whats the most usefull basic theory that a bassist can learn? i have no idea where to start.
what notes are on the fretboard. it lets you create harmonized melodies without relying on the basic chord structure. knowing that your fourteenth fret on the G and the open on the D is good, but if you know what the names of the notes are you can harmonize anything. it adds great support to your playing. also, (i'm not sure if this is theory or not) but learning slapping popping and tapping are also really good skills even if you don't play anything that uses it, because it will still give you benefit in the long run knowing these skill. cheers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
^ Actually not.

The most useful theory for ever musician is Scales, lots of them!

But i highly recommend you to learn as much theory as you can, it helps alot!
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Jazz Theory.
its mind-blowing.
learn it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Jazz theory will include most if not all of what you need to know to form the basis of most of other types of music you will ever play--scales (modes), chords, rhythym, walking bass lines---the list goes on.
I think Pentatonic scales are ze best to start with then move to major scales when your good with pentatonics, then all the stuff that ^they all said JAZZ/Swing is great to learn and expriment with.
-Member of the Bass Militia-

My gear:

Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Austin P-Style Bass
Hondo Strat
Digitech RP 100 artist
Crate Bx-25
Crate Gt-15

^ you should start with major scale, and see how pentatonics are derived, because pentatonics alone are not that good, but they can sound really well while being incorporated with other 'non pentatonic' notes still in key
Learn your modes
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!