I really don't understand the difference besides one takes batteries and can shape tone better and the other is just... passive. Is it really worth it to have active pickups?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by BodaciousZac
What I don't get is the difference between active electronics and active pickups.

Active electronics: Basically just means an active(cut/boost) equalization system onboard.

Active pickups: Pickups that have relatively few windings (in order to have minimal resistance and therefore clearer tone), that need a preamp to boost the signal to a level that won't get lost between the bass and the amp.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
you can have active pickups and have "regular" electronics at the same time. ( my fender has right now but im planning on putting a BQC controll soon)

canadianpunk071 nailed the ehad of what is different between the two componently.

active pickups have a clearer sound with more focused bass sound.that is very fulland not as woofy. the highs sound more clear and the tone overall is less "nasaly"

passive pickups have a more vintage tone that is a bit woofy and nasaly.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
you can have active pickups and have "regular" electronics at the same time. ( my fender has right now but im planning on putting a BQC controll soon)

canadianpunk071 nailed the ehad of what is different between the two componently.

active pickups have a clearer sound with more focused bass sound.that is very fulland not as woofy. the highs sound more clear and the tone overall is less "nasaly"

passive pickups have a more vintage tone that is a bit woofy and nasaly.

um... nasaly? WTF.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
um... nasaly? WTF.

Harsher mids.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Active pickups have a lower impedence, but a higher bandwidth (i.e. quieter, but more accurate in frequency portrail). Active electronics boost the volume while making EQ adjustments in order to get a louder sound. Passive electronics are high impedence with more of a limited bandwidth, but the volume can stand on it's own without any power.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..