i'm having trouble deciding which would be a better choice, being that i won't be spending too much on things guitar-wise for the next several months.

My price range is $400-$500

These are my two choices:

Standard MIM Strat......................................................................$434.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037

OR

Squier Upgrade:

Fender Schalling Locking Tuners....................................................................$59.99
(pretty useful, and something the MIM doesn't have)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Schaller-Locking-Tuners?sku=361333

Fender LSR Roller Nut..............................................................................$24.99
(also useful, and something the MIM doesn't have)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-LSR-Roller-Nut?sku=361268

Bridge Pickup:
Seymour Duncan SHR-1 Hot Rail Stacked Single Coil Pickup...........................................$74.99
(heard it before, and it sounds gooood..)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SHR1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup?sku=300300

Mid Pickup:
Seymour Duncan SCR-1 Cool Rails Pickup.............................................................$72.99
(never heard it before but it's gotten good reviews)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SCR1-Cool-Rails-Pickup?sku=300160

Neck Pickup:
Seymour Duncan SVR-1 Vintage Rails Guitar Pickup...................................................$72.99
(also never heard)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SVR1-Vintage-Rails-Pickup?sku=300481

maybes, if i'm convinced they'd make a noticeable difference

Fender American Standard Strat 5-Way Pickup Selector Switch........................................$11.99
(i've read that pickup switches on squiers feel like cheap toys in comparison
to american strat switches, which have a more solid, tough feel to them
when switching, but this could just be from the cheaper wood used on squiers?)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Strat-5Way-Pickup-Selector-Switch?sku=361211

Fender '62 Reissue Stratocaster Tremolo Bridge.....................................................$79.99
(not sure how much of a dif this would make in my sound, bur i've read that good
bridge would provide better tone and/or better sustain?)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-62-Reissue-Stratocaster-Tremolo-Bridge?sku=361340

Total Upgrade..............................................................................................$397.93

On one hand, if i go for the upgrades, i'll have the benefits of the locking tuners, new pickups, maybe even better sound. On the other hand, if i buy the Strat, i'll have, well, a real Fender Stratocaster. What do you guys think?

Note: I don't ever plan on selling my squier, my bro got it for me to get my mind off of things when my parents passed away 3 years ago, and i've loved it since. Plus it plays/feels/sounds great as opposed to what most people say about squiers
Last edited by barsx101 at Mar 18, 2007,
get the MIM Fender + new pickups.
u'll be set for a while
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
get the MIM Fender + new pickups.
u'll be set for a while

+ 1
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
if the squier means a lot to you, I would upgrade that. Squiers sound good with the right set up. I have a squier and love it and plan on upgrading it soon. Upgrade that squier!
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
thanks for the input.. im leaning a little bit towards the MIM -> new pickups as EC suggested, but that would mean i wouldn't be able to get new pickups until much later =/

im hoping i'll get enough suggestions to be swayed towards one or the other though, 'cos right now i'm a bit torn between the two
why not?
i thought u had $500...
so get the strat, u got like what $50 to mess with?
oh... i see. lol
u really want the sunburst i guess.
better get a job =]
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i have one.. $13.08/hr but theres $400 rent + groceries + insurance + cell phone + full time student(18 units) + 19 yrs old(social life) just to give an idea
If you install those parts yourself you could risk messing something up, unless you know what youre doing. I would get the standard.
Quote by barsx101
i have one.. $13.08/hr but theres $400 rent + groceries + insurance + cell phone + full time student(18 units) + 19 yrs old(social life) just to give an idea

dang...
i'll be that next school year T-T
graduating this june... i dun want to face all this...
good luck man! and keep on strummin'.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Kevin97220
If you install those parts yourself you could risk messing something up, unless you know what youre doing. I would get the standard.

yeah i was thinking of taking to a professional if i were to upgrade, thanks

Quote by ECistheBest
dang...
i'll be that next school year T-T
graduating this june... i dun want to face all this...
good luck man! and keep on strummin'.

thanks, just stay motivated and you'll be good
Depends on the squier. If the body wood is decent. Go for it, it'll be original.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

plz post here for guitar related query, aka, the GUITAR forum.

being that my thread was about my guitar gear it's accessories i thought it was appropriate to post in guitar gear and accessories. sorry, i hope my thread doesnt get moved for this =/
Quote by barsx101
being that my thread was about my guitar gear it's accessories i thought it was appropriate to post in guitar gear and accessories. sorry, i hope my thread doesnt get moved for this =/

Usually the guitar comparison stuff and guitar talk goes in the Guitar forum

Whereas

The accessories like amps, effects, pickups, cables, picks strings etc all go here.

Like, you could pose the question, which would be a better idea over in the guitar forum, and then when you figure out if you want to upgrade and stuff you come ask about the upgrades here.

I think. Its my preference (so people don't post a shitton about omfg which guitar???)

No biggie.

BTW- buy the fender. Even a basic MIM strat is better than a squire, and if you look hard enough for a good MIM fender you can find one that's just as good as an American strat. Just go play a bunch of them until you find one you like...
No it is GG&A, well normally I always say Fender, but I have a Squier myself which I find very playable. If you are attached to the Squier and plan on using it more, I say do the upgrade, however only if the guitar has decent wood materials. What model Squier do you have now?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
MIM you will always be happier just knowing you own a fender.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
No it is GG&A, well normally I always say Fender, but I have a Squier myself which I find very playable. If you are attached to the Squier and plan on using it more, I say do the upgrade, however only if the guitar has decent wood materials. What model Squier do you have now?

well its kinda weird.. its not an affinity, bullet, or starcaster, etc., all it says on the headstock is "Squier" and in small "by fender", nothing else....

yea i plan on using it more, i've played it for 3 years and haven't noticed any extreme buzzing or cheap hardware as opposed to what most of the people with bad experiences with squiers on UG say. maybe i have a dif version? i'm pretty sure it has an alder body though

Quote by soul_power
MIM you will always be happier just knowing you own a fender.

that thought crosses my mind a lot....
I'd go with a MIM and slowly upgrade that. I've had mine for a couple years, and I've replaced everything..but the bridge... Meh i guess now i'll have to upgrade that :S
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
yea, thats probably gonna happen for me.. i always feel like somethings missing when i'm playing my Squier..
MIM. It will play alot better, and upgrades will make it comparable to an American Strat.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by barsx101
Note: I don't ever plan on selling my squier, my bro got it for me to get my mind off of things when my parents passed away 3 years ago, and i've loved it since. Plus it plays/feels/sounds great as opposed to what most people say about squiers

If that's how you feel, I'd upgrade the Squier.

Down the road, you can get the Standard Strat, and swap some of those Squier upgrades onto that. Or you can save longer and eventually buy yourself an American Strat, while continuing to have one of the finest Squiers on the planet.

MIM Strats are kinda hit & miss. You can find ones that rival Americans, and you can find ones that rival Squiers. Don't order one online, if that's the way you're leaning. Definitely go into the shop, play a ton of them, and pick out the one you like best.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.