Like when your listening to metal and they get that loud, thunderous BOOM that only a bass could make. How do they do that? Do they just hit the string hard or what?

I know this may be a dumb question but please help anyway.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
like a bass drop?

low, low tunings and an active bass really help. i can roll up my bass control to do it then put it back for the rest.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Fast_Bear

6: PROFIT!

...and here I am trying to be good by playing well
:p

- DC

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
bass all the way up, mids a 1/4 way and highs half way. unless u want more punch

onomatopoeia
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by epy

onomatopoeia

My thoughts exactly

Honestly I'm not sure what you mean by "BOOM", but then, I don't listen to much metal. Dynamite-loaded amps come to mind. Or explosive bass drums. Worked for The Who.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
If you have low-mids (or, on a graphic EQ, 100-300Hz), crank those suckers. You get a really loud, resonate-y boom. Keep in mind your tone will mud up and lose all clarity.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^ That's not true. I boost my 125Hz and 250Hz by about 9dB and if anything I get more cut through and more growl, or more balls. I never get muddy, and I'm using a 1x15 plus horn. I use this EQ with my band (and very slight attenuation of highs) and I cut through great. I find that I actually turn up less compared to a smiley or flat EQ.

It can get muddy if I boost the 30Hz or if I boost the 64Hz too much.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
you have to be a worshiper of jah first then all things bass will come
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
If by boom you mean a kinda hip-hop bass sound then you can try and find a Submarine bass pedal (try Ebay), it's a tone pedal, though it doesn't boost any frecuencies, it cuts them but it shapes it and gives it that hiphop sound I'm describing. I could be more helpful if you described the tone your looking for.
I say it's EQ settings.

Set your amp to FULL BASS (obviously) and set the treble to half. If you have two mids then turn the lo-mids up to 3/4 and leave the hi-mids at half, otherwise set your mids in between.

AFTER THAT, get yourself an EQ (any one will do, I use an overdrive pedal 2-band EQ) and for a 2-band set the highs to mid and the lows to about 3/4. For 3 or more set it up in stages between the two, with more enphasis on the lower frequencies.

I agree with Fast_Bear, picking hard close to the bridge works. But you don't need that much definition, you do however need some, otherwise you sound like MUD!

Finally, pick up your bass and rock the house down!
Brutal.
I'm so metal I work at Dimmu Burger
Last edited by gothicneo at Mar 19, 2007,