Hey people. I'm getting £100 by selling my old amp and I'm in the market for an overdrive/distortion (doesn't have to have both) pedal, and I've noticed alot of mention of the Visual Sound J&H.

My problem is, no shops round here have the J&H to try, and the only way I can buy is through ebay or Thomann, which means I can't try it out.

I wouldn't really consider buying without trying, but I've seen threads where people have claimed that it is better quality than even the fabled tubescreamers, and the fact that I could get it for probably £10 more than a TS9 makes it seem pretty sweet.

so what are your thoughts? should I just buy it and hope that it'll be as good as it's hyped up to be (I mean with all the hype, I can't see me getting it and thinking it sucks) or look at other pedals.

Thanks to anyone who helps
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
I apologise for bumping, but it's been about 18 hours since I posted, and I figure there will be different people on here now.

So....

BUMP!
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
It is a really good pedal. I guess you're just going to have to take a gamble.
Sent from my iPad.
^thanks mate. This thread is kinda here to push me to buy one.

Is there anyone who has one/who has played one, could give me some more info?]

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get it though, just as soon as my amp has gone.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
I own one (the old style silver one), bought it off eBay for £55 a few months ago now. I bought it without trying.

I'm very happy with it atm. I'm currently in the process of buying a small, clean valve amp to really make the most of the pedal but currently i'm playing it through my Cube and I'm happy with the sounds I'm getting out of it.

I play mostly modern rock/indie/alternative and some classic rock to give you a taste of what it's good for. Should sound great through your strat and Laney.

Also, where abouts in Brighton are you? I go to Sussex Uni but I'm home at the moment.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Hey mate, I'm 16, year 11 at Patcham high and I live in hollingbury. Am going to Varndean college in september though .

anyway yeah thanks for the input, I've seen a silver one used on Ebay which is going for £20 at the moment, but the last one I saw went for about £55.

OR I could get a brand new red one from Ebay from America for about £90, though I don't know if there's extra taxes involved or anything?

OR thomann sells the red ones for £107, and this might be a better option than the american ebay one if there are extra taxes involved.

So I'm not sure whether I should go for the silver one second hand from ebay, the new red one from ebay (from america), or the new red one from Thomann. any advice anyone?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
If you've got the cash and think you'll use the extra features on the red one I'd go for the safer option of thomann. When you buy from the US (which I've been tempted to do on occasions) you'll be hit with import taxes and VAT, etc. Because thomann is within the EU you'll avoid the charges.

The one on eBay might be worth watching as you might grab a bargain. S'up to you.

What sort of music do you play?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Well predominatly I play blues and classic rock stuff, so for the most part my amp is fine. I wanted an overdrive pedal for a solo boost, or to add abit more to my sound for stuff like SRV, so I looked into various pedals. I saw the Jekyll and Hyde and found that for one, I can get it for a similar price to a TS-9 (and cheaper than a TS-808), plus it has the distortion side which I'd find useful, as I find my amp a little lacking sometimes when I play stuff like Sabbath, Deep Purple etc.

I think I'm going to try and get that one from ebay second hand. I'm sure the pedal will still be perfectly fine without the bass boost on the Jekyll side (I can't remember what other extra features the red one has).

Thanks for your help mate
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Hey, I don't mean to jack the thread, but does anyone know what the best distortion to emulate the Hyde side of the pedal would be? I just bought a TS9, and I know that is what the Jekyll side is supposed to be, so I want to get a similar sound to the J&H, because I really like the one my friend has but don't want to buy the J&H since the overdrive side emulates the TS9.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
^The Jekyll side emulates an original TS-808 methinks.

why didn't you just buy the J&H, unless you mean you wanted a TS-9 not a TS-808 (or TS-808 copy, as the case may be)...?

and I have no idea what pedal would be similar to the Hyde side.

Oh yeah and the Jekyll side is reputedly as good quality, if not better than the TS-808's.

also I think the Jekyll side is more true to the original pedals than the TS-808's (which is a re-issue), but I'm not totally sure.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Last edited by This_Kidd at Mar 19, 2007,
I love the Jekyll side, I barely use the Hyde side by its self, but paired with the Hyde side it sounds really nice.

I love playing with my Strat (albeit a Squier!) through the Jekyll side on the tweed model on my Cube (emulating a Fender Bassman). Sounds very SRV'esque!
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Cool mate, the J&H on ebay has gone upto £53, hopefully it wont go up too much more (it has about 2 & a half days left to go).

Yeah I'm sure it'll sound class with my guitar and amp, I just hope I can get that one for a decent price.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
I don't want to hi jack it either, but if you have the vc 15, does anyone know if this pedal would be suitable to say take the lc or vc 30 and turn it into something great for metal, I hear the cleans from the amps are amazing and I am now in the market for a new amp
^Well the LC30 is more designed for higher gain stuff anyway, so if you were to buy an amp for cleans and then get the J&H for metal, you'd be better off getting the VC.

And I don't know what it'l be like for metal, I haven't tried one
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Yeah I think thats my best option. I see you are in brighton, isnt that where gak is don't they have that pedal, that have loads of other stuff down there
Fender Texas Special Strat
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Nope, they dont stock visual sound
Ah well!
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Although I'm not a metal player, I've tried several times and haven't been able to get a convincing modern metal sound out of the J+H. Perhaps I'm not EQing it right but all I know is, the Cube does much better at balls-out metal than my J+H does.

But for classic and other tones I much prefer the J+H to the sounds the Cube produces with no pedal plugged in.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Also, try PMing kurdtkobaign (sp?). I'm quite sure he has a Jekyll & Hyde.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by This_Kidd
^The Jekyll side emulates an original TS-808 methinks.

why didn't you just buy the J&H, unless you mean you wanted a TS-9 not a TS-808 (or TS-808 copy, as the case may be)...?

and I have no idea what pedal would be similar to the Hyde side.

Oh yeah and the Jekyll side is reputedly as good quality, if not better than the TS-808's.

also I think the Jekyll side is more true to the original pedals than the TS-808's (which is a re-issue), but I'm not totally sure.

I'm getting my TS9 robert keely moded, so it's going to be the same as a TS808, but can get cleaner or dirtier (something I always wanted in the TS9, but decided to buy one and mod it). Besides, IO bought the TS9 (this additude applies to all pedals) because I've always prefered to buy the real thing rather than something that emulates the real thing.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SamDking
Although I'm not a metal player, I've tried several times and haven't been able to get a convincing modern metal sound out of the J+H. Perhaps I'm not EQing it right but all I know is, the Cube does much better at balls-out metal than my J+H does.

But for classic and other tones I much prefer the J+H to the sounds the Cube produces with no pedal plugged in.

That's not a problem at all. I don't intend to play any modern metal anyway. I'd like to know how it fares for possibly an older metal tone like, early/mid metallica, slayer, megadeth, that kinda thing?

Really and truly, the Jekyll side is far more important than the Hyde side. I just figured it's a good idea to get the J&H if I can get it for the same price/cheaper than a TS-9 or the likes, and it's going to have the same sorta overdrive plus the Hyde side.

pray for me to win it on ebay people
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.