Hey, I've been learning how to play "Dueling Ninjas" by Trace Bundy on my acoustic guitar (a very cool song!) but I've been having a major problem. Though I can (mostly) nail all the notes and such, I'm having trouble making the fast runs of pull ons and hammer offs audible. Here's a link to the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyY4LNkxOW0

Now, in that version, he's mic'ing his guitar and i think it's also plugged into an amp. However, I need to play this song for an audition where I won't be able to amplify my instrument at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can play the loudest? Does the position of the capo (closer to the fret bar, farther from the fret bar) or the guitar's action (higher, lower) or length of my fingernails (longer, shorter) make any sort of difference? Much obliged!

...kt
They Say Looks Don't Count for Much--If So, There Goes Your Proof.
The capo position does not matter at all, as the string length and height is affected by the fret itself, not the position of the capo.

However, the strength (or lack thereof) of slurs is something that is noticeable in beginners, or at least those that are not quite used to doing such actions on an acoustic guitar. This is primarily because of the lack of strength in the fingers, or at the very least, the lack of the correct muscle memory needed to cause those fingers to make some sweet slurs. This will come with practice, however.

That being said, the action of a guitar will most assuredly affect your ability to produce high quality slurs. Lower action, and thus tension, will produce slurs with much more volume.

And, as a side note, it is most imperative that you always keep the nails on your fretting hand short
My God, it's full of stars!
Is it legato what your trying to do? If it is, this is going to take some time to perfect, just practice scale doing hammer ons and pull offs to develope some major muscle in your hands. Do this for about 20-30 minutes a day, not so much that your straining your hand. Once your learn it, its a great technique! But for the most part you need to develop finger strength.
Thank you! I guess the real answer here is to just keep on practicing... does anyone know if gripmasters (finger strength builder things) actually work? It would give me something to do during spanish class...
You can buy some bodybuilding ones for the same price.
They do the same job, but have a wider range of intensity and can go up to much higher.
Quote by And2001PT
You can buy some bodybuilding ones for the same price.
They do the same job, but have a wider range of intensity and can go up to much higher.

You can do this, but be careful. I used my dads and WOW I almost broke my fingers haha. Dont get the regular ones, get bodybuilders because once you get strong fingers the regular ones don't help much.
That will increase grip strength, I don't know how well you will increase actual finger dexterity...

I believe your best bet is to practice; that way you are getting in valuable muscle exercises, along with muscle memory and technique development.
My God, it's full of stars!
Finger movement comes from the forearm.
Stronger forearms will give you improved endurance, strength, and speed.
Thanks, everyone--does anyone know what those bodybuilder ones are called, or where you get them? I try to always keep my fingers moving, and I practice a lot, to help with dexterity. Some specialized strength would help me at this point. I've always wondered if males have an advantage with wrist and hand strength because of a certain activity they practice quite often that most females don't... :P
Quote by Dreadnought
I believe your best bet is to practice; that way you are getting in valuable muscle exercises, along with muscle memory and technique development.

exactly... muscle memory is just as important as strength. practice practice practice!

here are some exercises i do that'll help you with this... and make your hand hurt like hell.

the numbers above the tab are telling you which fingers to use to play the notes... you should keep your hand in the same position through all of these exercises and use the correct fingers on each note.

1 - index
2 - middle
3 - ring
4 - pinky

1 2 1 1 3 1 1 4 1 
e--1h2p1-1h3p1-1h4p1-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b--------------------1h2p1-1h3p1-1h4p1-------------------------------------------------------------------------
g--------------------------------------1h2p1-1h3p1-1h4p1-------------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------------1h2p1-1h3p1-1h4p1-------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------------------------1h2p1-1h3p1-1h4p1-------------------
e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1h2p1-1h3p1-1h4p1-

1 3 2 1 4 3 1 4 2
e--1h3p2-1h4p3-1h4p2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b--------------------1h3p2-1h4p3-1h4p2-------------------------------------------------------------------------
g--------------------------------------1h3p2-1h4p3-1h4p2-------------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------------1h3p2-1h4p3-1h4p2-------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------------------------1h3p2 1h4p3-1h4p2-------------------
e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1h3p2 1h4p3-1h4p2-

1 2 4
e--1-3-5-------------------------------
b--------1-3-5-------------------------
g--------------1-3-5-------------------
d--------------------1-3-5-------------
a--------------------------1-3-5-------
e--------------------------------1-3-5-

now when you get proficient with that and you think you're the man... move on to this one:

1 4 2 1 2 4
e--1h5p3-1h3h5-------------------------------------------------------------
b--------------1h5p3-1h3h5-------------------------------------------------
g--------------------------1h5p3-1h3h5-------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------1h5p3-1h3h5-------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------1h5p3-1h3h5-------------
e--------------------------------------------------------------1h5p3-1h3h5-

also, practice these exercises starting on each fret. don't always start with 1... practice on 1 and then move to 2 and then 3 and so on.

that should keep you busy for... two years or so
thanks! those exercises look really useful.