Landscape
8 10%
Surreal
19 24%
Spring/summer
3 4%
Voters: 80.
Page 1 of 2
Alright, time for another photocontest! We're up to #4 at this time and I hope it will be a good one. Below are example pics of every theme which I suggest you check before voting! Poll will be up in a few seconds

When the theme is settled we'll start taking pictures and submit them to this thread. Poll will be up for 3 days, then everyone have 2 weeks to take pictures. So the voting for pictures begins 2 weeks and 3 days from when this thread is created. Then we'll vote for the entries for 48 hours (might be extended)

Here are the examples pics for the themes I and others suggested, the photographers of each pic are posted below the pics:

- Sunsets / sunrises

- Gloomy

Macro:

Portrait:

Nightpictures:

- Pictures with a meaning/concept

- Landscape

- Surreal

- Spring/summer

Pictures are taken from:
1 st picture: www.geodelady.deviantart.com
2nd picture: www.gwarf.deviantart.com
3rd and 4th pictures: www.google.com
5th picture: From my dA gallery, in my sig (I thought it fit the description)
All pictures after that: www.gilad.deviantart.com (I strongly recommend to view his gallery)

Following text is copied from 4_symbol's last contest thread and slightly modified by me:

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in the last contests...your support made it a sucess!

Please read the following completely to avoid being disqualified:

So here's how its going to work: For two weeks UGers will be able to submit their entries to this thread after the poll closes. Only one submission is allowed per user. Anyone who submits more than 1 submission will be disqualified. If you wish you can change your submission--but only keep the new one. Post your submissions in this thread. When it has been exactly two weeks I will formally announce the closing of the contest. Any submissions after that post will not be valid.

However, at this time voting will be open. Anyone on UG can vote for one UG user who submitted an entry. If you participate in this contest, you cannot vote for yourself. Your vote will be thrown out if this happens. Voting will be closed after 48 hours, and the winner will be tallied and featured in this first post.

Please also note that plagiarism is not acceptable!

Please note that you must take a new picture for this contest. You cannot submit some picture you took months ago. This is to level the playing field for everyone.

There will be no real prizes (for now), just the privilege to put "winner of UG's photography contest #4" in your sig and a beer and a pie if I ever see you IRL
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Way to boost your ratings.

Get the poll up, sharpish.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by JamieB
Way to boost your ratings.

Get the poll up, sharpish.

Actually, I was going to put this poll up on this very sunday. I promised that in the photo threads weeks ago

Poll is up now.
Quote by Kensai
Actually, I was going to put this poll up on this very sunday. I promised that in the photo threads weeks ago

Poll is up now.

I voted surreal 'cos it looked funny.

thats a tough one.... i'm going to say landscape but it doesnt really matter... i may actaully participate in this one too if i get my new camera soon
Quote by JamieB
I voted surreal 'cos it looked funny.

It's an infrared picture, they always look cool.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
http://www.duchessathome.com/music/wehavenobananas.html

"Yes, we have no bananas
We have-a no bananas today.
We've string beans, and onions
Cabashes, and scallions,
And all sorts of fruit and say
We have an old fashioned tomato (toe-mott-o)
A Long Island potato (po-tott-0)
But yes, we have no bananas.
We have no bananas today."

you can still submit a banana... I'm sure it can fit into all the themes
Quote by Kensai
It's an infrared picture, they always look cool.

I
Was
Talking
About
There
Being
A
Chair
In
The
Sea

Quote by JamieB
I
Was
Talking
About
There
Being
A
Chair
In
The
Sea

You've obviously never been to Israel
Quote by Rambo-Conny
If the Surreal theme is going to be used, are we allowed to manipulate the photos afterwards?
And how are we going to define surreal?

1. To some extent (you're not allowed to use several pics in 1 pic for example). But you are allowed to change colours, e.t.c.
I'll write something more about it if it wins.

2. Well... my example pic defines it pretty well. Surreal are out-of-this-world kinda pics, it shouldn't be a problem to define.
my vote is for sunrises/sunsets cause they just look cool, but anything else would be fine
Hi, I like pie.

¯\(º_o)/¯
Quote by crazygluedmybut
I'm pulling for concept/meaning!
Word up. When is sign-up?

You don't really say you sign up, you just submit the pic to this thread (or possibly a new thread) once the poll is closed (in 2 days)
I voted gloomy, im generally a black and white shooter. And alot of times that lends itself to that subject.

chillEDIT: and no, that doesn't mean i shoot black and white people. >.<
A Seven Nation army couldn't hold me back.
Quote by Kensai
You don't really say you sign up, you just submit the pic to this thread (or possibly a new thread) once the poll is closed (in 2 days)

Ohaight. And can we submit pictures that we've taken? Or do they have to be from the 2 week period?
Edit: Nevermind, I saw that part.
Peace.
I shall be in...as long as i can find me a pic to post...i voted for gloomy...not coz im some emo but just because there emotional...good luck to all and thanks to kensai for creating the thread!!!

