Alright basically, recently i've noticed I think i've changed how I hold my pick a little bit, it kind of seems like less of the pick is sticking out from my thumb than before, and I think my pick gets at a slight angle sometimes while playing as well.

I have only noticed this a few days ago when I decided to go through the MOP second solo, I was struggling incredibly on the very first bit and did the rest kinda sloppy compared to normal. But then again I hadn't played it for a while and hadn't done metrenome exercises on it for a while.

So here we are, am I holding my pick wrong?

Edit: thought i'd throw this one in to show how much the pick sticks out the back:

Last edited by sofubar at Mar 18, 2007,
Quote by DimebagJosho
well that looks ok to me.. tbh i dont like there is a specific way, just a way that suits you.

Yea but I don't want to get into a way that could hold me back in the future.
I don't see anything wrong with the way you're holding it. Generally, less pick sticking out is better because it can help you play faster due to less resistance.

EDIT: Can you show us how you held it before?
......youre asking hundreds of users online which probably have each of their own pick-holding style.........

Seriously, just hold it whatever way that's comfortable and what's best, 2 fingers or 3, curved in or out, pointed out more or not, all up to you. Practice will tell.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Do your fingers scrape against the strings, while playing? If not, then you're set.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by Scourge441
I don't see anything wrong with the way you're holding it. Generally, less pick sticking out is better because it can help you play faster due to less resistance.

EDIT: Can you show us how you held it before?

I don't really think so it had more sticking out and more straight down towards the strings I think.

and something significant is with the old way, the little joint just before the nail on your first finger would get rubbed against the strings sometimes, which caused pain sometimes, would also leave metal stuff on that joint after if you understood that?
Quote by Nirvana-Man
yea, i agree with everyone else.... you can hold it anyway thats comfortable, actually, your only using two fingers, which is good.

That's not necessarily true! There are loads of good guitarists that hold a pick with 3 fingers
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
WEll, I use a custom double pick, has 2 points on to, to trem pick 2 strings at once, so it's 100% different, so i can't help you out, but from when i used other picks, such as the dunlop jazz picks, i only have a little bit sticking out to really bring out my pinch harmonics
anyway you are comfortable with mate.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

If you slide the pick so the tip of your thumb is against it I think you'll find you have more control.
I hold the pick the same way you do, easy pinch harmonics. You can get pretty fast using it too, I can currently do about 220+ bpm. It comes handy in shred, thats if you are into shred.