When doing legato, are to supposed to pick the first note in the series of pull offs/ hammer ons on each string. For example if you were doing 5h7h8 on a string would you pick the 5? Thanks in advance.
Well yeah, picking a the first note when you change strings is a good idea. It keeps it flowing and smooth at the same volume.
Quote by allchavsrgay
your suposed to pick one of every 4 notes or less. so yeah u would pick the 5.

+1
Maybe, Maybe not, Satch doesnt seem to think that picking ANY notes is a good idea alot of the time. It depends on what sound your going for, and how good your legato tech. and muting tech. is.
Quote by allchavsrgay
your suposed to pick one of every 4 notes or less

Wha?...No.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by allchavsrgay
your suposed to pick one of every 4 notes or less. so yeah u would pick the 5.

Where on earth did you get this idea?!

The idea of legato is to play thing smooth and flowingly. A piano player does see the word legato and think "Oh, I must play only play 1 out of every 5 notes".

Perplexing. How does this information get around?!

But yes, threadstarter, just pick the first note in that series.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind

, i thought you put +1 then i though why are you a mod. Phew! Dont kill me

-1. I remember reading a Tremonti article and his demos were like 2 bars of 16ths all legato, only picked on the first note.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
^Hmm, it seems that someone is about to accidentally permaban your account........
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Legato is to play entirely with hammer ons and pulloff, you can even choose not to pick and tap the first note with you fretting hand. Is a easier if you pick the first note when you cross strings but all depends of what kind of sound are you looking for.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
hammer-ons from nowhere is what they would call it if you didn't use your pick when changing strings.

very good practice as well
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
Quote by El Cumanés
Legato is to play entirely with hammer ons and pulloff

Not to be anal, but legato is playing smoothly, with no gap in between the notes. It could be hammer-on, sweep picking, economy picking, or anythingt hat makes it sound smooth.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i was about to say, it depends on the song, some guitarist pick every fourth note, ever other note or even do a legato run just hammering and pulling off with a bit of oomph. depending on your choice of picking (or not picking) it can highlight certain notes. when a pick hits the string the note will be a little louder and more defined than the other notes that will be hammered on/ pulled off. consider this when playing an original piece and trying to decide how you want it to sound. alot of times i will do a legato run without picking just to see how it sounds there then i'll go back and decide when and where to pick if i want to highlight the chord shapes or what motif i have going on.