So I'm tuned to open g (DGDGBD), but I'm not sure what I can really do. Can anyone link me to some lessons for open g? Or just help me out here? How can I minor the barre chord, 7th it, etc...
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
Last edited by Shifty155 at Mar 18, 2007,
minoring it, 7th-ing it, etc. is done by changing the tuning. for example you can throw in an F in the tuning to make it a G7 tuning. try experimenting with a different order of notes from low to high. mostly open tunings are only really used with a slide, which are cheap, and you'll probably want raise the action on your guitar. try other tunings like open-E, open-C, open-D, etc. (drop-D is also considered an open tuning but is rarely played with a slide)
Well I'm talking about minoring and 7th'ing barre chords in open g.
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

oh and i think the coolest thing ever is to have an open tuning without the root in it, which sounds cool. lets take this G7 tuning with a lot of the F- F-B-D-F-B-F the B can also be changed to D if you like 5th's more than 3rd's
I think he's talking about what barre shapes you need to do minor chords, minor 7th chords etc in open G tuning. Rather than actually tuning to G minor chord as apposed to a G major chord.

Just though I'd clarify that.
Yeah. I thought I made it pretty obvious, but w/e
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Guitar Codex

Check this website above out as it will help you with chords and scales in various tunings, which Open G is one of them