i got a pain between my thumb and palm on my right hand
i have no idea why.
im assuming is because of my picking technique i been trying to change my picking technique by letting my right hand float over guitar instead of anchoring

and my questions basically are what could be making my hand hurt?
is it a sign of a bad habit?
or maybe im developing some kind of weird syndrome on hand?

here are some pictures to be more specific where the muscle hurts

any help is appreciated

p.s i tried searching for related post but most were about barre chords cramp
That sometimes happens to me when I'm shreddin' it up in Guitar Hero II. In the left hand though.

edit: sorry if that helped in no way possible.
Quote by benenov
love is when a girl can fit both my balls in her mouth.
try doing streches

exactly how? juat opening palm really wide?

That sometimes happens to me when I'm shreddin' it up in Guitar Hero II. In the left hand though.

edit: sorry if that helped in no way possible.

k dont worrry man at least is making me think is not some chornic or syndrome type of ailment
Can you post a picture (clearer if possible) of how you hold the pick?
And a picture of how you hold a pick in relation to the guitar?
Might help me figure it out.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
k let me post pictures i hope they appear

k im posting a few pics so you can check how i hold pick?

HOLDING PICK:

i used to anchor my hand on bridge of my guitar but i tried changing it because my eletric guitar has a floyd rose bridge so i cant anchor without pressing down on bridge and it limited my palm muting technique as well

ANCHORING HAND:

and all i did pretty much is raise my hand from bridge and i hold it on air

Try using less index finger.....I would think anything past the second little joint would be uncomfortable....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You're most likely straining the muscles in your forearm and pinching muscles of the palm by holding it with so much of your index finger.
Look at your hand, and very slowly put it in position how you usually pick, then gradually use more pressure, notice where your muscles tense up. Your index has to work harder because it's using the middle part of the finger opposed to the first part, which is easier to apply 'just enough' pressure with. Same thing with your thumb, it's more in the middle than the first part of your thumb.

Try doing what you're doing, but slide your index finger up a bit, so there is an open circle in your hand, like you're giving the 'O.K.' sign with your hand. Try playing like that for a few practice sessions.

Also, how is your shoulder and back when you practice? Do you ever notice any tension?
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
You're most likely straining the muscles in your forearm and pinching muscles of the palm by holding it with so much of your index finger.
Look at your hand, and very slowly put it in position how you usually pick, then gradually use more pressure, notice where your muscles tense up. Your index has to work harder because it's using the middle part of the finger opposed to the first part, which is easier to apply 'just enough' pressure with. Same thing with your thumb, it's more in the middle than the first part of your thumb.

Try doing what you're doing, but slide your index finger up a bit, so there is an open circle in your hand, like you're giving the 'O.K.' sign with your hand. Try playing like that for a few practice sessions.

Also, how is your shoulder and back when you practice? Do you ever notice any tension?
this is really frustrating i hold it really close to my index finger because in my opinion is easier to achieve pinch harmonics and having the pick touch more skin gives me more stability in my picking feels more steady

but i don't know could you post a picture of your picking hand holding a pick so i can get a better idea at what at im aiming for?

i been trying to change my picking for awhile because i want to reach a comfortable position and i want my technique to be able to reach the greatest speed possible because i want to be able to play one day like michael angelo or yngwie or maybe paul gilbert

but it seems everytime i try to change my picking technique im thinking im training something improperly so what i want to avoid is practice something that's not right so i dont waste time then having to change my technique again
That happens to me after i get done playing drums i think it has something to do with the muscle in there because if i play drums for a while my muscle is all scrunched up in there and it doesnt really like that its gotta be something from the way your holding your pick cause honnestly i have never seen anybody hold it the way you do