How good are the 1951 reissue P basses?I havent really heard much about them and i was looking at them and i havent got a chance to play 1 yet.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by sorrykid77
when you say p do you mean peavey?

...Precision. You must be new to bass.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
I proudly own one. You can see a pic on page 53 or 54 I believe of the Show Off Your Bass Thread.

I think it's a fantastic bass. It's two saddle bridge is a bit difficult to intonate and it's single coil pickup hums like any single coil would, but the tone is amazing. I was surprised how clear and punchy the pickup sounded. The slab body might be difficult to adjust to, but it's a faithful replica (down to the tele headstock, reverse direction tuners, and raised A and D pole pieces, making those strings a bit louder).

They are made in Japan, which makes them good instruments. They have the 1.625" nut width (standard P width) which is comfortable, as opposed to the 1.75" nut width of some of the mid-50's P-bass replicas. The one I have is as heavy as hell (made 1990), but I played 2 recent ones, and they were literally half the weight. They have 1-piece maple necks with the lovely glossy finish, and small vintage frets which make the bass a breeze to play. For straight forward rock and roll, you simply cannot beat this bass. And besides, it looks so incredibly badass (without being OMFG METAL!!!! pretentious).

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by watchingmefall
I'm saying this. I practically hate Fenders... I actually like the bass you mention.

really? why?
Some Guy?
Quote by canadianpunk071
...Precision. You must be new to bass.

Quote by sorrykid77
March 2007

EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Still, it's scary that a kid would think Peavy instead of Precision. I can't beleive a kid would buy a bass and have no interest or drive to check out any other basses or the history of bass. Kinda reminds me of the time I was at a music store buying a set of bass tuning keys and a salesman said "oh my God! Look how huge those tuning keys are!" like he's never seen a bass in his life.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Still, it's scary that a kid would think Peavy instead of Precision. I can't beleive a kid would buy a bass and have no interest or drive to check out any other basses or the history of bass. Kinda reminds me of the time I was at a music store buying a set of bass tuning keys and a salesman said "oh my God! Look how huge those tuning keys are!" like he's never seen a bass in his life.

I would've turned to him and said, "If you think those are big, you should see mine *wink wink* "

(And if you think -that- joke was bad, you obviously have never heard my physics jokes)
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by thefitz

Eh dont get off topic here lol
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by canadianpunk071

I would've turned to him and said, "If you think those are big, you should see mine *wink wink* "

(And if you think -that- joke was bad, you obviously have never heard my physics jokes)

Wow.. Anyway fitz, you said the '51 had a glossy neck? Wouldn't that feel a little more difficult to play than an unfinished one? Almost like a painted neck? EDIT: and i'm also guessing it's polyurethane or something of the sort?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
^ Well, actually, I love and prefer glossy necks. I find unfinished ones dry and impossible to play. But I fancy myself to have good technique and only my thumb rests on the back of the neck, so it really makes no difference. It is indeed poly, but again, I think it's perfect.

Quote by The1bassist06
Eh dont get off topic here lol

Well, I kinda answered the question in the first response, didn't I?
Quote by Cody_Grey102