Hey guys, i'm here for your help with my first guitar. I have to make a decision between buying my cousin's Dean MLX or basicly any other guitar under 400$ Can.

He is planning to sell me his Guitar + 15W amp + Stand + Tuner +Extra strings for 550 $ Canadian.

So I guess my question for you is, should I take that deal or buy my own new gear for about that price?

All input is appreciated.

Thank you,

~SeaSlash
Last edited by SeaSlash at Mar 19, 2007,
lol certainly your own gear, thats my opinion though 550? gtfo out of here with that stuff

get a guitar with an amp that is good and that you can have for a while, maybe go to guitar center or something try everything instead of just buying some randy kids dean, same goes for the amp :]

hes either ripping you off on purpose due to you not knowing much which is just ridiculous or hes completely retarded, what he doesn't know is that you're smart enough to ask on a respected site
Last edited by label at Mar 18, 2007,
Doesnt look worth it too me, I dont know much about the actual prices of guitars in canada but the dean mlx is about 200 dollar in the US and at current exchange should be about 230 dollar in Canada and the rest of the gear should be relatively cheap too theres no way an amp, a tuner, a stand and some strings should make up the 300 dollar deficit. Tell him to lower his offer or take a quick visit to the shops. You could get the same gear new for half the price. He'll know what he bought it for so it looks like he's being a dickwad and taking advantage - dont let him do it.
Last edited by Orkin at Mar 18, 2007,
Hey guys thank you for the feedback. I was looking around and I found the price for it at some random store online.

http://www.acclaim-music.com/live/customer/product.php?productid=3582&cat=&page=

$CDN 378.30 (USD$ Equivalent - 259.97)

Is that a pretty fair price for a guitar like that or would I still be getting ripped off?

EDIT:

Just found the same guitar on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dean-MLX-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ300086137881QQcategoryZ41435QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

C $233.59

Starting to think I was getting ripped off.
Last edited by SeaSlash at Mar 18, 2007,
are you sure thats what you want though? cause you could try different guitars at the store, could be there and be like wow that one is amazing? wow only 200 bucks? or like the sound of another.
Quote by label
are you sure thats what you want though? cause you could try different guitars at the store, could be there and be like wow that one is amazing? wow only 200 bucks? or like the sound of another.

Yeah.. I think i might go down to a store and try some out. Thing is, i'm pretty new at this so I would have no idea what to look for in a guitar.

I was just hearing that Dean guitars are very good guitars and that I should try to get one...
Um, Dean's aren't bad but their entry level guitars aren't necessarily the best. I rarely ever see people here being super pro-Dean if that's any comfort. DON'T be swayed like that by one person, what they like the most isn't what you will like the most.

For a first guitar, you want something that's built well that you're not going to outgrow in three months. Entry level guitars aren't all that comparable to high end ones so don't worry about that. It sounds like you like metal, take a look at the Shechter, ESP LTD, Ibanez guitars. Try stuff out.
Roland Microcube+Ibanez RG 321 if you're into hard rock - metal, if your more of a classic rock-blues sorta guy Vox AD15VT+Squier 51/Epiphone G400/Yamaha Pacifica 112
Yeah I am more into Metal / Hard Rock. I think I will ask one of my buddies to come with my to try some guitars out.

P.S I was thinking of a large enough amp. Maybe 50+ watts...

Thanks for the help guys.
Last edited by SeaSlash at Mar 18, 2007,
don't worry about wattage starting out, it's more important to have a good sounding amp, and 15 to 30 watts is still really loud for a bedroom amp, and if you like the amp a whole lot, when you start gigging any respectable place will have mics to mic your amp
Quote by Chad11491
don't worry about wattage starting out, it's more important to have a good sounding amp, and 15 to 30 watts is still really loud for a bedroom amp, and if you like the amp a whole lot, when you start gigging any respectable place will have mics to mic your amp

Alright thank you. Now I guess my question is, what guitar should I get? Any recommendation? I've looked at the IBANEZ RG 321 and it looks like a nice guitar. Is there anything else I should look for in the price range of 400$ Canadian or less?

Thanks again everybody!
no-one has said "welcome to UG" yet
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by jeowy
no-one has said "welcome to UG" yet

haha thank you sir! I've been here for a little while just never registered.
the AD30VT 30watt amp is cheap, has great reputation, im prob gonna get it possibly

or you could get the roland cube thats more for metal than the vox, which im guessing youre more into since you want a ibanez/dean
For a beginner set, I'd recommend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC100QM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516637

ESP LTD EC-100, the black/grey one is very nice, I saw it down at the shop the other day. One thing that I like about the entry level LTD's moreso than others is that they seem to always have flawless frets, fretboard and a finished neck whereas others tend not to feel as nice. They sound very good distorted but not as great cleans, but that's fine. You can swap out the pickups for some EMGs in the future. I think that as a beginner, those things are absolutely vital since you need a responsive guitar that feels solid, and it's important that you don't get stuck with gear you'll outgrow in a few months.

And I'd go with a Vox AD15VT amp. Yes it sounds like not much wattage, but in my apt I literally can't go over 1/8th total volume without my floors/fixtures vibrating. Eviction isn't cool, but for an entry level amp that's gonna sound very nice and somewhat tubelike with all sorts of effects and such, the Vox is perfect. The Roland cubes are nice too, not so much the 15 watter but side by side I've found that the Vox is better for my tastes (which is mostly progressive metal).

This should run you about $550-$600 Canadian, any less than that you'll get stuck with bland gear that you'll wish you paid more for in like three months.
Quote by pub hero
For a beginner set, I'd recommend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC100QM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516637

ESP LTD EC-100, the black/grey one is very nice, I saw it down at the shop the other day. One thing that I like about the entry level LTD's moreso than others is that they seem to always have flawless frets, fretboard and a finished neck whereas others tend not to feel as nice. They sound very good distorted but not as great cleans, but that's fine. You can swap out the pickups for some EMGs in the future. I think that as a beginner, those things are absolutely vital since you need a responsive guitar that feels solid, and it's important that you don't get stuck with gear you'll outgrow in a few months.

And I'd go with a Vox AD15VT amp. Yes it sounds like not much wattage, but in my apt I literally can't go over 1/8th total volume without my floors/fixtures vibrating. Eviction isn't cool, but for an entry level amp that's gonna sound very nice and somewhat tubelike with all sorts of effects and such, the Vox is perfect. The Roland cubes are nice too, not so much the 15 watter but side by side I've found that the Vox is better for my tastes (which is mostly progressive metal).

This should run you about $550-$600 Canadian, any less than that you'll get stuck with bland gear that you'll wish you paid more for in like three months.

Awesome. Thank you for your input. I'll have a look into it. Any other suggestions?
I'm a noob guitarist and I just had a starcaster piece of crap but am now returning it because it was such bad quality. But for my real first guitar I think I'm gonna go with the Dean MLX and a Microcube because the Dean looks like the best i'm gonna get for 200 bucks.
Hey guys, I want to bum this topic up because I just got 4 Grand in bursary's and I can now afford a decent guitar. So once again, I need a guitar for playing more rock/metal type of music (ac/dc to megadeth) and for around 500$ canadian.