Page 1 of 2
I'm pretty sure its most of UG's dream that they could make a living being in a sweet band, but I'm not sure if this is plausible in the modern music industry. I was listening to a Dillinger Escape Plan interview and they said ocne the tours over, they go home and get part time jobs. From what I've read no ones living very comfortably of their wages, which leaves me wondering can you live comfortably and not been a mainstream metal abnd like system of a down or A7X. Thoughts ?
play shred and move to japan
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Only if you end up being a band like Maiden and *insert other widely accepted metal band*.

Just my opinion though.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
It depends how long you've been going and who you are.

I mean, Chimaira have started to make money after their 3rd album and they can afford like flash cars and shit...

whereas someone like Napalm Death have had like 14 albums and probably living in a normal house, with your ordinary car and such.

I think if your a band in say.. Machine Head's position (not mainstream, but not exactly underground), you make more than you would at a normal job.

I dunno.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
Depends on how much money you blow on cocaine whilst on tour
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
its not just metal, its any type of music in general. Id say over 90% of bands just make enough money to keep touring and keep playing. Its rare to be in a band and get major mainstream success and become rich and famous, most bands that do become famous do what they can to make money (clothing lines, studio, producing, media success)

trust me though, im doing the whole tour, and work partime thing. Ended up doing our own screen printing, band merch stuff a like, and to be able to play music the majority of the time and traveling and making enough money to keep doing it is probably as good as stuff gets, anything else is just gravy

errr we dont play metal, but you get my point.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
metal seems to be getting more popular again, so yeah there might be in a few years. but generally theres a bit more money for that sort of thing in europe.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Any money in metal? Dunno man smithing isn't that good a profession, try fishing.

Nah seriously; if a band is generic and follows the trend of the time they are sadly so much more likely to pick up a myspace fanbase and "fame".
Been searching, and just an example, for strapping young lad, its reconed their alien album sold 75-100,000 worldwide. I'm not sure how much money that'd make a band. I read somewhere for independent its about 2 dollars an album, so um....200,000 dollars / 4 band members = 50,000 each. taht seems okay but for an album every 2 years it mite be a bit tougher
there isn't that much money, in most underground genres anyway. But if you're playing metal for money then you shouldn't be in it anyway

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
in my opinion its really hard getting anywhere playing metal...its alot easier getting anywhere with say indie, rock or blues.
Quote by zwound
in my opinion its really hard getting anywhere playing metal...its alot easier getting anywhere with say indie, rock or blues.

Easier playing blues? You gotta be pissing me mate.

It's the younger generation who make bands get ££$$£$£$£$, through their attitudes, fashion, the way they spend and merch, etc.

Most of the under 20's (especially) bum the hell out of all these scene bands and samey indie bands here, and hey presto, they chart.

An unsigned band called Enter Shikari who didnt get above chart position 155 a few months ago got to like pre order number 3 soley from word of mouth through myspace and what have you. (They are a very generic emocore band with so called rave influences that imho don't exist).
^it depends where. there's alot of people who like blues here, but everyone plays glam-rock and screamo metal, so if you have any blues skill at all, then you'll do good here...classicish rock is good here too (noone makes it, but peaople want it).
It's probably different in the states, here though I don't really know any younger people who listen to decent classic rock and blues, though of course you get a few kids who reckon they are God's for knowing of Led Zeppelin and so on.
^ i dont live in the states , i live in Estonia...thats eastern Europe

(or were you reffereing to self?)
Like any type of music you only make money if you get popular, I can safely say Metallica, Maiden etc have a pretty penny tucked away somewhere.
Quote by Jackolas

An unsigned band called Enter Shikari who didnt get above chart position 155 a few months ago got to like pre order number 3 soley from word of mouth through myspace and what have you. (They are a very generic emocore band with so called rave influences that imho don't exist).

They didn't half work hard though. They started out playing gigs in Amersham and Chesham and got quite a following. Then they basicly disapeared for 3 years. The first time I saw em after they stop gigging was on Kerrang. That doesn't happen with out effort.

(If your wondering how I know, its coz i used to be mates with them coz the Amersham venue is about 5 mins away from me and my guitar teacher was incharge of the promotion company)
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Look at Dream Theater, Mastodon, and Opeth. Great metal bands that are getting lots of money. I would go as far as to say that there's more money in metal nowadays. Because of the internet and whatnot underground bands can be imensely popular just by putting albums on the internet for sale. But they still have to play shows.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Its my dream to play music for a living, even if I don't go major mainstream. I'm gonna get good grades, but is it worth persisting with music if you're good enough?
Quote by the1
Its my dream to play music for a living, even if I don't go major mainstream. I'm gonna get good grades, but is it worth persisting with music if you're good enough?

