would do a burstbucker 1, 2 pro, all the same pickup with different outputs they sound the same. They DO have more output and are a hotter pickup, they're designed as a replacement to the 57 Classic line, gibson wanted something more balsier then the 57, I've spoken with Gibson reps at my local music store and they're tired of seeing EMG's droped into $3000 les pauls aside the zakkwylde model, quite frankly I agree with them on that, black doesnt look good on a AAA Bookmatched flametop. Anyways

your epiphone pots are probably not as good as new gibson ones are, I would replace them BUT BUT! before you go out and buy $30 worth of pots , make sure your knobs will work on the gibson ones. It would suck to have to buy gibson knobs, I have access to dealer cost and even at dealer cost they're stuff isnt all that cheap, and dont settle for allparts or mighty might gibson knobs, any good gear head can just feel they're not the right ones.

so, replace your pots if you can, put a 57 classic in your neck pos, and some sort of Burst bucker in the bridge, might want to even consider getting a new 3 way switch and 1/4" jack and you could probably just yank the entire wiring harness out and put a new one in and still have the original parts of the guitar. Its a good thing to do if you like the way the pickups sound but get tired of the guitar you and put the old stuff back in.

Good luck
Would these be a better choice than say, a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom?

I dunno, I've never really compared Pearly gates to burstbuckers, I only have 1 guitar with a pearly gate in it - squier jagmaster mutant, warmoth maple neck, wilkinson bridge other mods, not really a good axe to compare with a gibson, just wood wise, the fenderish thing does sound good though