Man, it's hard to deal with the moron bassist who seems to be confused with his role as "bassist." He's always doing some crazy scaling out of place, and, though it would be impressive as a bass solo, it totally ruins the song. Oh I just want to beat the bejeezus out of his amp. Every time he busts an amp (from maxing the volume too often), he buys a bigger one I swear. And he turns the volume up so high I can feel my shit getting liquefied while I solo.
^_^
Thank god my bassist ain't like that, and hell they're few and far between these days.
Talk to him, maybe use the rest of the band as pressure too, and show him recordings of pro bands and show how the bass is in the back ground and not the highlight of the music.
yea,i know where your coming from.my band bassist does the same dam thing.just talk to him and tell him he needs to turn down and that his "job" is to be in the backround and it should b fine
I'd advise you to throw a bass solo (doesnt have to be long) into one of your songs, thats how my old band kept me happy.....id solo into the breakdown of the song. Just let him be heard. No one member of the band is more important than the other.
What do you expect him to do? Play some 3 note bassline throughout the entire song?
I'd be pissed too.

Sounds like you want all the attention for yourself. The bass guitar's "job" is whatever sounds good, it's not just to stay in the back of the band.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 18, 2007,
I know. Its not like I'm asking him to disappear. He already gets more than enough solos, in almost every other song in fact. Trust me. It's overboard.
^_^
It really only sounds like you want more of the attention to yourself.

Just ask him not to drown everyone else out with his bass, play the song how it's supposed to be, and his solos will come. But there's no need to be rude about it.

Ooh. Better yet; how about you play bass since you know more about how to be in a band and such?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by greendayguitar
It really only sounds like you want more of the attention to yourself.

Just ask him not to drown everyone else out with his bass, play the song how it's supposed to be, and his solos will come. But there's no need to be rude about it.

Ooh. Better yet; how about you play bass since you know more about how to be in a band and such?

This is ridiculous. I have seen bassists like this. Each band is different. To me, a band builds a song. The drums are the foundation...the beat. Without a beat, you don't have music. You have a bunch of random sounds. The beat is what keeps everyone together. Each instrument is like a bridge to another level. The bass builds on the beat that the drums make and crate a bridge to the guitar. Sometimes you have a rhythm guitar that is a bridge between the bass and the lead guitar. On top of everything is the vocals.
Of course other instruments can be added but they are usually just icing on the cake. Sometimes you can substitute other instruments for the one mentioned above. You may have a keyboard instead of a bass (the Doors).
Some bands like to switch the "roles" of the instruments (Primus) for example.
The bottom line is that you and your band-mates need to have a discussion about what kind of band you want to be. If he doesn't play bass the way the band feels that he should, then he is obviously not mixing well with the rest of you and should be fired. The longer you put this off, the longer it will take you to get it right. Hope this helps.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head
Mesa 412 slant cab
Monster Power Pro 2500 Power Conditioner
TC Electronic G-Force
SKG Rack Case
Yamaha acoustic
Quote by mrmnson
This is ridiculous. I have seen bassists like this. Each band is different. To me, a band builds a song. The drums are the foundation...the beat. Without a beat, you don't have music. You have a bunch of random sounds. The beat is what keeps everyone together. Each instrument is like a bridge to another level. The bass builds on the beat that the drums make and crate a bridge to the guitar. Sometimes you have a rhythm guitar that is a bridge between the bass and the lead guitar. On top of everything is the vocals.
Of course other instruments can be added but they are usually just icing on the cake. Sometimes you can substitute other instruments for the one mentioned above. You may have a keyboard instead of a bass (the Doors).
Some bands like to switch the "roles" of the instruments (Primus) for example.
The bottom line is that you and your band-mates need to have a discussion about what kind of band you want to be. If he doesn't play bass the way the band feels that he should, then he is obviously not mixing well with the rest of you and should be fired. The longer you put this off, the longer it will take you to get it right. Hope this helps.

I never said that bass was lesser of an instrument or anything like that. I simply said that he should ask the bassist not to completely drown out everyone else which he said he was doing, and to tell him to try and stick to the song, instead of adding in crazy, random out-of-key solos that don't fit. I didn't say tell him to just play a certain thing each song.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
of course not.. it's not like I'm chaining him to root notes. I ask him to do his thing, just remember that we're his teamates, not his backing band. Sometimes he kinda screws up the verses because his crazy scales overwhelm the vocals..
^_^
im a bassist and guitarist, the problem is there are very few EXTREMELY well known bassists, 5 max and he just dont want to be put in the back like most bassists are, so let him have the odd solo but tell him to turn it down or take a hike.
hi ,
in my opinion a solo only works when the band listen to each other , you can have the "best" solo in the world but if the band is listening to each other it will sound awful .
in regards to the "crazy scales" overwhelming the vocals , i suggest you ask the bass player to work through the crazy scales with the vocalist , let them meet halfway way ,
"crazy scales " with a bass and vocals in unison coulds sound amazing .
at the end of the day , what ever you are feeling will come out in your bands sound, it is important you are open with you feeling to each other but you deal with them in a positive way .
thats just my advice ...
well.. i'm making a little progress.. the whole band sat down and had a little chitchat.
^_^
you guys sound like my guitar player. he's pissed i have a 700 watt G-k 1/2 stack and i like to solo. for example last practice we were jamming and i don't like playing 4 chord lines i just like riffing in key so the guitar player couldn't solo over because he has no clue what theory is other than something i keep telling him to learn. so i soloed all 5 or so minutes of the jam

long story short let bassists have their fun because there's always another band that needs one
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
For some songs there are some very bass-necessary areas. However, lately music is all about blasting about power chords as loud as possible.

