In your opinion what is as cheap as you can go when shopping for a decent valve/tube amp. Preferably Half stack. So add in the price of a good matching cab.
I've read around UG for a while and the peavey valvekings seem to be the cheapest decent valve amps but people say they are in reliable.
So what do you reckon you have to spend?
Also, suggestions of amps would be good as well
Epiphone Valve Jr? I've heard great stuff about them, and they are fairly cheap for a valve head. Not sure how much a decent cab will cost you though.
Quote by matt_moonhead
How much gain do the valve jr's have?

till the perfect classic-rock level, i think.

as for a decent cab...lucky for you you don't need to pay loads for a good cab..depending on hwere you live.
Quote by zwound
till the perfect classic-rock level, i think.

as for a decent cab...lucky for you you don't need to pay loads for a good cab..depending on hwere you live.

I live in Australia
I know the pain all too well lol
go and check out the Framus 2 x 12 cab then. it has 2 vintage 30's and is only $700aud so its a freaking good deal
Why do you feel you need a halfstack?

I can't really help you with pricing in Australia, which I understand is insane, but I can tell you that you could probably get by just fine with a 30W 1x12 combo. Something that size will be suitable for gigs and blowing out your bedroom windows.

Also, if a halfstack is something you want, the 5W Epi VJ head is probably not what you're looking for.

And I'm not a fan of the Valveking. Not a fan of the tone, and wary of the quality.

For better advice about "which amp" is for you, an idea of what kind of music you play and what you want the amp for (gigs, bedroom, etc.) would help a lot.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
What styles do you play? How much power are you looking for? Will it be run through a PA for bigger gigs? Do you REALLY need a halfstack because you could get a good tube combo amp.
EDIT: Are you gonna use pedals with it?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by goatslullaby
Laney GH50L

Well also depends where he lives, but they rock!!
i'd say peavey windsor, or laney gh50l (haven't tried that exact laney, but the other laney's i've tried have been nice...).

probably with that framus cab azn mentioned.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slatsmania
Why do you feel you need a halfstack?

I can't really help you with pricing in Australia, which I understand is insane, but I can tell you that you could probably get by just fine with a 30W 1x12 combo. Something that size will be suitable for gigs and blowing out your bedroom windows.

Also, if a halfstack is something you want, the 5W Epi VJ head is probably not what you're looking for.

And I'm not a fan of the Valveking. Not a fan of the tone, and wary of the quality.

For better advice about "which amp" is for you, an idea of what kind of music you play and what you want the amp for (gigs, bedroom, etc.) would help a lot.

He wants a halfstack because he wants a halfstack, you idiot. I'm getting really sick of your uninformed posts on the Valveking as well.

As far as the valveking, go read OWNER reviews, search for the tone and clips on youtube.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
^ don't call slats an idiot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey windsor. 100w, voiced like the JCM800, but with a little peavey and vintage tint. Lots of tone, just got mine today.
Quote by ParryPerson
He wants a halfstack because he wants a halfstack, you idiot. I'm getting really sick of your uninformed posts on the Valveking as well.

As far as the valveking, go read OWNER reviews, search for the tone and clips on youtube.
What if he wants a half-stack because he thinks he needs it, but really doesn't? It would be better to inform and advise him, and if he still wants a half-stack, point him in the right direction. Please, try and be act little more mature than going are people who probably know more than you or me idiots.

What's your style of playing? As cheap as you can go for a decent valve amp, that I know of, is the Epi Valve Jr.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Peavey Windsor, Peavey Valveking, Pignose G40, Pignose G60, B-52ST series, Randall RH50T
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by ParryPerson

I hate to see people burn money on something they don't need. A lot of kids think they HAVE TO HAVE a 100W halfstack, or they don't really have an amp. When the reality is that a 30W combo (or less!) will more than suit their needs.

The VK head gets better reviews than the combo, whose owners don't seem to like it much more than I do. Which says something, as I find human nature is for people to pimp their own gear to contininue to feel good about their purchases... good or bad.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.