Page 1 of 22
How many of the popular basslines do you know? Can you hear how a bassline links to a well known song?

You only get to record and post a song for people to guess if you correctly guess a song yourself. You should record the main groove only, you can use drum tracks if you wish. Please, no 18th Century Hugarian folk songs. Popular music only ! Please, no SPAM in this thread. If you get it right and you cannot record yourself, please say so and it will be first to call it..

OK, get the ball rolling i will start us off with a nice easy one.

What song is this?

http://download.yousendit.com/E02B80E0476DD985
Last edited by Applehead at Mar 18, 2007,
Well done, 10 cool points for having good music taste. Will you record or pass it on?
Argh - I want to play but I'm not set up for recording at the moment. I'll see what I can do this evening.
Applehead's one is Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder, and Trinidex's one is broken link by *Enter something witty*
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Here's a second bass line, from a popular jazz tune, played the riff over the whole progression, and I lost tempo a bit in the middle because I wasn't really concentrating.

http://p-box.dmusic.com/music/
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
well done, and what a great tune!
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
well done, and what a great tune!

Agreed.

Ok, I'll see if I can get anything decent recorded to post in the next hour or so. My setup is not ideal at the moment--10 watt amp, laptop and external mic. If I can't get it to work, I'll edit this post and pass...
Haha, now here's a good thread. This has been done before in tab form, but recording is a first so...groovy shizz .
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by anarkee
Agreed.

Ok, I'll see if I can get anything decent recorded to post in the next hour or so. My setup is not ideal at the moment--10 watt amp, laptop and external mic. If I can't get it to work, I'll edit this post and pass...

If you've got a line cable, and a jack adapter, try plugging your bass straight in to the line in socket?
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
If you've got a line cable, and a jack adapter, try plugging your bass straight in to the line in socket?

Tone rape hurts my ears
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
^LOL, No on the adapters and if it can't get it sounding anywhere decent, I won't offend anyone's ears and just pass...
So you're passing then? I'm confuzzled.

Edit: okay, reread the post 5-6 times, nevermind, you're passing IF you can't get it to sound right without plugging it straight in, haha...gotcha
Kabir
Last edited by UndeadPaperclip at Mar 18, 2007,
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
So you're passing then? I'm confuzzled.

Edit: okay, reread the post 5-6 times, nevermind, you're passing IF you can't get it to sound right without plugging it straight in, haha...gotcha

I got something--give me about 10 minutes to post...
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=6FF017267FAA6A56

Ok--bear with the sound quality...Its an easy one. I had to teach it to someone today, so it came readily to mind...
Lady Madonna by The Beatles? I haven't heard it in a while, so I could be wrong.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by canadianpunk071
Lady Madonna by The Beatles? I haven't heard it in a while, so I could be wrong.

Correct!! You're up next!
Quote by anarkee
Correct!! You're up next!

Sweet, if I had been wrong I think someone would've hurt me. I have to pass it off though, I have no recording capabilities
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by canadianpunk071
Sweet, if I had been wrong I think someone would've hurt me. I have to pass it off though, I have no recording capabilities

What the hell, I'll take it. I'm bored with an open mic line...

Pretty easy tune, ignore the little part at the end, I uh...I'm a tad widdle bid ADD.
EDIT: Nevermind, someone beat me to it, removed link for the song.
Kabir
Any guesses anyone?
Founder of Jaco society

nope, that's just an idea me and my mate had for a band name, and we never came up with anything better...
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
Any guesses anyone?

It sounds slightly familiar, but honestly..I don't have a damn clue

Maybe someone else will..hopefully.
Kabir
I didn't play the whole thing otherwise it'd be too easy. I'll give it a while then I'll stick in a clue.
Founder of Jaco society

I dont have a clue dudes..
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I'm trying to think of a clue without giving it all away...

EDIT: Frank Sinatra called it the greatest love song ever written.
Founder of Jaco society

Last edited by sinan90 at Mar 18, 2007,
is it "Something"?
Kabir
Yup! Was the clue too obvious?
Founder of Jaco society

Undead! up next, ears open for the next line! *bass roll*
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by sinan90
Yup! Was the clue too obvious?

Nope, Google just rules

Here we go, fairly easy, the little bit at the end has nothing to do with the song but..oh well

http://andrewdoyle.dmusic.com/music/stream/hifi/349333/.ddfcedda/stream.m3u
Kabir
Chameleon - Herbie Hancock

I can't believe you cheated with my bassline!

Someone else can record if I'm right, I've got to go.
Founder of Jaco society

I dont Know, it sounds formillia, im guessing its going to be a metal song(narrows it down to 100 000 or so if it is)
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join