Today I tried out a Peavey 6505 and the reason why I did was because I heard that it was suppost to be a good amp for metal, and I dont know if I was doing something wrong or what, I didnt have the volume up very high at all that might have been the problem but I cant see that making that huge of a differents, I was getting more of a vintage-ish sound out of it, so if you are either an owner or know your way around the amp, how do I get a good metal tone out of this?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Yeah I will proboly go in there one day right when they open so I can hear what it sounds like cranked, and do you think that I might need a bit of od to give it a bit more of a push?
hmm, that doesn't sound right. what kind of guitar were you using? Make sure you grab a guitar with some decent humbuckers. That amp has a lot of preamp gain, you shouldn't have to crank it to get a ton of overdrive. You shouldn't need an OD unless you wanted to shape the gain, it has plenty without an OD. Either it's been a floor model and the tubes are beat, or you aren't using the controls correctly. There's a 5150/6505 thread that has everything you want to know about the amp it if you use the search.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I was using a $2400 washburn idol, so it had great humbuckers, and should I be able to get a master of puppets or early pantera ie.cowbows from hell sound out of this without effects or boost?
Last edited by gibson_10 at Mar 18, 2007,
allright here are settings.

Pre-Amp Volume - 7
Bass - 7
Mids- 2.5
Treble- 5.5
Resonance - 3
Presence - 4

MAke sure your on the lead channel

Post Volume is basically your master volume while pre volume is your gain
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Yeah I don't know about those settings.....might make it sound a bit....blah.

Make sure you're in the high gain jack, and on the lead channel. Set everything to 5 to start. Then play a low power chord and change the lows, then a mid power chord....then change the mids, then highs.....get it? Then I would put the presence all the way up, then bring it back down until you like it. I usually have it around 7 or 8. But thats just how I like it.Then the same thing with the resonance. I wouldn't say you have to have this thing loud to get a good sound, but it never hurts....and no a boost wont do anything. A 6505 has a lot of gain. Be my guest and try...but I don't think you're going to find it sounds anything spectacular compared to without it.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die