Well I'll have myself a good 1500$ right before summer vacations to buy myself a new guitar. I've got myself an Ibanez Iceman for my metal needs so i'm really not looking for a heavy metal only guitar. I'm look for something with a thin, fast neck. It has to be a neck thru guitar. Pref a double locking tremolo and a set of versatile pickups. I'm kinda wanting HSH, but is the Standard pickup in the middle really of any use? I don't know cause i've only owned HH guitars so far.

What do you guys recommend?

EDIT:
Alright, after looking at all your replies and doing a bit of thinking myself I think i've decided to postpone buying a new guitar, and drop some nice pu's in my guitar and buy myself a new amp.

This essentially leaves me with three questions...
1. Can I really get an amp that will
a) Last me for the next few years
b) Give me sound loud enough for small gigs, and can be miked easily for larger venues
c) Sustain travel b/w India and the US, twice a year
d) Give me the tone I desire (I play stuff like Disturbed, Rage Against the Machine, Papa Roach, quite a bit of Punk (Blink 182, GC, FOB etc), and some classic rock)
e) I think I should be looking at combo amps and not heads and cabs, since I am looking for something portable. Does any one of you think otherwise?

2. Can I safely check in an amp in a flight? Is this even allowed? I guess I should be able to check it in at least. Has anyone of you ever done this? I fly continental just in case anyone wants to know...

3. Which pickups should I get. I want something heavy and crunchy for the bridge and something a bit more versatile for the neck.

Cheers!
Last edited by billysidhu at Mar 25, 2007,
Hey Archeo, i played an ibanez at a guitar store something like that, cept in HSH, it played like a warm knife through butter.

Another feature i'm looking for is individual volume knobs for the pickups. It's not 100% necessary, but it would be a great add as I play a lot of ratm and I hate borrowing my friends les paul just for songs that need a kill switch.
so you suggest that with my requirements it's best to get a custom one?
do you recommend any other companies i should look into that make custom guitars?

here's a recap of what i want
1. floyd rose trem
2. hsh config
3. pref. individual volume knobs (but i don't think you'd get that with hsh, would you?)
4. neck thru
is there no other readily available option?
I'm really just looking for a guitar that can do everything else that my iceman ic200 can't.
the iceman should be fine at cleans, consider just switching out the neck pick up you probably don't use when you play metal for something different, or consider spending that 1500 dollars on a nice amplifier. The Amplifier is going to effect your sound a lot more then a new guitar will, and a new pick up should allow you to save probably about 1400 dollars and still get that tone you want. Consider a seymor Duncan. A lot of "metal guitars" actually sound wonderful clean.

You could always consider getting a Fender SSS FR Mexi-Strat, and just dropping out two of the single couls for humbuckers, but I think you'd be better off keeping that neck single coil.
Thanks for the replies so far.

Well I have a few questions now...
1. Is it really worth upgrading the pickups on my ic200? It isn't a very high quality guitar, but it serves its purpose well for what I want it to do.
2. I would buy and amp, but I mainly play concerts during summer and winter vacations when I'm back home with my band, so buying a 1500$ amp for my dorm room really doesn't serve me much purpose, and taking it with me overseas is just a pain.
3. How much does a the guitar have a neck through body really affect the sound in real life... i mean with all that distortion and overdrive already giving it so much sustain, is it really a noticeable factor? Because I've been led to believe that a quality guitar has to be a through neck.
4. I'm really trying to find a guitar with two individual volume pots, so I use it as a kill switch, because my band does a lot of rage songs. It isn't really a necessity, just a matter of convenience.
1. Is it really worth upgrading the pickups on my ic200? It isn't a very high quality guitar, but it serves its purpose well for what I want it to do.

Ic200 is basswood right? It's worth upgrading, depending on what you want it to sound like...basswood guitars tend go well with distinctive pickups due to the wood itself not being as characterful as alder or mahogany

3. How much does a the guitar have a neck through body really affect the sound in real life... i mean with all that distortion and overdrive already giving it so much sustain, is it really a noticeable factor? Because I've been led to believe that a quality guitar has to be a through neck.

Not much difference, if any....the biggest difference comes from tremolo (in particular floating types) vs fixed bridge. A neck-thru guitar with a trem will have marginally more sustain than a bolt on with a trem, but a fixed bridge with a bolt-on neck will have far more sustain than a neck-through with a trem.

4. I'm really trying to find a guitar with two individual volume pots, so I use it as a kill switch, because my band does a lot of rage songs. It isn't really a necessity, just a matter of convenience.

It's probably a lot easier to find the guitar that fits all the other criteria and simply add a killswitch....it's a pretty straightforward mod.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by billysidhu
T
2. I would buy and amp, but I mainly play concerts during summer and winter vacations when I'm back home with my band, so buying a 1500$ amp for my dorm room really doesn't serve me much purpose, and taking it with me overseas is just a pain.

then set aside some money so when you come back you can buy a new amp.
Alright, after looking at all your replies and doing a bit of thinking myself I think i've decided to postpone buying a new guitar, and drop some nice pu's in my guitar and buy myself a new amp.

This essentially leaves me with three questions...
1. Can I really get an amp that will
a) Last me for the next few years
b) Give me sound loud enough for small gigs, and can be miked easily for larger venues
c) Sustain travel b/w India and the US, twice a year
d) Give me the tone I desire (I play stuff like Disturbed, Rage Against the Machine, Papa Roach, quite a bit of Punk (Blink 182, GC, FOB etc), and some classic rock)
e) I think I should be looking at combo amps and not heads and cabs, since I am looking for something portable. Does any one of you think otherwise?

2. Can I safely check in an amp in a flight? Is this even allowed? I guess I should be able to check it in at least. Has anyone of you ever done this? I fly continental just in case anyone wants to know...

3. Which pickups should I get. I want something heavy and crunchy for the bridge and something a bit more versatile for the neck.

Cheers!
I hate to say it but to sustain travel... I would say... Solid State... *runs away*

*comes back* Or get a tube and a case for it. *runs away*
ExplorerFreak: don't worry about solid states... there are other amps solid states that are great (Roland JC-120)

and if you want something to last then I'd say a tube combo and packed in a steel case...
that would "atleast" save it from a little wear and tear from traveling...

for the amp I can't really recomend a specific one because of those bands... (haven't had the time to hear them completely) but I was thinking maybe a Marshall DSL401 might suit you or a Peavey XXX, JSX combo's might be worth a look too...

for the pups I'm not sure... a Seymour Duncan might be good but I can't recomend anything
specific 'cause it's really personal preference...

Well Line6 Spider III 75 and 120 will be the best amp for you it suited your type of music very well it normally travels well too and compares to many amps its lighter as well. Also Vox AD60VT or 120VT are very nice especially punk it is a half tube and half soild amp but it's very heavy.
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
From what I've read on UG so far, everyone is largely against the Spider III. Isn't it?
But is the modeling really that bad on it?

Anyways, so what about the PU's?
If ur spending that much on a guitar, get a custom made guitar, or maybe a les paul or a prs or something.
VOX is good. Line6 Spiders are not.

I'm not much of a humbucker guy so I can't help with the pickups.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Hmmmm.... As for pickups, I'd go with SD JB/Jazz (lol cliche). Are you looking for solid state or tube amp?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy

Dimarzio Breed pair works great in a mahogany iceman, will work well in basswood too, particularly if you want more weight to the sound. Duncan Custom/59 pair is a good option too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com