Page 1 of 2
Hey, I have the option of taking either jeet kune do or tae kwan do...both the same price etc.

What do you guys think? Pros/cons of both?

thanks
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Tae Kwon Do pretty much pwns everything.

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Im a second degree black belt in ta quan do.
Most of their moves are power hits with ariel teqnique so yea it pwns

Fender Strat
Alexi Laiho ESP

Quote by Doolittle
one time i masturbated into a pumpkins. needless to say
PWNED

Follower of the UG Faith, PM me to join!
Quote by Metallica708

Die.

Personal preferance. If you can go to one class and try it out that may be a good idea. I do Taekwondo but I'm under no illusions that it's the best martial art out there. Try them both out and see what you feel like.
I always wanted to do Jeet Kune Do.
Don't know much about any of them though, but from what I gather that one is more about movement and avoiding being hit than actually attacking.
Depends what you want from it really, besides, you've always got the option to do the other at a later date.
Quote by Smokey Amp
Quote by gunner_011
wat song is it lol satriani??

Don't disgrace Satriani like that.
Quote by Metallica708

you are a fuckin noob and know nothing of martial arts

to threadstarter:

whoever is teaching jeet kune do is full of shit, jeet kune do isnt a style you can learn. its not even a style, really.
Bruce called it the way of the intercepting fist, its using the least amount of movement to its fullest extent.
he designed it so that you would learn the basics and develop what works for you

tae kwon do is a good side-art, but definitely nothing to base your own style around, but in this case i say take tae do, but at the same time read the tao of jeet kune do, itll open your eyes and change your life
Quote by Metallica708

No, TKD is a sport. If you do any martial art for like thirty years you'll be able to kick someone's ass, but TKD is definitely not too good for just fighting someone. JKD is the shit, Bruce Lee designed it to get rid of all the bullshit. It's meant for actual fighting, not competitions and that crap. So if you're going for first place in a sparring competition, TKD would be your best bet. But if you want to actually be able to defend yourself, take JKD. Trust me, Bruce Lee knew his shit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jeet kune do "invented" by Bruce Lee because he wanted a martial arts that takes something from all the other martial arts? If so, I vote Jeet kune do. Tae kwon do seems a bit iffy.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Wing Chun ftw
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Kensai
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jeet kune do "invented" by Bruce Lee because he wanted a martial arts that takes something from all the other martial arts? If so, I vote Jeet kune do. Tae kwon do seems a bit iffy.

yeah, youre completely correct, he felt that the roots of martial arts were hidden by the blossoms(the pretty, cool looking, showy stuff). so he started this new thing to take what he felt was essential from different styles and developed his own
Quote by Ragafusion
yeah, youre completely correct, he felt that the roots of martial arts were hidden by the blossoms(the pretty, cool looking, showy stuff). so he started this new thing to take what he felt was essential from different styles and developed his own

Yeah I forgot to mention that (the taking "essential stuff" from other martial arts)

Well we all know Bruce Lee kicks various sized ass so I strongly suggest Jeet Kune Do
Bruce simplfied shit. He took the best from other martial arts and boiled them down; to one end:

The fastest way for your fist or leg to connect upside someones head...

Depending on the instructor, I would pick JKD..............
i say **** em both and choose something that will really help you in a hand to hand combat situation...go to your local Jiu-Jitsu school, most of em offer Muay Thai as well (which you should take), go and learn that...youll be able to kick most anyones ass.
I only have the option of JKD or TKD...

I think I'll do JKD... it sounds the most practical.

Thanks guys
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Quote by Triquad
Im a second degree black belt in ta quan do.
Most of their moves are power hits with ariel teqnique so yea it pwns

if you were you really you might actually be able to spell it
IMO, the people who take Tae Kwon Do are fooling themselves. It takes only a few years to say you've mastered it. I know countless people who are "black belts" and probably couldn't beat a 5 year old who takes Jeet Kune Do.

Go with Jeet Kune Do. Bruce Lee tells no lies. This is coming from someone with 7 years of martial art experience.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Jeet Kune Do.

I take Jidoquan (don't know how to spell it) and I much prefer practicality over the Taekwando.

I know someone that was fighting someone that was in taekwando. They did some fancy cartwheel kick, he stepped aside. They did it again, he stepped aside and completely made them taste his foot.

Pwnt.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by ch715dallat
if you were you really you might actually be able to spell it

ok yes i am but i suck balls at gramish

Fender Strat
Alexi Laiho ESP

Quote by Doolittle
one time i masturbated into a pumpkins. needless to say
PWNED

Follower of the UG Faith, PM me to join!
Funny cause bruce lee would roll in his grave if he found out jeet kune do was made into a style.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by xolax
Ive always liked Ji Jitsu, but dont know why...

Maybe because once you take any martial artist to the ground they don't know shit all what to do, including Jeet Kune do.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

JKD is better for practical purposes,, TKD is mainly designed for tournament fighting and is very simplistic, I recomend Shao Lin Kung Fu
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by xolax
Ive always liked Ji Jitsu, but dont know why...

Great martial arts, but doesn't have that much aggressive in it

Quote by preludetowar
Maybe because once you take any martial artist to the ground they don't know shit all what to do, including Jeet Kune do.

Unless he's got a friend who kicks you in the head while you hold his friend down
Trust me Tae Kwon Do is mostly for show. I got my 1st degree blackbelt in it, and I have to say it wasn't that hard. TKD compared to any fighting style is like comparing fast food to an actual restaurant. I got the blackbelt in 2 years, and probably still wouldn't be able to defend myself as well as someone taking something else.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
Quote by Kensai
Great martial arts, but doesn't have that much aggressive in it

Unless he's got a friend who kicks you in the head while you hold his friend down

True...