In truth guitar and bass should not always be doing the same thing. Take any real Muse song, or anything by Deep Purple. You can hear the bass because it's holding a different tune from the guitar.
man i feel that so hard
I shot JR

Quote by Drmckool
you guys sound like my guitar player. he's pissed i have a 700 watt G-k 1/2 stack and i like to solo. for example last practice we were jamming and i don't like playing 4 chord lines i just like riffing in key so the guitar player couldn't solo over because he has no clue what theory is other than something i keep telling him to learn. so i soloed all 5 or so minutes of the jam

long story short let bassists have their fun because there's always another band that needs one

I don't have anything against bass solos.. It's just all that crazy nonsense total dissonance I'm against..
^_^
ya if he/she is not gonna contribute i can see why your not happy i just do my own thing but contribute
I shot JR

well.. not all bands are gifted with that unique ability to get along. just remember Cream..
^_^
i don't get along with my band. in my band it's basically the guitar players/singer vs. me (the bassist) and the drummer is on my side ust not vocal about it. so now they do their shit and i do mine and we get along as well as possible
I shot JR

well.. maybe you should head over to my band. it's only a couple of oceans away.
^_^
Quote by Archeo Avis
What do you expect him to do? Play some 3 note bassline throughout the entire song?
I'd be pissed too.

Sounds like you want all the attention for yourself. The bass guitar's "job" is whatever sounds good, it's not just to stay in the back of the band.
I think the point is that it DOESN'T sound good, and the bassist is trying to have all the attention.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
it's gotta sound good if the bassist wants all the attention
I shot JR

Quote by Drmckool
it's gotta sound good if the bassist wants all the attention

Oh? Come again? Didn't really get what you meant there..
^_^
no ones gonna pay attention to the bassist if his bass solos suck i think is the point trying to be put across. im with all the guys who say let him have fun. just make sure he's sticking to the basis of the song and not playing all sorts of wacky stuff that doesn't fit. remember cliff burton, tons of his stuff was pretty much a solo (not always full on bass shred, but he did have his moments like "anesthesia pulling teeth") let him go off and wail as long as its tastefully done and mixed well with the rest of the song. if not then you need to sit down and say "ok here and here is where its good and here and here is where you could improve" being a psych major i'd think you'd know this.
Quote by z4twenny
no ones gonna pay attention to the bassist if his bass solos suck i think is the point trying to be put across. im with all the guys who say let him have fun. just make sure he's sticking to the basis of the song and not playing all sorts of wacky stuff that doesn't fit. remember cliff burton, tons of his stuff was pretty much a solo (not always full on bass shred, but he did have his moments like "anesthesia pulling teeth") let him go off and wail as long as its tastefully done and mixed well with the rest of the song. if not then you need to sit down and say "ok here and here is where its good and here and here is where you could improve" being a psych major i'd think you'd know this.

his bass solos don't really suck.. but it can ruin a song. for example, imagine a lead guitarist shredding away from 0:01 to 5:00. The lead wouldn't as impressive as it would have been had it been confined to a whooping burst in a solo. Because you couldn't compare the bass solo to the rest of the song..
^_^
i'be done that solo form 0:01 to 5:00 but the guitarist wasn't happy. however i think that the bassist should learn his place if it's not good. it has to be off the hook for a 5 minute solo
I shot JR

God...I had massive problems with my bassist.
>.<
He was our worst player (by far, he didn't even really know wtf he was doing), and whenever we played, if he was 'bored' as he put it, he just picked his E until the drummer got so pissed off he threw his sticks at him.

But he's gone now.
ya when i get bored i start playing slap to everything, same as when i feel funky
I shot JR

It seems that the two of you have different definitions of the word "band". He wants to make his own little Primus. Sit down with the whole band and talk things through. If the rest of the band also can't stand his views on music, then I suggest he either pulls back a little or leaves. Right now he's just keeping you down musically while you are keeping him down - nobody wins.
Quote by damienguitar
hi ,
in my opinion a solo only works when the band listen to each other , you can have the "best" solo in the world but if the band is listening to each other it will sound awful .
in regards to the "crazy scales" overwhelming the vocals , i suggest you ask the bass player to work through the crazy scales with the vocalist , let them meet halfway way ,
"crazy scales " with a bass and vocals in unison coulds sound amazing .
at the end of the day , what ever you are feeling will come out in your bands sound, it is important you are open with you feeling to each other but you deal with them in a positive way .
thats just my advice ...

This might not be a half bad idea, but is sounds to me like the bassist wouldn't even know how to play the same notes twice! Totally random once totally different twice..
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
When you seriously think you have to reaplace a band member, chances are you do.

On a side note. How many bassists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

1 but the guitarist has to show him how!
^ LOL, thats a good one. but seriously though i'd be glad if i knew a bassist that could write a good constant bass solo it'd add a greater level of depth and complexity. thats just me though, if its not your thing then think about getting a new bassist.
Quote by MiG_853
When you seriously think you have to reaplace a band member, chances are you do.

On a side note. How many bassists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

1 but the guitarist has to show him how!

please..

of course, not all bassists are that silly.. when somone has someything to ask about theory or harmonies, the guy to ask is usually the bassist..

sometimes..
^_^