so i heard a lot of good things about the ibanez s470 and i was pretty set on getting it but seeing videos like this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KN2Sz16WMSY
makes me just go "wow that les paul sound is awesome" but then like i wanna use some whammy bar stuff but i also want to play a lot of drop d songs etc.

which guitar would you recommend in this situation? i play a lot of heavy stuff like children of bodom, metallica but also like to play some less metallish stuff like gary moore. seeing that the s470 is so thin and all, would it generally produce a thinner sound compared to a les paul-type guitar?

if i buy a ibanez, i'll probably get the quilt one thats around $640. for les paul, maybe an ltd ec-100? (the ones with the seymour duncans)
would it generally produce a thinner sound compared to a les paul-type guitar?
No it wouldnt, it depends on the body wood.
Personally, I'd get the Ibanez. You can probably get that tone with a good amp and good technique; also you can change out your pickups on your Ibanez for more versatility in your tone.

Quote by Gibson Phoney

Both are made of mahogany, although the Ibanez is just thinner.
The grea thing about the ZR tremolo is the fine tuners have an extended range, I can tune the entire thing to D standard without unlocking the nut, and when I do go lower the wheel in the back is easy to adjust. I regularly go drop A live, it takes about a minute.
Dickless.
Get the Ibanez if you want to use a whammy bar but if your not going to use it then whatever feels better to you
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
if you get an lp dont get the esp, get the real thing

the esp ones will handle metal better but you just cant replicate the feel of a real lp
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
Quote by Gibson Phoney

BS even tho the ibanez s series are made of mahogany they are so thin they probably will sound nothing like an LP!
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
BS even tho the ibanez s series are made of mahogany they are so thin they probably will sound nothing like an LP!

Not doubting your statement, but unless your Eric Johnson, you're not really going to find a big difference, but with that said I've never A/B the two so I couldn't say.
I've played both LP's and S-series extensively, you can definitely get a nice, heavy sound from an S-series, despite the body's thinness. The pickups and amp you're using have a bigger impact on the sound than the body. I could get just as heavy a sound out of my S470FM or Jem as I can from my LP's.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.