Well everyone knows of a day where you play guitar so hard for all day long, that your fingers are just completly raw for the next day and it hurts like a B*tch to play, although this really only happens every once in a while, are there any good cures to get your fingers callused up again besides waiting a little for them to heal?
|
Cook them?

Just have patience; you mess up your fingers, you have to let them heal; just as if you'd break a leg.
you keep playing until you bleed, i think it helps when your fingers get like that and i even started playing bass my other hand is F***ked with blisters, give it time they will get use to them eventually
Quote by mr_hankey
Cook them?

That isn't as stupid as it sounds.. Whever I'm standing around at work I usually hold my fingertips against the oven door. It hardens your calousses a fair bit but they still get sore when you play a lot.

There is no quick fix. Just keep playing with sore fingers and eventually you won't even notice it anymore?
I just you know, play guitar, but not at the same level as I was the day before. That way, I am not losing anything, and my fingers are still getting calouses.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
soak them in Vinegar... learned that years ago on construction - when you have raw blisters - soak your hands in Vinegar (pie pan) and they'll harden up in a day... smarts a bit at first but works.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
keep playing. don't give them a chance to go all soft again.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
keep playing. don't give them a chance to go all soft again.

Yeah - COWBOY UP... or play the flute We've all been there - especially those of us who started on cheap-assed acoustics!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
^The Superglue skin grafts off the shoulder are attributed to SRV aren't they?

I've been back playing only nylon for a couple for weeks, but I seem to be playing enough to keep my callouses up. If there's any sign of them softening, I'll sand my fingers. I hardened my fingers up over summer practicing with 12 gauge strings, and if I didn't have time to play, I'd just put each finger on the B string, then slide it up and down the fretboard a few times, catching every fret. The last thing I want is to lose my callouses, and then be unable to play for a few days when I start again.

The Vinegar trick sounds like a good idea, although my hands might react badly to it. After years damaging my skin with petrol and kerosine (working on cars and bikes), I get contact dermititis very easily from exposure to pretty much any harsh chemical.

For some reason I'm thinking of the chemical burn scene in fight club, with brad pit saying "so you want to be a guitarist?"
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
When i first started playing, i attempted to put tape over the ends of my fingers.....

I'll go ahead and tell you that doesnt work well
This thread is 10 years old.

Check dates in the future please and dont necro.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.