Page 1 of 2
Anyone here play in their highschool's jazz ensemble? I play guitar for the Wilson High School Jazz Ensemble in Tacoma, WA. Anyone else here care to share fun experiences?
Listen to Black Sabbath
I just played at the biggest high school jazz festival in the province on thursday/friday. I play guitar and its so much fun.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
jazz guitar is so boring. Just chord chuckin' and I get an 8 measure solo maybe once per set. I play at this big jazz festival near puyallup on Saturday.
Listen to Black Sabbath
Quote by LJTPerry
playing jazz guitar in my ensemble is so boring. Just chord chuckin' and I get an 8 measure solo maybe once per set. I play at this big jazz festival near puyallup on Saturday.

I fixed it for you.
I did when I was in junior and senior high school. Bass for a year, trombone for three, and guitar for one. It was pretty fun and helpful.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I was going to but the band director is friends with this kids parents, so he got the guitar part in Jazz Band. I can play soooo much better than him, not even being conceited or lying. He doesn't know any theory, 0 scales, nadda nothin.
It's okay. I'm the only person that knows shit past a major scale, and I'm the only freshman.
Listen to Black Sabbath
im in it, and a freshman as well. Havnt had a lot of fun experiences, everybody is still learning the music because we just started at the beginning of this semester, one practice a week, and some have been cancled. Its going pretty well, though. Im also the guitarist. Tenor sax in concert band though
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by LJTPerry
jazz guitar is so boring. Just chord chuckin' and I get an 8 measure solo maybe once per set. I play at this big jazz festival near puyallup on Saturday.

Dont let it be boring. Make it interesting. Have fun up there with your band. Dont be shy up there, talk to your combo section when you are playing, just dont let it be a drag.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I play bass in mine, have for the past 3 years. Always great fun. Hopefully next year we get to go to the IAJE festival in Canada as a field trip .
I play trumpet in mine, but not guitar. We still have a lot of fun up there, though. We just did "Childrend of Sanchez" in concert Tuesday and I had a flugelhorn solo... for like the whole song. I REALLY wish I could play guitar in it, though. Too bad our player is so good...
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
^Dude, we do children of sanchez too. Of course, we do like 20 songs, we're a performing jazz band, not completely competition.

I played guitar last year, but the other guitarist isn't much better than me but he's a complete dick to work with, then trombone this year, next year Lead trombone (). Last year we traveled from South Carolina to North Texas for the jazz festival there, year before that chicago, this year we were gonna go to boston, but we ran out of money since our entire 180 person Marching band went to New Orleans to march in the Rex Parade at mardis gras (and won 1st place).

We play a version of Mingus's Hatian Fight Song, Lush Life, Critical Mass for festival. And we play the Chicken, Think, Children of Sanchez, God Bless the Child, Manteca, Sweet Home Chicago, Angel Eyes, Harlem Nocturne, Night in Tunisia, Spain, Sing Sing Sing, Groovin' Hard, Can't stop Loving You, and a bunch of stuff we sightread on the spot. We play at events around town, about twice a week. We're the most active school ensemble in the state.

I'm a band geek
Quote by coffeeguy9
^Dude, we do children of sanchez too. Of course, we do like 20 songs, we're a performing jazz band, not completely competition.

I played guitar last year, but the other guitarist isn't much better than me but he's a complete dick to work with, then trombone this year, next year Lead trombone (). Last year we traveled from South Carolina to North Texas for the jazz festival there, year before that chicago, this year we were gonna go to boston, but we ran out of money since our entire 180 person Marching band went to New Orleans to march in the Rex Parade at mardis gras (and won 1st place).

We play a version of Mingus's Hatian Fight Song, Lush Life, Critical Mass for festival. And we play the Chicken, Think, Children of Sanchez, God Bless the Child, Manteca, Sweet Home Chicago, Angel Eyes, Harlem Nocturne, Night in Tunisia, Spain, Sing Sing Sing, Groovin' Hard, Can't stop Loving You, and a bunch of stuff we sightread on the spot. We play at events around town, about twice a week. We're the most active school ensemble in the state.

