I have a Mexican made standard strat (HSS) with a maple neck/fretboard. I love the bright sound of the maple neck, but this the second one I've had where the neck has enough inconsistencies to not allow a really good set up with really good action. I took it to the official Fender repair guy in my area who played with it for a little while and basically said it was as good as it was going to get, and set up "reasonably". It is pretty decent, but at the same time my son's squire (rosewood fretboard) has better action, and another friend just bought a new Schecter (rosewood fretboard) with better action. The problem really lies in the small inconsistencies of the neck, causing small raises on frets that can't be eliminated with truss rod adjustments. You can kind of see some small waves if you really look at it. The fender guy says in general, you'll get better action out of a rosewood fretboard. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this and could back it up or explain it?
I cant back it up, but I can tell you something. Rosewood necks may have better action, so thats why a lot of shredders, and heavy players like them, you get a better grip on the fretboard also. But Maple necks on the other hand are coated with a slippery plastic, and makes bends and slides a lot more fluid and cleaner. Personally I'll never get a Rosewood neck guitar, because after playing a Maple neck for so long it just seems unnatural.
Quote by I'm_Guitarded
yea, but perhaps this was meant to be...
there could be a handful of stoners somewhere in Jersey that are on the verge of creating a new metal...a new thrash metal...

...or were all screwed =]

Deluxe Ash Strat MIA '96+DynatouchIII Deluxe900
Huh, choice of wood dont make your action goes wild...

Have the frets rechecked by a professional tech, make sure they're all leveled, also make sure that your neck isnt twisted or anything. Check whether your neck have been shimmed, it "could've" been removed by someone at some point.

And what do you mean... "fender" guy???
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I think the biggest difference that you'll notice really is just the colour. Like when I play a Rosewood fretboard it takes me longer to realise where I am fretwise compared with a maple one. Weird.

But in terms of action and being setup the type of wood doesn't really matter, just the quality of the neck.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I dont care what they look like....I prefer rosewood over maple by a lot
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Idk, I have a mim strat with a maple fretboard and it has the lowest action ive ever seen on any guitar before. It makes playing anything else feel really awkard.
Quote by madpickin03
..snip..And what do you mean... "fender" guy???

I mean the official Fender service tech in my area, who works out of an independent store. I found him on the Fender website:

http://fender.com/support/service_centers/index.php

He works on all brands guitars, and I would assume Fender subs out their warranty and repairs to him. He's not young, and seemed pretty darned knowledgeable (in the 20 minutes I spent with him). He spent a lot of time with the straight edges on the neck, and the frets were all within spec. There are some small high spots at around the 11-13 frets that I can actually see when looking down the neck, and those affect the buzzing when fretting frets 7-9. But's it's not terrible, and apparently within spec. It's just that it's not a good as two cheaper guitars with rosewood fretboards I know of, and he said that you generally get better action from rosewood. So I'm wondering if people have heard that.
maple fretboards usually have a nasty feeling finish. i think that's why i don't like them as much as rosewood, but i've never played an unfinished maple one.
Quote by itzed
I mean the official Fender service tech in my area, who works out of an independent store. I found him on the Fender website:

http://fender.com/support/service_centers/index.php

He works on all brands guitars, and I would assume Fender subs out their warranty and repairs to him. He's not young, and seemed pretty darned knowledgeable (in the 20 minutes I spent with him). He spent a lot of time with the straight edges on the neck, and the frets were all within spec. There are some small high spots at around the 11-13 frets that I can actually see when looking down the neck, and those affect the buzzing when fretting frets 7-9. But's it's not terrible, and apparently within spec. It's just that it's not a good as two cheaper guitars with rosewood fretboards I know of, and he said that you generally get better action from rosewood. So I'm wondering if people have heard that.

I've totally not heard about it, doesnt make sense. Within specs or not, machines can sometimes make mistakes.

I'd say take it to an appropriate tech and have the frets/neck checked.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Don't go back to that useless tech. See a new one and say you want your frets dressed and leveled... Nothing to do with wood type everything to do with fret set up.
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
Seconded. from what I gather "within spec" seems to mean "not covered under warranty"

stupid fender....

get the frets leveled; it has nothing to do with the neck.
i'm with mad... maybe your son's guitar has a different radius or something?

i was always of the opinion that on cheaper guitars, maple was generally better quality than rosewood...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?