Marshall seems to be making a big deal about the AVT series. "...decades of evolution and innovation..."...wada wada.... Why do people here hate it so much? Does anyone own an AVT? How is it? Do you regret buying it? What genre of music do you play on it? HOW IS IT? Thanks.
Many people here regret buying AVT's. Haven't used one myself, but I hear they're overpriced for what they are...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Well from what ive heard its just like an MG with a tube, and one tube doesnt make much of a difference to the sound.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
Go to a friend and say "what the difference between soda and your soda?............(pause).............sperm!" Then you start masturbating furiously into their can

OH GOD!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL maybe i'm just tired...because it's 4:50 in the morning...but I that's the funniest thing I've cum across in a while!

Anyways....NOT ONE person here owns a marshall AVT?? ANYONE?

oh man...that's jokes! lolol
I know a guy who has an AVT and they're nowhere near as bad as MGs, but they're nothing special either, they're reasonably versatile but they don't do any one thing particularly well and the one tube they have really doesn't do much to help their cause, if you're thinking of buying one I'd wait until you can afford something really good, like a higher end Marshall at least.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
My roomie has AVT100 and we jam together all the time so almost as good as owning one (he even makes me EQ it for him!). Anyway it's really nothing special. He can get some good fuzz with it at lower volumes and he messes around with a few effects but when we play with a drummer and crank it, it really does sound dead. When it's side by side with my JCM800 you can really notice it too. It's hard to explain cause I don't know all the terminology but yeah it just doesn't resonate or cut through and can get very muddy. He regrets buying it specially since I picked up my JCM800 combo cheaper than what he payed for the AVT.

So yeah it's not a crap amp but there are stacks of amps better, even at the same price range.
I just got rid of mine, I had the 275 model, it had a good distortion on od2 channel, but it took me years of fiddling to get it good. I found the cleans were cringeworthy, I prefered using the acoustic simulator. If you are going for a high model get the marshall dsl combo, thats what I am after now. I hope its worth the wait
i have to use a marshall AVT100 almost once a week, at my drummer's basement where we jam. If i had my own transport i woulda brought my own amp along, but i dont

All i can say is its quite a mediocre amp. The cleans are alright, but the overdrive i wouldnt touch. It wouldnt cut thru in a band situation at all. And so thats why i use my modeller stompbox straight into the poweramp. Sometimes i use just a tad of preamp gain, set to 2. Adds a bit of fuzz into my tone, yes the overdrive is kinda fuzzy.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
For its price it really isn't worth it at all. You can be getting much better amps at the price of that amp.
Sent from my iPad.
i had an AVT150H for four years. just traded it for a fender twin reverb 2. the AVT was ok. i gigged with it a lot. the effects were ok. it was 150 watts but with one cab (the one that came with it) it only puts out 75 watts. wasn't bad overall. it is solid state. don't let that "tubed preamp" throw you. overall i was happy with it but that was partially due to my ignorance of amps and how they work. i like the tone you get from tubes. that one tube in the preamp just doesn't quite get it. tubes on the power amp need to get hot go get "that sound." all this being said, in the four years i had it (bought new) i never had one minute of trouble out of it. just lacked the power with one cab.
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals
WOW! Every response has been bad so far! Holy crap....when I tried the AVT50 at L&M...it sounded EXTREMELY good....but that MUST be because I have a 10watt MG. But still...it costs about $600.00 Canadian....which is a lot for me right now!!

I wonder if anyone here will make a good response for this thing....or do they feel that everyone else hates it..so they shoudn't say there true feelings about it! Hmmm......(or does it just plain suck!?!)
Quote by AGL23
I wonder if anyone here will make a good response for this thing....or do they feel that everyone else hates it..so they shoudn't say there true feelings about it! Hmmm......(or does it just plain suck!?!)

I think it's pretty obvious.
I don't think people hate them, perhaps the MG series, but I used one in store a 100 watt one and it sounded decent. I think there are lots of snobs on here whose parents probably buy them loads of stuff or what they want and so its easy for them to say get an engl powerball or a this or that. If you are saving and buying on your own get what you can.

If you like the AVT thats great, but try a few other things as well. I could have bought a dsl years ago but opted for the avt and now low and behold I am looking possibly at the dsl, wish I had saved myself 5 years and a few hundred pounds
i had to use one for a month in my bandroom (i bought my own now). anyway, it's not bad, but it's not worth the price at all. beats most Solid state amps, but not much after that....there's no way i would pay this much for this thing.
I have one and I regret buying it immensely. The clean is average (but usable), classic rock is again probably usable, but once the gain gets above about 11 o'clock, it gets extremely nasty, angular, and basically the exact opposite of smooth. And nomatter how you try to fight the EQ, it doesn't really help.

Plus, it's extremely expensive for what it is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i was happy enough with mine, all but the power issue. get a 4 ohm cab or two cabs so that you can get the full wattage, that way you don't have to crank it so loud and loose your tone.
now i can tell you i love my twin reverb WAY better. it's louder and sounds better. you can get those new about the same price from www.musiciansfriend.com
check some tube amps in that price range before you buy the AVT. you can go half the wattage on a tube amp and have just as much volume
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
I have one and I regret buying it immensely. The clean is average (but usable), classic rock is again probably usable, but once the gain gets above about 11 o'clock, it gets extremely nasty, angular, and basically the exact opposite of smooth. And nomatter how you try to fight the EQ, it doesn't really help.

^+1 from another "ex"- owner
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey! I like mine! And I'd reccomend the AVT150 half stack to any teen musician with a band. It's louder than the AVT50, and it makes a difference, trust me.