I'm a band geek

I envy your jazz band, dude. I'd love to be a (jazz) band geek if our jazz band did enough. We're almost all the way through the year and we've played learned three songs. We didn't even go anywhere in state, let alone NT - that'd be pretty kickass.

I play guitar in our jazz band for those who didn't know, and I think it's pretty fun. I wouldn't even mind having afterschool rehearsals - the most we rehearse is once a week, and we're lucky if we even do that.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
I play guitar in band, none of the songs have particulalrly exciting parts written, but its fun to come up with as many ways to play the progression that I can. The best part is for every festival we play, my friends and I do some combo pieces.
I play bass in jazz band. I love it. It's funny, I'm not in band, but I know more about music theory than anyone in it. They got extra credit if they told the teacher what "Mixolydian" meant, so they all had it written on their hands as a reminder. I asked my girl why, and she asked if I knew what it meant, and I told her that it was the 5th mode of the major scale, and she got the extra credit.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Yep, im the lead tenor saxist in my jazz band. We're a pretty pro band if i do say so myself, and we might be performing for Wynton Marsalis soon. I always hate practice and half the time i have no desire to be in the band, but whatever. It's fun sometimes.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
i played bass in a school jazz septet (thats seven instruments lol)
Too cool for a signature.
Quote by justin_fraser
Dont let it be boring. Make it interesting. Have fun up there with your band. Dont be shy up there, talk to your combo section when you are playing, just dont let it be a drag.

I second that.

If your jazz band isn't fun, than you are forgetting to be a part of it, or your band is just really bad.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
I played in Jazz band for four years. When I started, I was horrible to say the least. I wouldn't be as half as good as I am without jazz band. Plus it was fun and I got to get used to playing in front of people. Hearing your band director telling you to do whatever you want is always fun as well.
I didn't mean to say that it was boring, I just don't get too many exciting parts.

My jazz ensemble is a zero hour class, so we get credit for it! yay!

Our songs are Sam's Boogie, Filthy McNasty, Jump (not Van Halen, mind you.), Leap Frog, Killer Joe, Latin American Sunshine, Things Ain't what they used to be, All Too Soon, 'Give it all ya got, and others.
Listen to Black Sabbath
And it has helped my rythym playing ability by far and has aided my soloing a bit.
Listen to Black Sabbath
^ last year at jazzcamp I did Killer Joe as well. Man, that song is awesome!

I don't have much jazz band experience. I went to jazz camp last year( I couldn't even sightread and I got in the advanced group!). But I signed up to go to jazz band next year. Now I have about 5 months to learn sightreading( The way I'm going I think I'll learn it in time... )
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
Last edited by Mikeoman at Mar 19, 2007,
You don't have to worry to much about single line sight reading, as long as you can identify notes and rhythms at a very mediocre level that'll be fine. What you should probably focus on is sight reading chords over those 5 months. You should go over the normal ii-V-I progressions and how to play them all over the fretboard. Also look for extensions over the dominant chords and such. Honestly, I would focus most on the chords. This is just a random piece of advice though. The best thing to do with jazz band though is to just have fun and jam, in reality that's mostly what you're doing.

Cheers
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Well, OK, I guess your right. I mean, with the jazz camp I also saw so many chords I couldn't figure out! Luckily the guitar teacher showed me comping with just guide tones. Oh what an awesome piece of advice....

Yeah, that can help. But the type of comping you do depends on what type of band you play in. Since chances are you are playing in a big band, comping by guide tones usually works well. But if you were playing with say a piano quartet (Piano, Bass, Drums, Guitar) then you would want to play a lot of top 4 string voicings.

