I have been looking at the epiphone valve junior head, and thinking about buying it. Can anyone give their opinion on it? Pro's and Con's? Thanks.
basically, tube drive. only a volume knob so it brings out the natural sound of your guitar, so pretty much you're buying a 100$ all tube head so you can save your money to buy a good guitar. overall, i think its a nice head though shit like marshall and mesa and fender (with a distortion pedal driving it) is still the absolute best
Well, it only has a volume knob, so you'd need pedals to change the tone/drive on it. I tried it out in a shop about a month ago, and it wasnt bad for a 5W amp and around $100. I'd still save the cash for something else tho.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Yea, I'm attracted to it being a tube amp....most tube amps are waaay out of my price range. If I were to buy it it would be run through a Peavey Sheffield cab with a 10" speaker.
I have 2 small tube amps (both Vintage 60's) and I bought a $39 Tubescreamer (TS-7) - I can turn the amps all the way up - turn the LEVEL knob on the TS down to a nice bedroom volume level and get the great sounds of the tubes wide open at low levels. It gives me nice rich tube distortion and sounds great! I recommend the Valve Junior and if you really want the sound to be sweet get a tubescreamer. I also bought a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal but wound up not using it as it cheapens the tube sound in my opinion. I also have 2 SS amps I use a Zoom G2 with (multi-effect pedal) - the Zoom sounds crappy with tube amps though. Just a TS-7 gives you lots of options and with the "HOT" button you can really get a nice vintage overdriven sound too.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
i think people who say you can't change the tone haven't tried the amp...

as you turn up the volume, the amount of overdrive increases AND the tone changes. Jeez.

anyway:

pros:

-tube tone on a budget.
-great classic rock tones, nice cleans.
-not *that* loud. i mean, it's crankable if you don't share any walls with neighbours, and anyone who lives with you is out.
-there are lots of mod schematics freely available if you're electronically inclined (warning: if you aren't, ignore this, you could die)

cons:

-not super-versatile. You don't want to be playing anything heavier than classic rock.
-some people complain it sounds too "dark".
-in my opinion, it's best as an addition to your rig, not as your only amp. This way you already have pedals and speakers to run it through. it's not a $99 amp if you have to buy $400 of other stuff to make it sound the way you want...
-although it's not *that* loud, it's still pretty loud when cranked. too loud for bedroom practice.
-it's not the best-designed amp in the world- the OT is the wrong impedance, etc. Though it still sounds pretty nice stock!

I think that's about it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
x2

best $99 ive ever spent.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ closer to $200 for me...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ahh, seems like we get everything cheaper. all u guys pwn us on is bks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ you get those cheaper too, we get charged 17.5% VAT on those...

ah well, we get national healthcare. and laney cheaper, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think people who say you can't change the tone haven't tried the amp...

as you turn up the volume, the amount of overdrive increases AND the tone changes. Jeez.

anyway:

pros:

-tube tone on a budget.
-great classic rock tones, nice cleans.
-not *that* loud. i mean, it's crankable if you don't share any walls with neighbours, and anyone who lives with you is out.
-there are lots of mod schematics freely available if you're electronically inclined (warning: if you aren't, ignore this, you could die)

cons:

-not super-versatile. You don't want to be playing anything heavier than classic rock.
-some people complain it sounds too "dark".
-in my opinion, it's best as an addition to your rig, not as your only amp. This way you already have pedals and speakers to run it through. it's not a $99 amp if you have to buy $400 of other stuff to make it sound the way you want...
-although it's not *that* loud, it's still pretty loud when cranked. too loud for bedroom practice.
-it's not the best-designed amp in the world- the OT is the wrong impedance, etc. Though it still sounds pretty nice stock!

I think that's about it.

pretty much covers it, i'd like to add that the thing takes pedals pretty well too.
^ ah, good point, that it does.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jj1565
x2

best $99 ive ever spent.

I just got my new Music123 catalog today. They are charging $129 now. Hope this isn't a trend. Better get them for $99 while you can.
im wondering with the current strength of the GBP, whether it wouldn't work out cheaper getting one shipped to the UK from the US
excellent amp on all aspects, and you can do a lot of modifications, good for home practice and small gigs
I have one, and alone it definitely stays in the classic rock territory. It might be too dark for some, but I run a metal muff through it at a low gain level and get an approximate stoner rock (think sleep) tone. Also, turned down it has a real nice clean tone, especially on a two-humbucker archtop.
Quote by Dave_Mc

can i compete with a drummer with it? at the same time fill a hall, but that i can do with a cab. is it loud enough to stand against a drummer and bassist's volume?
KsE

You know they rock.
^ the VJ will struggle with a drummer.
Hmm, but it takes pedals really well. get a good booster pedal and crank it to the absolute max, whoaar.
If you live in the States, you could PM Kerry (call1800kzzmyazz) and buy a modded VJ off him. He adds a lot of tone-related mods, so it should cover a lot more genre's than just a stock VJ. Tell him I sent you too
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
You won't reallly here it over the drums but If you have a PA system like my band does then you won't have to worry about it. But it does get pretty loud for 5 watts and louder if you add an OD or distortion or something.
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
Quote by RzrbldeSuitcase
im wondering with the current strength of the GBP, whether it wouldn't work out cheaper getting one shipped to the UK from the US

it'll be the wrong voltage, so you'd have to buy a transformer (around £30? something like that). then you'd have to add postage (and far as I know MF don't ship to the UK, but don't quote me on it), and then customs of around 25%.

I'm guessing it's not worth it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by de.sandman
can i compete with a drummer with it? at the same time fill a hall, but that i can do with a cab. is it loud enough to stand against a drummer and bassist's volume?

I haven't tried it in that situation, unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd imagine it will handle against a drummer but it'll be tight. Probably would be fine if you had an extension cab too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay