I've been playing for a couple years now and have been only learning the pentatonic scale which i've memorized and am able to imporovise on it now. Anyways I was wondering what other types of scales should I be learning because there are so many (lydian, iolean, mixolydian).

I basically wanna learn scales based on songs by Guns n Roses, MCR, and anything rock related.

Any suggestions or should I just stick with pentatonic??

Thanks.
most bands use pentatonics, but if you learn the major scales and all their modes you'll be fine
As for Guns N Roses, Slash didn't actually use scales. He never learned them. He just played what came natural to him.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'
As for Guns N Roses, Slash didn't actually use scales. He never learned them. He just played what came natural to him.

no, slash definitely uses pentatonic scales...its a proven fact if you read any article mentioning him or interviewing him...
expansion is always good , i've only been playing a year and know the pentatonic[major and minor], ionian, dorian, phrygian, and aeolian but i can't really solo awsome off them yet , but time will bring that , ya,.. why would you not want to expand your scale knowledge? and if you improvise well off a scale you can be sure it will always have a nice melodic output , vs. not so if your not sticking to a scale.
shnaps i own sorta:-steinberger spirit
-ol' samick strat replica
-harmony acoustic of some sort
-ibanez pro bass

amps:-2 micro cubes
-peavey rage 158
-gorilla somethin
-ol' danelectro
-crate bass amp
Quote by epiphonist13
no, slash definitely uses pentatonic scales...its a proven fact if you read any article mentioning him or interviewing him...

or if you just listen to his music maybe?? pick a song any song!!
"so did you do anything hardocore today?"

"yeah dude i went to the bathroom and pluged up the toilet like hardcore! water would not stop coming out of it! It was like eddie van halen was playing Eruption in my bathroom! If van halen was a toilet
Quote by Stop Messin'

Ahhhhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaahahhahahahahahhaahhahahahahhahahahhahah

Thanks for the laugh. No one does that. Feel doesn't even exist. It's just the way you utilize the different tones in a scale. Slash says he doesn't know much about music but he still knows a good deal of theory and tonality. If you know nothing except for the pentatonics you will go know where. If you know nothing about the Major scales and all of the variations you will go know where. Learn notes, learn theory. It's not useful to memorize the variations(lydian mixolydian ect.) It's useful to learn the major scales and how the scales change due to the different variations.
Loaded like a freight train
Flyin' like an aeroplane
Feelin' like a space brain
One more tonight
Quote by Stop Messin'

that was hendrix, and to sealab, feeling does exist (just watch any of the pink floyd live performances and watch gilmour's face)