PS: is there any law against black and white pictures? because there is no black and white theme as long as the picture submitted shows the theme it doesnt matter whether or not its black and white???
Last edited by Hot 'Lanta at Mar 20, 2007,
I'm in this time again. It seems like the other one JUST ended though. Must just be me.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Aw kmon people surreal is hella hard to do, you need a nice gear, and an interesting place. Not every one has that.

Concept/Meaning is the best one in my opinion
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

just gonna point out that i don't really like the idea of having seasons as a theme, it's not really fair if you pick a summer theme at a time when it's winter in this hemisphere and everything is grey and gloomy as all hell, makes it a tad harder to portray the bright cheerfulness of summer lol. there are other ways of portraying seasons but i think everyone should be on as level a playing field as possible for these sorts of things, just an opinion
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by urik
Aw kmon people surreal is hella hard to do, you need a nice gear, and an interesting place. Not every one has that.

Concept/Meaning is the best one in my opinion

Well you don't need good equipment or an interesting place, even though it helps. I shoot my surreal pieces in not-so-interesting places and post-process them in photoshop. I guess post-processing might be an issue =/
If surreal wins I'll post some PS & GIMP tutorials and some example pics on how to make them look more surreal.

Hopefully eveyone who voted surreal have in mind that it's not so easy to get a surreal picture.

Quote by divid3d
just gonna point out that i don't really like the idea of having seasons as a theme, it's not really fair if you pick a summer theme at a time when it's winter in this hemisphere and everything is grey and gloomy as all hell, makes it a tad harder to portray the bright cheerfulness of summer lol. there are other ways of portraying seasons but i think everyone should be on as level a playing field as possible for these sorts of things, just an opinion

Honestly I didn't think of that =/
Which is weird because I weeded out alot of other options that weren't plausible for everyone. Well, that option isn't gonna win anyway, but if it had I'd give some tips about being creative portraying spring/summer even though it isn't spring/summer where you live. Or maybe include that you can use old pictures. Or maybe both.

Thx for the input.

Quote by Hot 'Lanta
I shall be in...as long as i can find me a pic to post...i voted for gloomy...not coz im some emo but just because there emotional...good luck to all and thanks to kensai for creating the thread!!!

PS: is there any law against black and white pictures? because there is no black and white theme as long as the picture submitted shows the theme it doesnt matter whether or not its black and white???

No problems

An no there's not a law against black & white pictures
You can submit a B&W pic for any of those themes, but B&W is not a theme itself this time.

Quote by Joe-Fish
I'm in this time again. It seems like the other one JUST ended though. Must just be me.

Pfft... that was weeks ago
Last edited by Kensai at Mar 20, 2007,
So today is March 21st. As in 3 days from when this thread was created. So when is the poll gonna be closed?
Peace.
Quote by crazygluedmybut
So today is March 21st. As in 3 days from when this thread was created. So when is the poll gonna be closed?

It says "This poll will close on 03-21-2007 at 10:47 PM" at the top

So about 2 hours from now

Quote by Inahrima
Surreal ftw!

/searches around for trippy looking bananas

Haha, sounds like a great idea

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Surreal appears to be winning

Come on people! vote for sunsets!

Unless you start bribing people, surreal's gonna win
but don't worry, I'll help everyone get started with it
Well so post modification isn't an issue? Most chances that I'm gonna make a pic of the beach in a not sunny day and fix it with photoshop =\
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Sunrises/Sunsets.

Surreal would just be too hard.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Yeah the main problem that I have is how much tweaking and effects we can put in the pictures. Surreal would probably need quite a lot.
Quote by urik
Well so post modification isn't an issue? Most chances that I'm gonna make a pic of the beach in a not sunny day and fix it with photoshop =\

Yeah post-processing will be much more free than the last time

I'll probably take an infrared-pic and fix if I'm in this time
Quote by Kensai
Yeah post-processing will be much more free than the last time

I'll probably take an infrared-pic and fix if I'm in this time

IR is great for surreal pics. Too bad the Canon S1 isn't sensible to IR.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
IR is great for surreal pics. Too bad the Canon S1 isn't sensible to IR.

Well I know an IR tutorial for photoshop, it doesn't give you the false colours but it's pretty cool: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/ps.htm#ir
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
The poll is closed......

NOOOOO not surreal!!!

Don't worry

I'm gonna put the subit thread up in a while, with some tutorials and example pictures
^^ That's good. I will do it, but it's practically tradition for me to complain about the theme. It'll probably be fine.
^ Yeah I would've missed it if you didn't say anything
Page 1 of 2