Hi,

Just wondering if anybody can give me some pointers. I've run into a problem while spraying the lacquer on the neck for the Strat I'm building.(aerosol method) Everything is going fine, and it's building and levelling nicely, but I've been getting a bit of foaming going on; resulting in little lines of bubbles in the finish near the corners of the headstock. Not incredibly large or even very noticeable, but I want to do this as nicely as possible.

I've fixed (melted the tops off of the affected areas)the bubbles that happened on the last application by lightly brushing the area with lacquer thinner, and it's ready for the next couple of coats. The can isn't even half used, so it's not a low can issue...could it be that I've been spraying too close? Just wondering if anyone else has had previous experiences that may help my rookie-luthier-ass outta the dilemna I'm in.

The thing's almost done...this is the last step I have to do before I get to play this freakin' thing...6 months and chomping at the bit!!!

Thanks
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
One more bit of info...it's Mowhawk Nitroclellulose lacquer I'm using.

Cheers
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Sand off all the laquer and finish the neck with tung oil.

But seriously, just let the coat dry and then sand the bubbles out.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Thanks...lol I'm gonna stick with the nitro thanks.

Specifically I was looking for tips on how to avoid the foaming effect.

Keeping in mind that I'm only experiencing this foaming effect while spraying hard corners. This effect never happened on any part of the back of the neck...just along the edges of the headstock.

I'm assuming it's because I'm spraying too close. (8-10 inches) More than likely the case, but I was just looking for experienced advise.

It's my first project, and it's going to be pretty nice. The body'e done and the electronics are finished. The neck just needs it's final few coats, and I can play the sonofabitch! I'm just hoping it plays as nice as it looks!

Wimbledon white alder body with MM birdseye maple neck/ ebony board/ abalone dots
GFS overwound alnico strat set, greasebucket, wilkinson vintage trem, vintage staggered klusons (no string trees). Parchment plastic kit.(almost identical to body colour) White 3ply pickguard. GraphTech nut.

I always wanted something with a neck that looked and played as awesome as my buddy's 57 esquire. So in the sanding stage, I took the C profile of the neck and moderately took it towards the realm of the shallow V profile. Very slight, but a little more liberal around the open position, and the back of the treble side towards the upper reaches.

If you've ever played a really old fender, you'd know about what 50 years of playing does to a neck....amazing feel when different "traffic" areas of the back of the neck have a slight shift in profile.

I "aged" the colour tone of the neck by using a basecoat of walnut stain on the bare sanded maple neck, then sanded that off lightly to bring out the grain of the slight figuring and fairly heavy birdseye, and then applied a sesame stain to it. The nitro's on it's way once I resolve this problem with the last stage, I'm good!

Essentially what I'm putting together is a new guitar that looks (and plays) 50 years old without the "beat up" relic effect.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
hummm yea sand down the neck after each layer and then alot on the last one,

personley i dont like laquering necks cuz it's hard to slide up and down the neck (for me anyway) unless you were gloves =)
Ibanez S470
Boss ME-50...
Some old amp...