And I doubt there's a better amp for the same price...c'mon a JCM900 head alone costs more than the whole half stack!!

I've played gigs with it for 2 years with mine and I thought it did great.
For the working class musician the AVT is the best value imo.

If you guys hate MG's AVT's and Spiders, what are you playing out of?
I doubt everyone on UG is playing JCM 800's, Dual Rectifiers, or Orange heads...

We all know what the best gear is, but be realistic children :P
^ tell me what the "best gear" is. and i could make a stack for what the avt stack costs from "off brands" and used/vintage gear that would blow the AVT out of the water, and id still have money left over to take the groupies out for drinks.
two of my friends have an AVT 50 head, and i think it's really really muddy sounding.
one has a vox 2x12 cab, and one has a custom acoustic 4x10 cab.
even with the bass 5 mid 6 treb 10, using an SG. can't get the AC/DC angus young tone.

and no, i play through an all tube Fender Blues Jr.
yes, those amps tend to be a bit trebly, but thats nothing bad.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
Hey! I like mine! And I'd reccomend the AVT150 half stack to any teen musician with a band. It's louder than the AVT50, and it makes a difference, trust me.

And I doubt there's a better amp for the same price...c'mon a JCM900 head alone costs more than the whole half stack!!

I doubt everyone on UG is playing JCM 800's, Dual Rectifiers, or Orange heads...

...????? You know how many tube combos you can get for the same price of an AVT head?
Quote by FlyingFuc!<

We also play Vox's, Roland's, Peavy's, Laney's, some people use ENGL. There is so many amps. People don' like them because for the price they suck, so they get better amps.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<

Hate to say this, but being 15 and starting in a band (FINALLY), I play through a 1973 Sound City L120 all valve amp, which was point-to-point wired in London. I play this through a 2x12" cab loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s. It cost me less than £400 in total, and is MUCH better than an AVT150 halfstack. They really aren't that great for the money at all, and TBH I probably wouldn't buy a JCM900 new as it'd be cheaper second hand.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
i picked up the avt50h head for $150 and its not as bad as people say. it isnt great, but def not bad. do yourself a favor and if you do get it throw in a groove tube gold series ecc83s tube in place of the stock tube, also its not a bad idea to throw a sonic maximizer in the loop. after these simple mods you have some decent stuff to work with.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<

an avt150 stack is what, almost £500?

i could get an amp that sounds so much better than an avt150 for £500.

peavey windsor and framus 2x12, for instance. or laney gh50L with the same cab...

Quote by Whole Lotta Led
...????? You know how many tube combos you can get for the same price of an AVT head?

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's overpriced garbage. I play an old one at school occasionally (the older ones are supposed to be better) and it's simply lower-midrange mud. Due to it being 1-channel SS, you can't get actual clean tones out of it at any volume where you can hear it properly, and it doesn't seem to output the quack you get on positions 2 and 4 of a strat, it just makes it even more muddy. The distortion is horrible and it sounds shat cranked.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i used to have the 150 halfstack. FOr the price i payed for it i could have had my MEsa Mark Iv much sooner( i payed the same price for the mark IV as the AVT). Avoid it like aids. way too overpriced. most Solid state half stacks are mostly gimmicks anyways.

hope that puts things into perspective
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at May 20, 2007,

Stuff made by any of the other 200 or so amplifier manufacturers out there?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
They're hated becuase they are hideously poor value.

For the price of a new AVT150 halfstack, a musician looking to gig could buy a:

Used JCM800
Used JCM900
New DSL401

All at a lesser price. Nice, all valve combos, that are plenty loud enough. And that's just a few marshall options. There are hundreds of amp manufacturers out there offering well priced valve combos, you could even buy a Fender Champ 600, or Valve junior, for home practise, and have loads of cash left over.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
^
A modded VJ head (with cab) will sound more like a real Marshall than an AVT ever will, and costs about £300 less.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I've owned an avt20. They're very mediocre amps. Fine for low level bedroom practice when you still haven't developed an ear for tone. They are not as terrible as they are portrayed to be, but still very mediocre. Extremely sterile and unresponsive, flat and boring cleans and noisy distortion which is not clear, but still much better than many other cheap amps on the market like spiders or mgs.

However, there are so many more amps which are far better for those prices which makes the avt a joke. Many low wattage tube amps which blow it away.
Quote by Dave_Mc

same. the distortion channels are horrible. Thats means you have to spend extra to get a pedal to make it sound half decent.
Read my post. Not this.
I own an AVT100X 100W combo. Do I regret buying it? No, I don't. I have a BAD DOG distortion (by Washburn) and I hook it in while on the clean channel. ABSOLUTELY HEAVY distortion that ranges from Anthrax's - Among The Living tone, Pantera's - Cowboys From Hell, Metallica's - Master Of Puppets, Megadeth's - Rust In Peace, and Slayer's - Reign In Blood & Seasons In The Abyss. I play metal. I play on a Jackson Pro Series RR3, and when I play my cleans I switch to both neck and bridge pickups. I hope this has helped!
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
i find i can get a decent metal distortion with a metal muff, and the amp on the acoustic setting with the brightness on 0.
Read my post. Not this.
Quote by mingles
same. the distortion channels are horrible. Thats means you have to spend extra to get a pedal to make it sound half decent.

plus to add insult to injury, with a lot of overdrive/distortion pedals, if you try to use them to boost the overdrive channels on the amp, the sound cuts out etc. and sounds like crap.

so if you want to use a pedal, odds are you have to get ALL your gain from the pedal... which means the horror of a pedal with "metal" in the title (assuming you want a metal level of distortion)...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If its not all tube, its no tube. This is the word of UG.