Hey guys, i've just started getting into multi-track recording my music and stuff and my current onboard sound chipset is quite the pile of crap...

I was wondering what PCI sound card or perhaps USB sound device would be best for recording quality.. I also would like to be able to use Guitar Rig 2 properly without having to play something through it to use it

My budget is around $200AU.
Onboard? That's the same as integrated right? My integrated soundcard does a pretty good job of recording. But I suppose if you want something better, the Soundblaster series by Creative are pretty good. I'm not so sure about the Guitar Rig 2 thing though.
yeah, my old motherboard's integrated sound did a nice job as well but with the new motherboard, which is better than the old one the sound is crappy, like when i start recording something, the volume goes up really high and if i stop for a second and start playing again the volume is quiet and then rises again
Quote by burndttoast
Onboard? That's the same as integrated right? My integrated soundcard does a pretty good job of recording. But I suppose if you want something better, the Soundblaster series by Creative are pretty good. I'm not so sure about the Guitar Rig 2 thing though.

absolutly not, soundblaster cards arent meant for recording so they wont be great for it. there is a huge difference when you go from a card like that to something made for recording.

for that kind of budget, i think your best bet might be to get a decent interface or soundcard with separate stereo inputs, then get a mixer. you probably arent going to get anything with a bunch of inputs for that price. save up a bit more and you can get a good card with a good number of inputs. Emu makes a nice PCI card with something like 16 inputs, but its a lot more than you want to spend. if you are serious about getting good recordings, i would recomend saving up a bit more.

and you will probably get better results in riffs and recordings, so i think ill move it there for you.
Ok im gonna hook you up with some info.
Do not get CREATIVE anything.

Instead, get this M-AUDIO DELTA 1010 LT

This will give you 10 SEPERATE INDIVIDUAL TRACKS to your computer,because trust me...you are gonna want more than one microphone on the drumkit when and if down the line you WILL need it.
Just get a couple adapters and your set.

Trust me..nothing comes close to this for $200 bucks!

Your welcome
Last edited by PsychomanZ at Mar 18, 2007,
Hey chatlo, have a look at allans music, they have M-Audio Fast Track USB interfaces for $199.
Bypasses the soundcard, and gives much better quality audio.
Quote by PsychomanZ
Ok im gonna hook you up with some info.
Do not get CREATIVE anything.

Instead, get this M-AUDIO DELTA 1010 LT

This will give you 10 SEPERATE INDIVIDUAL TRACKS to your computer,because trust me...you are gonna want more than one microphone on the drumkit when and if down the line you WILL need it.
Just get a couple adapters and your set.

Trust me..nothing comes close to this for $200 bucks!

Your welcome

Dang it you beat me to it!
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.