I have almost no knowledge whatsoever about how to wire things so i need help with the following...

i want to do 3 upgrades to my rip off strat
it has 2 tones, 1 volume and a 5 way switch....

1. i want to change the bridge single coil, for a single coil sized humbucker i have one 30.00 gfs pickup i bought of ebay

2. i want to add an on/off switch for the bridge pickup that can work with any position i am at, on the pickup selector (so i can do combinations with the bridge pickup)
and i also want to be able to control the tone of bridge pickup when it is switched on

i have a SPDT type toggle switch for this

3. i want to add a killswitch i have this momentary push button switch that automatically springs back after you press it down.
it is an SPST type button

i have read the thread on killswitches but i didnt see much info on SPST type switches

so how would i do this?
For the killswitch, it's totally covered in the killswitch thread. Just ignore one side of the DPDT switch.
I'm feeling lazy right now, but I might post a diagram later tonight or something for the other stuff.

EDIT:
Here ya go:
Took the old one out..
That should work. I didn't draw the Killswitch. Too lazy.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Mar 19, 2007,
SPST switches are the ones with two lugs. Killswitches only need two lugs. Hot to the middle lug, ground to the outside lug.

EDIT: 4sak, you forgot the switch for the bridge humbucker.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Mar 19, 2007,
Quote by Will_Minus
SPST switches are the ones with two lugs. Killswitches only need two lugs. Hot to the middle lug, ground to the outside lug.

hmm..
i dont really understand some of the terms you are using...

so ive got 2 lugs and what am i supposed to solder each lug to?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Oh yeah, I did. Huh. I'll get to that in a bit.

tada!

EDIT: You could also use a SPDT switch instead of the DPDT. Totally would still work.

so if i follow that diagram i will be able to turn on the bridge pickup up
whenever i want, so i can make different pickup combinations righT?
and ill also be able to control its tone when its on?

i dont really understand that whole north south start and finish stuff
are they all 5 seperate wires?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah. I assumed that your bridge humbucker was a 4 wire connector. Is it not?

Most humbuckers that are factory installed come w/ 2 free conductors...they attach the other two together in the factory.
the humbucker i have has a white and red wire twirled together
a separate green wire and it also has this bare metal wire which i assume is for grounding..?
i think i also want to put in a coil tap
using a push and pull type knob
how would i go about doing this?
i guess its pointless than..

thanks for the help forsaknazrael

you sure are smart
Thread starter, I ment to reply to your asking for clarification of my post earlier today, but I edited my post instead of quoting it. Here's what I ment to post.

Quote by Will_Minus

A SPST switch has two middle bits sticking out. These are called lugs. For a killswitch the bit in the middle will be connected to the middle prong of the volume pot, the bit closest to the edge needs to be connected to the ground of the volume pot.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
what do you mena by middle prong??

the switch i have just has 2 metal dealies sticking out of it
is there supposed to be a third one?
and also do you guys know if painting and clearcoating pick up covers will have an effect on sound?
Quote by STriNG-RaY
i guess its pointless than..

thanks for the help forsaknazrael

you sure are smart

I just have nothing better to do.

Quote by STriNG-RaY
and also do you guys know if painting and clearcoating pick up covers will have an effect on sound?

No. Remove them from the pickups before you paint them, though....But why not just buy pickup covers in different colors? They do make them, you know.

Quote by STriNG-RaY
what do you mena by middle prong??

the switch i have just has 2 metal dealies sticking out of it
is there supposed to be a third one?

You misread his post.

Quote by Will_Minus
A SPST switch has two middle bits sticking out. These are called lugs. For a killswitch the bit in the middle will be connected to the middle prong of the volume pot, the bit closest to the edge needs to be connected to the ground of the volume pot.

So take one of the lugs on the SPST switch, and solder a wire to it connected to the middle lug of the volume pot. The other SPST lug will go to the ground of the volume pot.