Ok, well I've had my SG for a while, but it wasn't giving me the sound I wanted and I wanted a Floyd Rose as well so I went out and bought a Jackson DXMG last August or so and I really liked it then. At Christmas I replaced my SG's stock pickups with the Zakk Wylde EMG set and it now sounds 10x better for what I play (metal - A7X, Killswitch Engage, Between the Buried and Me, As Blood Runs Black, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, etc.) yet I can still play any other genre if I want to.

After I made the pickup change my Jackson has just been hanging on the wall, unplayed for months. Today I picked it up cause I felt it was being neglected and realized that the feel of it is completely different from that of my SG, not to mention the sound of it (to get a similar sound to my SG I had to turn the highs all the way up, mids at 1/4 and low at 1/4 - my SG was set at high 3/4, mid all the way up, low 3/4). I had decided a while back that I don't like the finished neck on the Jackson compared to the SG, I just can't play as fast on it, and today when I picked it up, I found myself making A LOT of mistakes on the Jackson, and the strings wouldn't bend very well at all (not sure if that's something to do with the Floyd Rose on it or not? but it was in tune).

The neck on my DXMG is thinner than that of my SG, but wider, which is weird, because I think it's the same size as a strat...and I love the feel of my girlfriend's Squier's neck...

I was thinking about taking it into Guitar Center and seeing if they'd take it in on a trade for a Strat or something, but a strat doesn't seem like it'd be very good for what I play (plus I always laugh at metal bands (unless they're a shred kind of metal) who play strats lol). So, I guess what I'm asking is, what would you guys suggest I check out, so I'm not in Guitar Center for hours looking at every guitar? I'm looking for a guitar in the <$500 price range that I could either trade my Jackson evenly for, or with a little added money, as this will probably end up being a backup guitar like the Jackson was.

*edit* I'd prefer a Mahogony body with a rosewood fretboard if possible but it's, of course, not needed if the guitar sounds good.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 19, 2007,
Schecter C-1FR, Ibanez S320 (if you don't need 24 frets).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I like to feel your girlfriend.
But seriously, a Jackson is like a metal strat. Get a Dinky with an old school tremelo, but still humbuckers.
"so did you do anything hardocore today?"

"yeah dude i went to the bathroom and pluged up the toilet like hardcore! water would not stop coming out of it! It was like eddie van halen was playing Eruption in my bathroom! If van halen was a toilet
Quote by miniindividual
I like to feel your girlfriend.

You and me both...you and me both...haha

Yeah, I really like Schecter and Ibanez, I owned an SZ520 before the Jackson and it was a pretty nice guitar.

I also like the looks of the Fender Showmaster, has anyone ever played one? I always see it at Guitar Center when I go there, but I've never played it, but it does look beautiful...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 18, 2007,
hmm before you trade your guitar in at gc trying selling it yourself first might get more money that way. hmm the Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR seems like it would suit you good
Quote by azn_guitarist25
hmm before you trade your guitar in at gc trying selling it yourself first might get more money that way. hmm the Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR seems like it would suit you good

As much as I'd love to have that guitar (I've played it, it's awesome...), I don't have that much more I could add on on top of my Jackson to spend on a guitar right now That is, unless they happen to have a used one for cheap!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
As much as I'd love to have that guitar (I've played it, it's awesome...), I don't have that much more I could add on on top of my Jackson to spend on a guitar right now That is, unless they happen to have a used one for cheap!

damn man that sucks, well if you are looking at strats definately fat strats are the way to go or even a double fat strat, but yeah keep looking for a used schecter hellraiser your bound to find one
^ Isn't a fat strat more than a hellraiser? If not, sorry, I'm not too familiar with strats

Anyone else have some ideas?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
mexi fat strats usually run in the vicinity of $400usd new, btw did you mean <$500 cos if you mean > $500 then that opens up a wide variety of guitars
Quote by azn_guitarist25
mexi fat strats usually run in the vicinity of $400usd new, btw did you mean <$500 cos if you mean > $500 then that opens up a wide variety of guitars

Yeah I meant <$500, sorry, just noticed that I put >$500. I'd probably be willing to spend maybe $100 on top of the trade in of my guitar for another one, though I'm not too sure I really want a Floyd Rose on it anymore, it was nice to have it, but I never really used it, I'm sure I could get a better guitar without one for the same ammount of price with one that has a FR. I do, however, like that S320, if they had one of those, I'd probably get that unless I find a Schecter or Strat I liked. What guitars would you guys recommend for metal that don't have floyd roses, but are still close to my price range?

I was thinking about trying out an S-1 Elite, a lot of people say the stock pickups aren't that good on it, but I've played it, and at least on the amp I was playing it on, it sounded better than the Hellraiser with the 81/85s, which really threw me off lol.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, I went to Guitar Center yesterday just to try some stuff out and see what I liked the best of the stuff people have been suggesting.

They had an S470, but it was horribly out of tune and I wasn't going to mess with the trem to get it in tune, eventhough it was out of tune, I still liked the feel of it.

The two guitars I liked the most were by far the Fender Showmaster, but it had 3 single coils, and I kind of wanted at least one humbucker... the S-1 Elite and the C-1 Hellraiser/Hellraiser FR.

I haven't looked to see if there's a Showmaster with a HSS set up yet, but if there isn't, I'll probably most likely save up a little and get the Hellraiser FR since it has an original Floyd Rose on it.

*edit* Looked up the showmaster on Musicians Friend and they don't even have one that's SSS like the one I saw yesterday, they're all HH, so I might just end up getting that, cause the playability on that guitar was amazing. Though the ones with HH are $200 more than the SSS they had yesterday =\
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 20, 2007,
What's your guy's opinion on the LTD EC-400s? The Guitar Center I went to yesterday doesn't carry ESP so I didn't get to try any out, so I'll need to find a shop around here that does, but I think it would be kind of cool to have an SG and Les Paul type guitars together.

Also, I've heard about humbuckers that come in Single Coil form, are they any good? Could anyone tell me what some good ones would be for my style of playing if I were to get the SSS Showmaster, since it's $200 less than the HH?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah LTD EC-400 is a nice guitar for sure, though dont know if you would like. upper fret access is a bit restricted in a way compared to the SG so really i would find it more useful for rhythm

and yes there are mini humbuckers. look at the Dimarzio and Seymour duncan and they should have some models.
Alright, I'll check em out. I still wanna try the ESP reguardless, just to see if I like it, cause I like the feel of Les Pauls. Are there any other ESPs someone would recommend? I don't really want to try a viper cause I already have an SG, so I don't really want matching guitars.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i have a bc rich mocking bird, and it plays pretty nice. try one of those out, tell me what u think
I'm not really a BC Rich man myself, I've tried a few, but I don't really like the designs they come in
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well I think I might go try an EC-400 this weekend if i can find a store with one in stock. My favorites are still the Showmaster (best playing/feel of all of them...) and the Hellraiser/Hellraiser FR (sounded the heaviest).

If I put a set of Hotrails or another single coil sized humbucker in the SSS Showmaster, would it actually make it sound better for the style of music I play? I've never really been drawn to single coil guitars and have certainly never tried one with single coil sized humbuckers. Also, the Showmaster is made out of basswood, how does this wood compare to mahogony/alder?

I hooked it up to a 6505 at Guitar Center and it was actually able to sound a lot like some of the other guitars with HH set ups i was playing, which surprised me, because I've always though a single coil could never sound as heavy as a humbucker, but it did, and it pulled it off beautifully. My only complaint, however, with the single coils, is it seemed more difficult to achieve pinch harmonics on it, though it could be that i'm just not used to the position of where you get them on a single coil guitar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com