What is the best combination, not just for one genre, but for versatility. I was looking into Seymour Duncans for the neck and then a Gibson '59 for the bridge, but I don't want the two contrasting sounds to clash. I've always heard good things about having Seymour Duncans on your neck, but then what would be the bridge pickup. Oh, and I want to keep this under $200 USD, preferably. If that's not going to happen, I have a stock bridge pickup that is a real crap Humbucker that sounds atrocious and I'll just set it to pick up only using the bridge.

Thanks in advance!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, it depends on what kinda music you plan to play with'em?
Also, what guitar is this going into?
Lastly, what kind of amp do you use?

Well, I initially wanted versatility. I play a lot or rock, jazz/blues on the odd day, but willing to sacrifice that for a premium rock sound, and the odd metal song thrown in. This will be going into a guitar that I'm re-building, which is initially a garbage SG replica, but after my tweaks, will look different. The guitar will only set me back $100, so I have money to work with upgrades.

And I play through a Vox AD30VT, but right now a Fender Prince Chorus (the antique kind, not the new one, vintage ftw!) which sounds amazing. I use that for clean and distortion, and my Vox for futuristic stuff.
It's a hardwood, I couldn't tell you for sure. I really want to say Maple though. The guitar has two pickups that look like the same kind of any Gibson Les Paul, size-wise anyway.
Maple? Probably not the whole guitae, though. Maple is hefty. So it's bright?

Eh, in any case, if you like Seymour Duncan, probably wanna look towards an SH-11 bridge / SH-2 Jazz or APH-1 Alnico Pro II in the neck for a pickup combo. The SH-11 will do rock great, and clean up nicely, too. And the SH-2 Jazz will cover blues and jazz. I use it for rock, though, as well. The Alnico Pro II is nice for rock and blues, as well, and just turn down the tone a bit for a nice jazzy tone.
I heard the SD Jazz/JB and 59/JB are pretty popular combos.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp