Ok, im planning to get Bareknuckle humbuckers later on but i want to clear my singls out first.

Ok, for a john Mayer/john Froosh tone, are the fender custom shop Texas' better, or the '69's, or the '50's?
Last edited by Rockstar12345 at Mar 18, 2007,
why would u get humbuckers for Mayer/Frusciante tone???
i mean... can't u see? they use single coils.
fender noiseless or texas is my choice.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
why would u get humbuckers for Mayer/Frusciante tone???
i mean... can't u see? they use single coils.
fender noiseless or texas is my choice.

if you read, i was gonna get buckers later on, but i wanted to change singles first.
for the price of the fender pickups (or a bit more) you could get stephens design custom wound pickups. Dave makes really nice pickups at a fair price. He has various 60s style pickups that should hit the tones you are looking for.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by kanamvar32
for the price of the fender pickups (or a bit more) you could get stephens design custom wound pickups. Dave makes really nice pickups at a fair price. He has various 60s style pickups that should hit the tones you are looking for.

thanks for the mention. where can i get this dave that you speak of?

also, i have a dual rectifier. and a MIM HSS strat.
I have a set of Bare Knuckle Apaches in a Warmoth hollow body swamp ash Strat w/ AAA flamed maple neck. The Apaches are great for what I wanted, a more vintage tone of a 50's early 60's tone. They are kind of low output but I love to really work the strings.

The Irish Tours was my second choice, but I already have another Warmoth Strat that has Lindy Fralin Blues Special in it. They very similar as far as output. If I had it to do over I would buy the Irish Tours over the Fralins although they are a great p'up.

You could go either way and not go wrong, the Apaches are a great vintage style which works for two guitarist you listed. Or the Tours for a hotter SRV type sound.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by Molsons Golden
I have a set of Bare Knuckle Apaches in a Warmoth hollow body swamp ash Strat w/ AAA flamed maple neck. The Apaches are great for what I wanted, a more vintage tone of a 50's early 60's tone. They are kind of low output but I love to really work the strings.

The Irish Tours was my second choice, but I already have another Warmoth Strat that has Lindy Fralin Blues Special in it. They very similar as far as output. If I had it to do over I would buy the Irish Tours over the Fralins although they are a great p'up.

You could go either way and not go wrong, the Apaches are a great vintage style which works for two guitarist you listed. Or the Tours for a hotter SRV type sound.

hmm...takin the bareknuckle route i see...

idk, i think fender pups are better for singles, and BK for buckers?
I also have two Texas Specials in another Strat w/ hot rails in the bridge. They are nice but don't compare to BK's hand wound goodness.

And stop f*cking bumping your threads, I almost didn't post because of that. n00bs
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by Molsons Golden
I also have two Texas Specials in another Strat w/ hot rails in the bridge. They are nice but don't compare to BK's hand wound goodness.

And stop f*cking bumping your threads, I almost didn't post because of that. n00bs

>;P

i hear the texas specials are too harsh, so im going for the 69's.

however, are Bk's singles good for the tone I'm looking for/
bump your thread again and i will close it.

bk has some nice sounding single coils, even a set called mothers milk which are supposed to have a very john frusciante sound. if you want to stick with fenders, i would bet the '69s would be best considering fru uses 60's strats. i would look outside fender though, they dont seem to have the best pickups.
Quote by Rockstar12345
thanks for the mention. where can i get this dave that you speak of?

also, i have a dual rectifier. and a MIM HSS strat.

www.sdpickups.com
Dave Stephens is the owner and pickup maker
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by forsaknazrael
John Mayer uses a Tubescreamer, probably 808, a la Stevie Ray Vaughan. Getting that'll get ya near his tone.

well, if the 808 is better than the stock dual rectifier overdrive, should i invest in it?

also, where did u get that information from? that mayer has a 808?
Man they both of them use Marshall amps. Probably somthing similar to a JCM 800, but I don't know what model for sure. Just Marshalls.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by jb_designs
Man they both of them use Marshall amps. Probably somthing similar to a JCM 800, but I don't know what model for sure. Just Marshalls.

nope, froosh has the marshall major/some JCM/plexi, mayer has his own 8000+ dollar signature amp.
Quote by Rockstar12345
well, if the 808 is better than the stock dual rectifier overdrive, should i invest in it?

also, where did u get that information from? that mayer has a 808?

I saw it in a live video of the John Mayer Trio. Plus Mayer is an obvious follower of SRV, who popularized the effect. Buying a TS9, and modding it to a TS808, or just building an 808, would be cheaper, though. I say build it, and add assymmetrical clipping for even more organic distortion.
Quote by Rockstar12345
nope, froosh has the marshall major/some JCM/plexi, mayer has his own 8000+ dollar signature amp.

Last time I checked:
John Frusciante used Marshall JCM900 Silver Jubilee's...
and
John Mayer used Fenders of some sort.. at least its blattantly obvious that its a fender on the inside jacket of his "Try!" album...

Stevie Ray Vaughan, just for the sake of it, used various amps, but mostly is known for his use of various Fenders, notably the Bassman...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
Last time I checked:
John Frusciante used Marshall JCM900 Silver Jubilee's...
and
John Mayer used Fenders of some sort.. at least its blattantly obvious that its a fender on the inside jacket of his "Try!" album...

Stevie Ray Vaughan, just for the sake of it, used various amps, but mostly is known for his use of various Fenders, notably the Bassman...

sorry, replace the plexi/jcm part with the jubes.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I saw it in a live video of the John Mayer Trio. Plus Mayer is an obvious follower of SRV, who popularized the effect. Buying a TS9, and modding it to a TS808, or just building an 808, would be cheaper, though. I say build it, and add assymmetrical clipping for even more organic distortion.

thanks for the input, but I'm a student in hi school, and i dont have the finger coordination to build my own stuff..ill buy

yea, but how will the OD sound compared to my mesa's pushed channel?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You can edit your posts, you know. And many of the modders here are still in high school, you know.

A Mesa Dual Rec? A bit high gain for Frusciante and John Mayer, IMO...

Oh, ok. short tempers for the mods. sry, i didnt know i could change wat i wrote, just add.

yea, my dual rect for gain based, but decent cleans for w/e else. I can coax some mid-low gain stuff via channel 2 on vintage.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, no, I meant, that the people who mod pedals or guitars here are still in high school.
I dunno, I haven't used the Dual Rec much, as it's not really my thing to play metal.

oo ok, wow communication completely failed there....

yea, but I really don't have time for that stuff, I'm just going for the quicl way out...buying things.

But seriously, lets go back to the original topic.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I say grabbin a Blue Jr. and a TS will get ya Mayer, and will get ya some good cleans for Froosh. Better for those purposes than a Mesa Dual Rec, for sure. That'll also work better than any new set of pickup. Trust me.

And doing that stuff isn't that time consuming. Just so ya know. Look into it.

ok, u mean making and modding guitars was it?
Yah.. Modding pedals and stuff seems daunting at first, but I just bought a book on electronics, and it doesn't seem as daunting once you see what the symbols mean, and you understand the basic concept... Of course I still have yet to actually mod/build anything, but the premise seems simple enough (and I'm 14.)
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
Yah.. Modding pedals and stuff seems daunting at first, but I just bought a book on electronics, and it doesn't seem as daunting once you see what the symbols mean, and you understand the basic concept... Of course I still have yet to actually mod/build anything, but the premise seems simple enough (and I'm 14.)

Im very uncomfortable with a solder.
http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_id=oSmwnR4VYkw&eurl=&iurl=http%3A//sjl-static11.sjl.youtube.com/vi/oSmwnR4VYkw/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskIVXJpPcnENxS3qwNoQUVay
thasta the kramer stricker FM sumthgin sumthing with teh quad rail pups(thast not my vid btw) those cleans are sic IMO, but im not a clean purist by any means. but hoooly the dirty tone is soo nice. extremyl warm and liquidy super easy pinches ewtc..
Quote by SwitchfootOnPRS
hmmmm...
I suppose that pickup manufactorer's sound bytes are rigged.
HOWEVER Listen to Swineshead Condor and AMP on Single Coil
http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/audio/Condor.mp3
http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/audio/AMPsinglecoil.mp3

Switchfoot:
They play Gibson LP's and SG's
Marshall, AC30, 65 Amps
They have good lyrics too...

those sound godly!!! i am especially fond of the first clip but im sure its also recorded with amazing guitars/amps/equipment