Ex. Autumn Leaves

[font="Courier New"]
E|11-------|11--------|10--------|10--------|8---------|8---------|
B|11-------|10--------|10--------|8---------|8---------|7---------|
G|12-------|10--------|10--------|8---------|8---------|7---------|
D|10-------|10--------|8---------|8---------|7---------|7---------|
A|x---------|x----------|x---------|x---------|x---------|x---------|
E|x---------|x----------|x---------|x---------|x---------|x---------|
      Cm7        F7       Bbmaj7     Ebmaj7     Am7b5      D7         

E|6----------|7-----------|
B|6----------|6-----------|
G|7----------|7-----------|
D|5----------|5-----------|
A|x----------|x-----------|
E|x----------|x-----------|
      Gm7           G7
[/FONT]

Hope that helps.

Oh, yeah, that was mostly in big band( thats where all the crazy chords were, so that was good.) Smaller combo stuff was easier, I just did easy chords. Hell, I even knew one of the songs beforehand and some licks to go along with it!

Well you're also gonna want to look for the best voicings that lead to eachother well.

EX. ii-V-I (In the situation of a quartet with no piano)

[font="Courier New"]
E|---x-----x------x---|---x-----3------x---|
B|---10---12----9---|---5-----5------3---|
G|---10---10----9---|---5-----4------4---|
D|---10---12----9---|---3-----3------2---|
A|---x-----10----x---|---5-----x------3---|
E|---10---x------8---|---x-----x------x---|
        ii      V       I         ii       V       I

The 1st ii-V-I is an acceptable way of playing the progression, but if you look at the second ii-V-I you'll see how well the voicings lead into eachother and how they give that downward pull feeling.[/FONT]

I guess i've just been in the mood to type up small lessons about chords today...

Shit... dude, how long have you been playing the guitar? Because, man, you know quite a bit...

Quote by justin_fraser
I just played at the biggest high school jazz festival in the province on thursday/friday. I play guitar and its so much fun.

Which one was that? Brandon?

And I was just shot down by my teacher for playing bass in the jazz band next year. Almost cried.
Quote by Mikeoman
Shit... dude, how long have you been playing the guitar? Because, man, you know quite a bit...

Haha, trust me I only know very little compared to some of the people on this forum but thanks for the compliment anyway (if you were talking to me). I've been playing for about 3 years, and jazz for about 10 months. I've learned a lot from just talking to people who visit this forum regularly (aka. JohnlJones and Elven).

Oh, I've just been going about 2 years, and got a bit into jazz recently( though not quite as much as some of you guys... see my awesome Tragically Hip avatar...)

That's cool, I absolutely love jazz. It's really great for learning new things about your instrument, and it insanely boosts your theory knowledge (though I'm nowhere close to where I want to be). Just keep on keepin' on and in the words of Nightwind "jazz on"

Oh, for sures. I like doing them chord solos myself. They're tricky( My teachers making me do one on Joy Spring right now... got the notes, just need to tighten it up), but fun.

That's funny, I've been working a lot with chord melodies. I was gonna record a chord melody of "All the Things You Are" this weekend and post it on my site. They just work soooo well for ballads like "Misty".

P.S. Joy Spring is an awesome, I remember listening to the Joe Pass version and getting very anxious to learn it.

Cheers

Yeah I play in El Paso, it's my first year. But its helping me learn theory, and thats cool. And its not just chord chucking, theres more to a song than just playing the song.
I've been doing jazz band at my high school for two years now. I'm the guitar/vibraphone/latin percussion guy. I have to say as a musician, joining jazz band has been one of the best decisions ive made. Man i cant wait for friday to come. Fullteron jazz festival is gonna pretty cool. anyone going to that?
I play guitar for the Eufaula High School Jazz band...we have a show in two days...looking forward to it.
Equip:
Schecter Avenger Hellraiser

Ibanez Roadstar

Ibanez TCY10 Talman

Roland Cube 60

Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
Page 1 of 2