But one on one.
Quote by Meths

Quote by preludetowar

True...

But one on one.

Ah yes, I saw a guy on discovery (they sort of tried different martial arts to see which one did the most damage e.t.c.) and the jiu jutsu guy pwned everyone one on one.

But multiple opponents...
Jiu-Jitsu alone is great, but i pair it with Muay Thai, Wrestling, and Judo...and i think that i have a very well rounded fighting style (ability to fight with strikes [muay thai], to take someone to the ground/defend from being taken to the ground [wrestling/judo], and to fight on the ground/have control whilst on the ground [jiu-jitsu/wrestling])
I'm actually looking into getting into some martial arts and such myself, I want to really get into shape in the oncoming months. In fact I think I've decided to take my first semester out of highschool off for self-improvement purposes, physical and mental. It might sound odd stopping education in an effort to further my mind and body, but school has a tendancy to burn me out, I read more on breaks, practice more, and have a desire to do a lot more. So I'm going to take that path until I'm mentally ready for 4 more years of school, probably a semester or two.

With that being said, if I'm going to get into martial arts, I'd like it to include a lot of upper-body moves as well, like more formal boxing type stuff. I know with Tae Kwon Do and the like it's mostly using your legs and jumps and stuff, and I'm not too big on the sound of that. From this thread Jeet Kune Do is actually sounding pretty nice, I don't care about winning sparring matches, I want to be able to fight well when I need to and keep in shape with it.

You people seem to know a suprising amount about amrtial arts, any suggestions?
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
I'm actually looking into getting into some martial arts and such myself, I want to really get into shape in the oncoming months. In fact I think I've decided to take my first semester out of highschool off for self-improvement purposes, physical and mental. It might sound odd stopping education in an effort to further my mind and body, but school has a tendancy to burn me out, I read more on breaks, practice more, and have a desire to do a lot more. So I'm going to take that path until I'm mentally ready for 4 more years of school, probably a semester or two.

With that being said, if I'm going to get into martial arts, I'd like it to include a lot of upper-body moves as well, like more formal boxing type stuff. I know with Tae Kwon Do and the like it's mostly using your legs and jumps and stuff, and I'm not too big on the sound of that. From this thread Jeet Kune Do is actually sounding pretty nice, I don't care about winning sparring matches, I want to be able to fight well when I need to and keep in shape with it.

You people seem to know a suprising amount about amrtial arts, any suggestions?

I've never tried jeet kune do but it seems really cool. I would recommend that

I've tried aikido and karate though and from those experinces: Don't learn karate. Aikido was very nice though ^^
Quote by Kensai
I've never tried jeet kune do but it seems really cool. I would recommend that

I've tried aikido and karate though and from those experinces: Don't learn karate. Aikido was very nice though ^^

Yeah, I started karate way back in the day and absolutely hated it. Aikido looks interesting, but... "Ueshiba's goal was to create and disseminate a martial art through which a practitioner could achieve the ability to defend himself without injuring his attacker." Screw that hippy crap, they attack me I want them to feel pain
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by preludetowar
Funny cause bruce lee would roll in his grave if he found out jeet kune do was made into a style.

this is the third time i post on this thread, and both other times i made that point

nice to see someone else recognize this

take the tae, but like i said, buy the tao of jeet kune do and study that

or dont do either one, just buy the fuckin book

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
JKD is better for practical purposes,, TKD is mainly designed for tournament fighting and is very simplistic, I recomend Shao Lin Kung Fu

uh, yeah, either you dont know nothin bout nothin and are talking out your ass or...nope thats the only possibility, shao lin takes quite a number of years before it becomes anything useful, on top of that you have to head on over to china or canada(i know, wtf?) unless you want the watered down version. and to top it all off, its not exactly cheap
Last edited by Ragafusion at Mar 18, 2007,
I went to Tae Kwon Do for a couple years and got boring. I'd go back if I had someone to go with.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Yeah, I started karate way back in the day and absolutely hated it. Aikido looks interesting, but... "Ueshiba's goal was to create and disseminate a martial art through which a practitioner could achieve the ability to defend himself without injuring his attacker." Screw that hippy crap, they attack me I want them to feel pain

Akido may be good for little wrist locks here and there but its really useless when a guy is coming at you swinging, and maybe sometimes trying to take you down.
Quote by Meths

Quote by UndeadPaperclip

That's just to fool people

All you do in aikido is throw around people like they were paper, twist their wrists or arms or hands while kicking/punching them somewhere and trust me... it really hurts

example: http://youtube.com/watch?v=aicHsMC6rxM

^ That guy just throws them around, if he wanted to he could probably dropkick them while they were down
tae kwon do is basically just fancy aerial kicks and flexibility...
Failure is a far greater teacher than success.
Unified

Gear:
Schecter C-1
Peavey Classic 30
Roland Cube 30
DD-3
Ibanez WD-7
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Quote by preludetowar
Akido may be good for little wrist locks here and there but its really useless when a guy is coming at you swinging, and maybe sometimes trying to take you down.

its the best side art i could think of, maybe jujitsu, but definitely not good for a main one
Quote by Kensai
That's just to fool people

All you do in aikido is throw around people like they were paper, twist their wrists or arms or hands while kicking/punching them somewhere and trust me... it really hurts

example: http://youtube.com/watch?v=aicHsMC6rxM

^ That guy just throws them around, if he wanted to he could probably dropkick them while they were down

omfg that made me laugh so hard

*Thud* *Thud* *Thud* *Thud* *Swoosh* *Thud* *thud *ThudThudThud*
Kabir
Page 1 of 2