Anyone know how to find the ohmage of a speaker? I have a cicuit tester thing (forgot what theyre called) but i lost the instruction manual. If u want i can put a pic of it up but anyway i have this vintage 60's era 212 cab that i want to get up and running hopefully with a valve junior and i have no clue what the ohms are. If i were just to plug it into say the 4 ohm jack on the back of the VJ and it wasnt 4 ohms would it just not work or would it blow something?
EDIT: Ok the front of the tester says digital multimeater.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Mar 18, 2007,
I'm in a engineering circuits class right now and I know what you're talking about. To find the ohmage, otherwise known as resistance (in ohms) of a speaker all you have to know is the current (in amps or amperes) going through it and the voltage (volts) supplied to it. The equation is pretty elementary===>>> resistance=voltage/current or R=V/I

I don't really know what the 212 cab number means or what a valve junior is. If you have a digital multimeter it should have all three testors on there: current, voltage and resistance. To test for resistance I think you have to turn everything off first, depending on what kind of multimeter you have (cuz you may blow the fuses inside it if you have it measuring resistance). The symbol for resistance is an ohm and it looks like a greek omega sign. You want to use the AC setting because current coming from a wall outlet is AC. It should find the average resistance value that you need. If you're still stuck post another thread to this one.

Quote by soul_power
Anyone know how to find the ohmage of a speaker? I have a cicuit tester thing (forgot what theyre called) but i lost the instruction manual. If u want i can put a pic of it up but anyway i have this vintage 60's era 212 cab that i want to get up and running hopefully with a valve junior and i have no clue what the ohms are. If i were just to plug it into say the 4 ohm jack on the back of the VJ and it wasnt 4 ohms would it just not work or would it blow something?
EDIT: Ok the front of the tester says digital multimeater.
Have you looked at the back of the speakers?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by sketcher40
I'm in a engineering circuits class right now and I know what you're talking about. To find the ohmage, otherwise known as resistance (in ohms) of a speaker all you have to know is the current (in amps or amperes) going through it and the voltage (volts) supplied to it. The equation is pretty elementary===>>> resistance=voltage/current or R=V/I

I don't really know what the 212 cab number means or what a valve junior is. If you have a digital multimeter it should have all three testors on there: current, voltage and resistance. To test for resistance I think you have to turn everything off first, depending on what kind of multimeter you have (cuz you may blow the fuses inside it if you have it measuring resistance). The symbol for resistance is an ohm and it looks like a greek omega sign. You want to use the AC setting because current coming from a wall outlet is AC. It should find the average resistance value that you need. If you're still stuck post another thread to this one.

OK i cant find my digital camera but theres about a million buttons on this thing. Ok theres basically 2 seperate control panels. the first one says diode test and under it it says press ->+ then to the left of that th eres a series of buttons that read acv, ac ma, dcv, dcma, ->+ K(ohm symbol), and 20m ohm symbol. Then to the right of that there is a seperate panel w/ the following buttons. 200mv, 200ua and 200 ohm symbol all above the same button, then ->+ s, range 20, 200, and 120v 200ma and 200k ohm symbol once again above the same button. to the right of thats the power. Any idea which buttons i need to press because i have no clue what all this means. Oh and another thing, do i just connect the leads coming out of the multimeter to the speaker wires?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Ok heres what the front panel looks like... i have no clue what to press. Can someone help?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm