is it harder to play piano songs on guitar than it is on piano, for example MoonLight Sonata, it just seems tougher to play on guitar then piano/keyboard....or is it just cause it was written for piano...like if someone turned a guitar song into a piano song would it be harder to play cause its on a different instrument? know what i mean?
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
probably. you seem stoned. that's ok though cause i'm stoned too. does this really need a thread?
yeah i get you, all the finger shapes would be totally fuked up if a piece is transcribed from piano to guitar, but same probably goes for a piano playing a guitar piece. and i don't think there is any denying that guitar is a far better instrument than a piano anyways.
I think piano music is harder to play on guitar, but sometimes guitar music is impossible to play on piano (anything with mutes, pick slides, harmonics or even bends).

Guitars are more versatile in terms of the sounds you can make and the control over dynamics, but the piano can do crazy harmonies easily.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by perko
i don't think there is any denying that guitar is a far better instrument than a piano anyways.
Hah, yeah right.

Anyways, it depends on the song. Generally, guitar songs transcribed to piano are piss easy; guitar never has two independent melodies going at the same time - either chordal tones played in rhythmic unison, or individual notes.

Piano songs transcribed to guitar, on the other hand, usually results in notes having to be omitted because the piano allows for so much more flexibility in what notes can be played and how the bass and treble can rhythmically function.
Well a guitar is easier to hold that's why I play it and not piano.
"so did you do anything hardocore today?"

"yeah dude i went to the bathroom and pluged up the toilet like hardcore! water would not stop coming out of it! It was like eddie van halen was playing Eruption in my bathroom! If van halen was a toilet
Quote by yawn
^ Ew, his chest is WAY too shiny.

Sweat from kicking so much ass.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
definitely harder on guitar, just because of so many possible shapes of things, some easier than others, and the playability, you have to do certian things in certian positions and whatnot
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Remember... On a piano you have two hands playing notes, on a guitar you have only one (Unless your name is Stanley Jordan, Buckethead or Ron Thal with their lunatic tapping....)
The answer obviously depends on the arrangement. Someone could "transcribe" the melody of Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star for guitar, and that would clearly be far easier than Mozart's piano variations version. In general, it would depend on the genre. Classical pieces may often be considered difficult on guitar, but fingerpicking arrangements of modern songs aren't always as tough. Of course, the piano versions aren't usually virtuosic, either. Hmm.
Quote by yawn
I'd like to see someone play a piano cadenza on a guitar

Again, it depends on the faithfulness of the arrangement. For example, there are guitar versions of Canon In D (yes, I am aware that it's primarily a violin canon) that completely exclude the semi-quaver main theme, and others that have it played at half speed. To play piano chords note for note on guitar could be extremely difficult, but that's no surprise, as they're two completely different instruments. Perhaps a better question is: would it be more difficult to play chords on a guitar or a flute? 0mG. What a tough question!
There's a possibility that a piano cadenza could be more easily played on guitar. Think of all of the solos that are fast, but involve a "trick", such as constant hammer-ons or the same fretting hand position. For example, one could argue that the tapping section of Always With Me, Always With You would be easier for guitar than piano.

Piano cadenzas aren't always virtuosic, though. Yes, I know that that defeats the purpose of a cadenza, but it seems that Albeniz did not. I wouldn't imagine that a one-handed "Lento" piano cadenza would be impossible to play on a guitar.
^ Nah, tapping on a guitar is just regular ole' trilling on a piano.

Edit: Well, yeah, it's probably easier on a guitar.
Piano and guitar are two very different instruments. One could argue that they are both string instruments, but it is obvious how they differ.

An important part of playing piano is that you can play several notes at once. Two hands and loads of keys contribute to this; whilst on a guitar you can only play a maximum of 6 notes, and they are only within the range of 2 octaves (+- a few notes). Trying to play some of the chords found in music for piano, within the specific octaves, is near impossible to repeat on guitar.

I have dealt with range, but also it is important that even if you were to play something that was for the other instrument, it would sound very different, as the piece of music has been specifically designed for that instrument. For instance, playing the solo for "For the Love of God" would sound quite stupid on a piano, as it centres around one note and then doesnt do much else.

I have worked out how to play "Going to California" by Zep on piano, and it is very awkward, as you start out with the D in 3 octaves, and it keeps the simple bass and gentle melody throughout, so you are playing pretty much one note in your left hand and all over the place in your right.

The main thing is, pieces of music are designed for specific instruments, for example you wouldnt find slow chords to be written for a violin, neither would you find a quick, jerky melody written for an organ. You need to work and manipulate music to fit it into different instruments.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Has no one here seen The Pick of Destiny? 3 perfect examples in that flick, if I'm not mistaken.
Listen to Black Sabbath
Quote by notoriousnumber
The main thing is, pieces of music are designed for specific instruments.
That's not to say transposition isn't uncommon...

(Wow, lots of negatives in that statement; I hope I said it correctly.)
Quote by yawn
That's not to say transposition isn't uncommon...

No its not, because some instruments are quite alike and can play things in a similar way, even if they do not look similar.

But if you look at any type of sheet music, with several different instruments, you can tell just by looking how the music has been adapted to fit the instruments "needs".
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.