Make sure you have something to fall back on but you might as well go for it, you'll always wonder what would've happened if you didn't.
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
there isn't that much money, in most underground genres anyway. But if you're playing metal for money then you shouldn't be in it anyway

you need money to live. without living you cant play any metal.

and thats not his point anyway, hes asking if you can get rich while playing metal, not if you can play metal to get rich.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
hm, it's not really most comfortable to discuss earning money with music...i mean at least when talking about LOADS of money someone wants to make. it's important to keep money and music separate...

i wanna earn money by playing music, simply coz im too lazy and hate being bossed about, even if im gonna be poor, and live in a basement with a friend, i think my life would still me more worthwhile as a musician, that some CEO.

i don't seek the riches, i just wanna earn enough to eat, and buy clothes and have a home...but as far as mansions go...that's not cool.
Metal doesn't get radio plays, so that's a major stream of income out the window there. And artists get a crappy % of record sales, so basically it all comes down to gigging (unless you hit the Mainstream, obviously). Basically I think it's a sliding scale based on your success, with a tipping point somewhere that allows you to live off music without needing supplementary income.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by TheUnholy
Metal doesn't get radio plays, so that's a major stream of income out the window there. And artists get a crappy % of record sales, so basically it all comes down to gigging (unless you hit the Mainstream, obviously). Basically I think it's a sliding scale based on your success, with a tipping point somewhere that allows you to live off music without needing supplementary income.

This guy is the only person who seems to know what he's talking about so far...

Artists get bugger all money from record sales. For one, you get about £1 for each record sold (this is for a major record company - like Roadrunner for example). First off, the manager takes 20% of that. Then the remaining 80p is divided amongst the band members. Ok, so that sounds like you might be able to make a lot of money if you sell hundreds of thousands of records. Mainly because you've got to recoup your advance. The record company would give you an advance to live off/record your album. You don't make a penny off record sales untill you've recouped that - so don't expect to see any money through record sales in a long time.

The main revenue for a band making money is through radio play, synchronisations and merchandise. Metal doesn't get much radio play, so don't think you're going to be getting much money through that. Synchronisations are good though, there are plenty of films and tv programmes that want some good heavy metal tracks in them (for action scenes etc) and that can pay a lot of money.

Merchandise is another good one. Metal fans are usually into their black band t-shirts - nobody seems without one nowadays, so you can be sure to sell your fair share of them. Metal merchandise sells a lot better than any other genre, for example if you look at the two most successful merch-selling bands, thats Iron Maiden and KISS. Well, KISS aren't quite metal, but they're getting there.

Basically, there isn't a great deal of money to be made out of metal. But thats not why people do it. You don't join a metal band because you want to be rich, you join it because you want to make a living doing what you love, playing metal!
are we sure bands make moeny gigging ? i've heard alot of cases where tours has been more expensive than the money made. Look at slipknots IOWA tour, supposedly that didnt recoup what it costed. It might just be a mainstream thing though, I guess if ur a smaller metal band, without the pyrotechnics and laods of equipment its quite a bit less expensive. Especially if u decide to live in ur van.
Quote by Eggmond
play shred and move to japan

+1

It worked for Marty Friedman!
That's the way it should be. You shouldn't be rich from playing a guitar, you should have to work your ass off as well.
Dickless.
Quote by Jackolas
Easier playing blues? You gotta be pissing me mate.

It's the younger generation who make bands get ££$$£$£$£$, through their attitudes, fashion, the way they spend and merch, etc.

Most of the under 20's (especially) bum the hell out of all these scene bands and samey indie bands here, and hey presto, they chart.

I like Enter Shikari.
R E G G A E
Quote by Superpartydude5
Yeah, the world should be more like metalocalypse, where everything is run by one metal band.

I would certainly love to be able to cause mass suicide by delaying my album 15 times. Take that, Axl Rose.

Quote by Tom Martin
Basically, there isn't a great deal of money to be made out of metal. But thats not why people do it. You don't join a metal band because you want to be rich, you join it because you want to make a living doing what you love, playing metal!

Seconded, thirded, and fourthed.
There never was money to be made in metal unless you're extremely lucky and found the right "formula," so to speak, i.e. Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, or if you're extremely commercial, i.e. Metallica, KoRn, Slipknot.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Tom Martin
This guy is the only person who seems to know what he's talking about so far...

Heh, that's what being weird enough to attend council workshop's on the music industry gets you

Good point on the syncs and merch - the only thing being that before anyone buys your merch or likes your songs enough to sync 'em, they have to hear your music. THIS is the point of record sales as far as finances go - it's a nice big advert. But yeah, the examples you've given there show that as far as money goes, playing music doesn't perfectly lend itself to the purpose - you've got to find odd ways of connecting the two.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
most metal bands have to work regular jobs when they aren't on tour. There is just no money in it, at least for the first few years you do it. Some bands like Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel have been doing it long enough and have enough of a following that they don't have to work day jobs. Still, they aren't rich, they just make enough to live comofortably.
Read my post. Not this.
Hmm...im not sure if its the most rewarding thing ever either. It sucks thinking that so many great bands havent got their parade, and it must be annoying that 99% of people are going to think "OMG he sounds like hes vomiting" or something, and not even give you a chance. Even by other musicians. I read recently Systnser gates slagged of Dillinger Escape Plan saying they were just noise. Who the hell does he think he is, saying that about people that are twice the musicians that he will ever be. It must be fustrating at times for these guys.
It would be hard. No one plays metal on the radio, and record sales don't bring in that much money.

They could get money from touring, merch, endorsements(*cough*Zakk Wylde)
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Being original and making money? In METAL?

HAHAHAHAHA
You'd be better off buying some magic beans and stealing the giant's dough at the top of the beanstalk there, buddy. Seriously, metal is at its absolute worst now. I honestly don't see how the majority are still pulling money in.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by LadyHellraiser
If you're willing to write original, unique music and create a loyal fan base, you should be able to make it.

Nah. I would say that The Locust definitely have some of the most original and unique music out there, with a pretty good fan base, but they'll never make enough money off of it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Page 1 of 2