I was wondering if the Marshall JCM 2000 or known as the DSL100 will suit for Metal, stuff like Metallica black album sound, and Megadeth type sound something basically for Metal and will this amp last me allong time cause mainly being used for stage every around 2wice in a month mayb. And will it sound good with my Ibanez 2550E

Cheers
Well it will do megadeth pretty well, but not sure about the black album, maybe with an od it will but not on its own! Because that tone is just wow tho..
Its a great head and would recommend it.
i'd say it should be able to do it. try it first and make sure it's the sound you want though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by False_God
Well it will do megadeth pretty well, but not sure about the black album, maybe with an od it will but not on its own! Because that tone is just wow tho..
Its a great head and would recommend it.

with an OD? what are you smokin. it's got enough gain to do it on it's own. easily.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

jcm 900 is a more high gain marshall all tube to look into
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
jcm 2000 has WAY more gain that a 900.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

the new JVMs have alot of gain but are way to pricey, DSLs should be able to do metallica megadeath slayer pantera that train of metal easily new american metal youd want to look into a mesa or something gainier
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
^ if unearth can do it with DSL's, so can the rest of the new metal bands.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
with an OD? what are you smokin. it's got enough gain to do it on it's own. easily.

Smokin pot....you?
The black album requires upmost gain, and i have played the dsl100 and couldnt get that much gain... but i guess i didnt have emgs!
Quote by gpderek09
^ if unearth can do it with DSL's, so can the rest of the new metal bands.

unearth also have EMG loaded 7 strings
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
^Yup and tbh thats the line between heavy tones and just modern gain tones. (Obviously more factors)
Quote by False_God
Smokin pot....you?
The black album requires upmost gain, and i have played the dsl100 and couldnt get that much gain... but i guess i didnt have emgs!

the black album doesn't have that much gain.

mesa's have barely more usable gain than marshalls (dsl/tsl series anyway).

so, it seems general concensious here, jcm 200 + a hot signla via emg pre amp or high out put pick ups will get you enough gain for modern heavy metal. which is more than enough for black album-era metallica.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
the black album doesn't have that much gain.

mesa's have barely more usable gain than marshalls (dsl/tsl series anyway).

so, it seems general concensious here, jcm 200 + a hot signla via emg pre amp or high out put pick ups will get you enough gain for modern heavy metal. which is more than enough for black album-era metallica.

I think the bigger problem is the voicing of the amp.. and Metallica used Mesa/Boogie Mark IV's on the Black Album, and the Marks are very american, very dark.. whereas Marshalls are quite the opposite, very british, very bright... So maybe they just confused the lack of darkness, with a lack of gain?
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
perhaps. but, obviously, the thread starter can't tell the difference because he want's a metallica/megadeath tone.

seeing as megadeath used marshalls (bright), and mesa (dark), he can't really decipher between the two.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
perhaps. but, obviously, the thread starter can't tell the difference because he want's a metallica/megadeath tone.

seeing as megadeath used marshalls (bright), and mesa (dark), he can't really decipher between the two.

Yah.. I think he just wants a good Thrash tone.. which the DSL can deliver with spades.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
/thread.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I have a Marshall DSL50 JCM 2000.

In my opinion, it's better than the 100. Why? You don't have to crank it up as loud to get the tone you are looking for. With an extra OD pedal and a noise gate you can have a sound really close to Metallica. As for me I play Yngwie Malmsteen. I can get his old tone pretty well, but his new super high gain tone is what is troubling me.

So as long as you don't need super super gain, the DSL is great. Don't get me wrong, it pumps out a lotta gain, just not as much as the JVM.
throw a tube screamer in front of the jcm and ull be good

but there are better options, i would go with a mesa for metal. if u wanna spend more maybe a VHT or a hughes and ketner

also megadeth and metallica have really differnt tones marshall would be better for megadeth and mesa would b better for metallica
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
well old metallica was jcm 800s as was megadeath I.E. thrash metal tone, also malmsteens new tone is the same amps all he changed was the positioning of the mic, just to throw that out there, i also think i read unearth use VHTs, but Mesa, VHT, Framus, H&K, Engl(though i have yet to try) and randall seem to be your metal amps
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
DSL 100 will definately give u the sound u want. It would help to have a set of EMG's i prefer the 85-81 setup. Maybe if u cant crank it up u could get an attenuator (THD hot plate is good). Metallica is very attainable everything from kill em' all to black (takes a lil time to get the settings for "and justice for all" tho). u will not be disappointed in this amp if u are looking for a metallica megadeth sound
ESP Explorer Custom Shop
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Marshall 1960 A cab
Engl Powerball
Genz Benz G-flex
Washburn Dime 3 custom shop..wanna buy it??
if u realy like the dsl id say get it and a marshall guv'nor pedal (as a boost) and an eq pedal... u can get pretty much any tone with that
I'm not cool enough to have a sig...
The 2000 def has more gain than the 900 (chimingin on a previous response) but the tone of the 900 is way better than the DSL. I've had them both. One thing I did, though to both amps is replace the power tubes with Yellow Jackets and brought the full potential out of both 100 watt heads. Brought them down to around 20 watts of Class A operation. Complete different (and more desireable) tone.
I recently jammed with a guy who had one, and it sounded pretty good, and we we're playing mostly hard rock/metal. Definitely a great amp, just not sure if it's worth the cash or not.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Revalk
I recently jammed with a guy who had one, and it sounded pretty good, and we we're playing mostly hard rock/metal. Definitely a great amp, just not sure if it's worth the cash or not.

JCM 2000's are definatly worth the cash if you buy them used! haha. All kidding aside tho, Its a great amp, I personally prefer the 50watt head because you dont need it as loud to get the sound your after, and the fact that the cleans on the 50 watt head are better! Ive had people ask me how I get my cleans to sound so good with a Marshall.. and really, its just the amp. The 50 watt head is the way to go with a DSL. Id stay away from the Tsl too.. its not nearly as good.
Gear:
Washburn Guitars
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1960 Lead Slant Cab (4 x 12's)
Boss SD-1
Boss CE-1
Boss GT-8 Multi-Effects
Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff

Bandmix Profile:
http://bandmix.ca/profile6154.html