I know Gibson Les Pauls are solid mahogany and some Epiphones are. So I see everyone recommending the mahogany Les Pauls and such.

However I began thinking... my Epi is alder/mahogany and I know it will sound different than Gibsons, but is that considered a bad thing? I mean it sounds different but not necessarily worse.

Just wanted to see what others opinions are on the alder/mahogany Epiphones and if they see it as a bad thing....
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
alder's used in strats and teles, so i don't see why it's so bad.
i guess it's a les paul thing to be made of solid mahogany... but the carved tops are maple... haah.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Because people buy knockoffs to get that original's sound for less. The alder in it though creates a sound that isn't les paul.

That's what I hear.
solid mahogany will give more sustain and a deeper sound
personally i love the brightness of alder way more than the deep of mahogany
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by zeppelinpage4
I know Gibson Les Pauls are solid mahogany and some Epiphones are. So I see everyone recommending the mahogany Les Pauls and such.

However I began thinking... my Epi is alder/mahogany and I know it will sound different than Gibsons, but is that considered a bad thing? I mean it sounds different but not necessarily worse.

Just wanted to see what others opinions are on the alder/mahogany Epiphones and if they see it as a bad thing....

Well...

1. Gibson Les Pauls are mahogany with a maple top, unless it's a black beauty, which is solid mahogany.

2. Your Epiphone does sound worse than a Gibson, I guarantee it (and I love my Epiphone), the electronics aren't as good.

3. If you were to make a Les Paul out of alder it would have a very unique sound, but the problem with these new Epiphones is that they are made out of thin strips of alder and mahogany glued together, which is very different than having a solid alder guitar. IMO alder and mahogany also don't compliment eachother the way mahogany and maple do.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
It's actually alder/mahogany and maple I think.

Good points though, it makes a bit more sense. Also of course being a copy it lacks in quality. However I don't mind the idea of alder in a Les Paul, mahogany is better IMO.
But some high quality alder would give for a unique guitar.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Quote by hamish5178
Epiphones is that they are made out of thin strips of alder and mahogany glued together,

Hmmm, where I come from, thin layers of different woods glued together is called plywood.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Hmmm, where I come from, thin layers of different woods glued together is called plywood.

Exactly
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

it's not plywood tho. ive bored into an epi. mahogany with alder core epi. it's most definately Not plywood.

the tonal significance here makes very little difference. imo, u'll see way more with a pup change.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
it's not plywood tho. ive bored into an epi. mahogany with alder core epi. it's most definately Not plywood.

the tonal significance here makes very little difference. imo, u'll see way more with a pup change.

Have you ever played a solid mahogany one though jenny?

I'm not trashing your opinion, but I know four people with newish epi LP's, and they all sound like total garbage compared to mine, and I have stock pickups.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Which Epiphone Les Paul do you have?

Cause to be honest I don't think they would use Gibson grade mahogany on your guitar, however I wouldn't know, it's just a thought. I wanted to get the plain top but the one in my store was a complete dud. No noise on the higher frets and everything, so I had a limited choice, but I love the sound of the guitar I have now. I don't see how it could seem that bad.

yeah, i know. im saying

1. it's not plywood.
2. it's not a gibson.
3. it's usually a pretty good guitar for $300-400.

if it was made of all mahogany, like some other brands in it's price range, you probably wouldnt notice that much tonal difference. u'd notice more with a pup upgrade.

nope, i havent tried the newsest epi's off the line, maybe there;s a problem there i dont know.
and yeah ive tried a ton of mahogany guitars or all different types. i know how my $350 epi studo stacks up to them.

that's me cutting into my epi at the start of a project. i know sometimes guys probably think i make things up, (not saying u) but i take a lot of pics, just in case.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 18, 2007,
Cool now I don't feel as bad. ^^

It's a good guitar, helps to see others with the same opinion.

yeah i kinda like mine here's a nice pic of it.

really classic looking.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Woah that finish is beautiful, what are you planning to do to the guitar?

And yeah Epi's aren't ply wood, you can look at the site for that.

I don't have anything against the mahogany/alder epi's guys, I'm just saying, it's not like comparing apples to oranges, it's like comparing an apple to a slightly less nice apple.

My main gripe with the new ones is how light they are, but I think I'm the only person in the universe that likes my guitars heavy

oh, and while we're posting pictures of our Epiphones. . .

Sorry, I can't help myself
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

*fap* *fap* ^^

I gotta post pics of mine now.

Edit: Bad lighting, anyways here she is. Sorry about the size...

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Mar 18, 2007,
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Just to stay on topic I mentioned how they had maple tops, which you can see in the pics.

I think epis would be maple veneer? I thought they were solid mahogany with a carved alder top instead of maple?

Shows how ambiguous guita information can be. They say in the descriptions "Body material: Mahogany/alder" but don't specify what is what..
Quote by TheDev01dOne
I think epis would be maple veneer? I thought they were solid mahogany with a carved alder top instead of maple?

Shows how ambiguous guita information can be. They say in the descriptions "Body material: Mahogany/alder" but don't specify what is what..

This is what I hate about buying a guitar now, everything changes so often, and nothing is clear in the guitar descriptions.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

YEah from what I've read and observed myself, it has an alder body with a mahogany surrounding just for looks. The top I beleive is maple, but we can't be sure if the info is right, but the sites say it's maple.

^^True they listed the body material as mahogany almost everywhere, by the time I bought the guitar. I realized what the body material specs were.

Have Epi LP's always been made with mahogany/alder? Or was there a point in time in which they were made with strictly mahogany?
Ibanez Jem7DBK
Washburn USA Custom Shop
Edwards E-LP-98 LTS
Epi LP + SH-2 + SH-4
Art & Lutherie Cedar
Cube30
Boss OD-3
Quote by ik715
Have Epi LP's always been made with mahogany/alder? Or was there a point in time in which they were made with strictly mahogany?

Pre 2000 (they said Gibson on the truss rod cover) they were solid mahogany like mine.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

i admit, epiphone is the absolute worst at posting the guitar's specs.

their site is a joke. u need a magnifying glass just to figure out model differences.

i just know, from being around. its a mahogany guitar with alder core.
if it says "top" or quilt top, then that's a third wood type listed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Hmm.....Mine's a 01 model and it has a Gibson truss rod cover.....what do you make of that?
Ibanez Jem7DBK
Washburn USA Custom Shop
Edwards E-LP-98 LTS
Epi LP + SH-2 + SH-4
Art & Lutherie Cedar
Cube30
Boss OD-3
Quote by hamish5178
Pre 2000 (they said Gibson on the truss rod cover) they were solid mahogany like mine.

The Plain-tops are all mahogany (on close inspection, mine is three pieces but has a really nice back veneer) with a solid plain maple top.

The finish is great, and they play great, and they're great all around.

I wouldn't hesistate to use mine for a local gig, though a change of pickups certainly would not hurt.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.