One more post on this because I haven't found anything that has helped.

My middle finger's callous is large as it should be but when I push down on the strings, this specific finger tip caves way in as if there is nothing supporting the callous underneath and this causes a lot of pain while playing (makes one large groove that the string nothches into while playng) It bounces back mostly, during the day, but as soon as I play again the string cuts way down. This is the only finger that does it and it does not seem to be changing over time.

I tried the last suggestion and sandpapered down the two taller sides on either side of the groove (using 400 sandpaper) but I don't think that is making a difference. I need to get the groove area toughened underneath but no amount of playing helps.

ANY help you can give me would be gretly appreciated. If you know anyone who has had the issue I would love their contact info.

Thanks!
An impression where the string meets your finger is normal, and when you ease off there should still be an impression where the string once was.

One piece of advice is to give your fingers a good rest, 5 or 6 days for them to fully heal, then go at it again.

Without a break, the fingers never fully heal, and they are continously sore. The time lost in resting soon catches up because you are able to play for a lot longer and be free of pain, than what you would if you didn't rest.

Apparently urine (ammonia) is good for toughening the skin and healing blisters/callouses. I heard that on a Job-site, not sure if its true.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Mar 18, 2007,
Thanks DJaye...I hope I didn't screw things up by sandpapering down some of the height...should get back to normal eventually, eh? Didn't seem to help anway but I'm just worried about clearing this up without causing new issues.

My other 3 fingers also have indents, as you mentioned, but the pain there feels more normal whereas my middle finger feels different...like the string is literally hitting directly on my bone (the indent is much more pronounced). Again...I have very big callouses but this rut area seems to not be as thick.

I don't want to give up practice for a week if I can help it...maybe a night or two would help though?
I think it is a bit like weightlifting, the muscle tissue gets torn, and when it heals, it adds more bulk, then it is torn again . . etc etc and usually gym junkies have a rest period for that muscle group.

Same with the skin tissue in your finger, it needs a chance to heal the area of tissue that has been damaged, even a 36 hour time frame should do the job.

Thats just wat I have experienced anyway.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?