So, by popular demand - (and sorry for the hold up) here is your weekly music theory quiz - but this time concentrating on all things jazz.

Q1. Identify the following chords.

Q1a. Identify two different keys within this progression.
Q2b. Identify two seperate chord progressions within this progression.

Q2. The following notes come together to form which chord
- G - A# - Cx - E - C - Gx - F#
(x = double sharp, ##, sharp - sharp)

Q2a. Identifty the name of the chord that is the tritone substitution of the aforementioned chord.

Q3. Four symmetrical chords can be built from the G half-step/whole-step diminished scale. Name them.

Q4. The following two chords are both the same chord, a C6. Give me the name of the type of voicing given to the second chord.

Q5. Give the name of one scale that is most commonly played over the following chords.
(One scale for one chord - All these chords are 'characteristic' chords of a certain scale, so specific answers are required)

_7#5#11

_sus (_7sus4)

_susb9 (_7sus4b9)

_7b9#9#11

_Δ#5 (_maj7#5, maj7+)

Q6. In the following melody and bass line - name the type of movement that is occuring.

.. and finally, just to test your ears out.

Q7. Identify the quality of the following chord given in the soundclip. - Click here for the soundclip.

Please send all your answers via PM to me, Johnljones7443. The deadline for answers is Friday the 23rd of March, your results along with a table of everyones scores will be posted along with the answers.

DO NOT DISCUSS ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD. General discussion/comments/feedback are welcome, but do not, do not post or discuss answers. A warning will be administered for such activities.

Good luck
Submitted!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
is this impossible to know unless you went to university for music?
I've never had musical education, so it's not impossible
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
oh dear god....
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
^
Quote by John
Please send all your answers via PM to me, Johnljones7443. The deadline for answers is Friday the 23rd of March, your results along with a table of everyones scores will be posted along with the answers.

Quote by kirbyrocknroll
No witty title?

Great quiz, John. I doubt I'll get 1-3 of these right

Sorry kirb. John is a bit of a spoil sport I guess . My suggestion was

"In-Quiz-Ition Week 4: JohnlJazz15"

Awesome things aside, this does look like a toughy, hurrah!
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
^ really?
I thought this one was easier than the last few, but then again i've sucked at all of them!
Quote by nightwind
Sorry kirb. John is a bit of a spoil sport I guess . My suggestion was

"In-Quiz-Ition Week 4: JohnlJazz15"

Awesome things aside, this does look like a toughy, hurrah!

Hmm...is JohnLJones getting soft. No, this can't be.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
In the first thread for this someone said they wanted to see one of the quizzes from me. You guys still want that?

I'm just catching up on everything, so
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Quote by Corwinoid
In the first thread for this someone said they wanted to see one of the quizzes from me. You guys still want that?

I'd like to see it. And I should have my answers in within a day or two.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Got my answers in. Took a FREAKING long time, because i was double checking my stuff, and trying to convert double sharps to other notes to comprehend easier..basically making stuff more complicated than it is. But thats just how my mind works. Not convenient.

Also, speaking of inconvinience, i had to send mine in 2 PMs because my answers were long.

EDIT: i had to fix #5 because i just came across the answer..so if you see three messages from me, read pt 1, then the fix, then pt 2. Sorry for clogging up your PM box
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Mar 18, 2007,
Submitted!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by Corwinoid

Word. I probably won't do particularly well, but that'd give me a lot to set my sights on learning.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
And submitted. Good quiz, John.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
man..at school today i was thinking, and i made a stupid mistake on number 2. I wasnt so sure on that one, though, so it doesnt bother me much. Definately not going to bother you with another fix PM though.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

submitted...i tried it without using any resources but my brain. if i bomb it, maybe next time i'll hit the books...
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
#2 seems pretty fundamentally flawed. No one in their right mind would choose to look at that group of notes in that way...zero application at all. Still fun to think about...I'm not sure how to make those particular tones into the chord that you are looking for.

I assume we can't look at it enharmonically, right? Otherwise it would be pretty easy.

EDIT: Got it, and it was a lot more intuitive than I thought it would be. And I retract my statement about not having any application.
Last edited by theodds at Mar 20, 2007,
Quote by theodds
#2 seems pretty fundamentally flawed. No one in their right mind would choose to look at that group of notes in that way...zero application at all. Still fun to think about...I'm not sure how to make those particular tones into the chord that you are looking for.

I assume we can't look at it enharmonically, right? Otherwise it would be pretty easy.

EDIT: Got it, and it was a lot more intuitive than I thought it would be. And I retract my statement about not having any application.

Yeah, once you look at it the right way, it seems to fall into place pretty nicely.

Unless I did it totally wrong
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Question 3 seems kind of vague...could you be more specific about what it's asking for? There are 16 chords built on four different sets of tones that I can think of off the top of my head that fit the description of symmetrical in the octatonic scale....
Last edited by theodds at Mar 20, 2007,
^Yeah, I kind of messed up on that one and then realised it when I got a load of answers I didn't want, but are still right.

So any four symmetrical chords you can build from it will be accepted as a correct answer.

.. and #2 isn't me being tricky, the notes are written like that to show the function of each note - if I'd have written them enharmonically, I would have got a load of wrong answers (I got one submission from someone who looked at them enharmonically and ended up getting it wrong).. so they do have an application.

@6DgOfInTb - Hey it's no problem.

There's been 10 submissions so far, so keep 'em coming - and use this as a warm up for when Cor posts his quiz, heh.

Quote by Johnljones7443
(I got one submission from someone who looked at them enharmonically and ended up getting it wrong).. so they do have an application.

lol, I think that's me now that I look at it without using enharmonics... I found another answer. Whoops
Quote by Johnljones7443

.. and #2 isn't me being tricky, the notes are written like that to show the function of each note - if I'd have written them enharmonically, I would have got a load of wrong answers (I got one submission from someone who looked at them enharmonically and ended up getting it wrong).. so they do have an application.

@6DgOfInTb - Hey it's no problem.

aka me. That one hurt my head, and i obviously couldnt figure it out right
O.S.I.

Check out my profile