Hey everyone
We decided a few days ago that our band is gonna do more acousticy songs. Now, ive only got an old acoustic guitar, and my birthdays coming up, so i was wondering if you guys could help me decide the best guitar for around £150. Ive got an Ibanez SA120, which i love cos of the action and sound, so im tempted to go for the Ibanez AEG10E, which looks nice and sounds like its pretty damn good. But any other makes would be great.

Thanks,

James
Personally I don't believe you can get a decent electro acoustic for less than £300. Remember, the electrics cost a lot and an equally priced regular acoustic will be much better.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
^yup.

And when you are looking at lower end guitars you end up spending less money and getting a better guitar and electronics if you buy the guitar and buy and aftermarket pickup separate.
Not taking any online orders.
Hey,
thanks for the advice, but im never gonna spend £300 on a guitar, im like 15, im only gonna do that when i start making money.
So, around £150 please, cos everyone said that about the SA120, and i think its a great guitar.
I've got a Peavey Indianola electro acoustic for sale. It'll be less than £150 definately. PM me or add me on MSN or whatever if you are interested.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Get a guitar from the guitars under $300 thread which is stickied at the top of this forum. Thats really as cheap as i would go for guitars, one of those guitars. And then if you need to plug it in, get a soundhole pickup for like 50bucks. That will get you a decent guitar, and a decent pickup for if you need it.

If you buy a guitar with a pickup for that cheap then your guitar and your pickup are going to be crap. at least my way you get a decent guitar and a decent sound when plugged in.
Ok, thanks, what a decent pickup then? Can you give me any names or makes? And whats a decent acoustic guitar, not electro, just acoustic, for under $300 (or about £170)?

Thanks,

James
Is a SA-3 Woody HC or a Dean Markley pro mag plus any good? Remember, im a poor student :P
They are good if you are playing through an electric guitar amp. If you are playing through a pa or an acoustic amp then they are not that great. What type of amp do you want to play through?

As a general rule magnetic soundhole pickups are best in guitar amps
under saddle transducers are best with acoustic amps
soundboard transducers are best with a PA

but there are a lot of exception depending on how loud you want to play. Also, if you get a good preamp it can change the type of amp you want to play through.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 20, 2007,
I play through a line 6 spider 2 30 watts thingy. But the singer in the band has a PA system, which one would you say is best? Amp or PA? And can you recommend some makes for both pleease

Thanks mate
A pre amp is something that boosts the signal of the pickup before it reaches the amp.

Bands break up so I would say that it's best to rely on your own equipment and not your band mates. Through your amp I would say you would be best off with a soundhole pickup. The 2 you asked about before are both very nice.

If you were playing through a PA then you would want to look at the b-band SBT or the LR Baggs I Beam. The B Band is a better pickup but I don't know if you can buy it in the UK. If you want it and cant find it I have a few kicking around that I could make you a deal on, but I still think that you would be best off getting a good soundhole pickup instead.
As for the guitar I would go for the Yamaha FG700S.
I can't really suggest any pickups but CorduroyEW seems to know heaps and heaps about everything acoustic and I'm very jealous. So probably listen to him when it comes to pickups
Okie Dokie, thanks everyone for your help, i should really learn some stuff about guitars instead of just playing them :P
Just got a few more questions to ask you please :P What acoustic guitar is best for action, cos i find that really important. And aswell, i thought the preamp in an electro acoustic gave you more control, is it better to just buy an electro acoustic, or get the system you said, with the pickup and the acoustic separate? Also, can you buy a preamp then fit it into an acoustic guitar? Any infomation you have would be great
^ Their reasoning on those machine head comparisons is stupid!

Anyway, it doesn't look that great IMO. I'm not that bothered if you don't buy my guitar, so don't think I'm saying this just so you buy mine. But TBQH, any brand new electro acoustic for £100 isn't going to be all that great - especially on one where they seemed to have concentrated on "cool" flames and a locking nut (which to me seems pointless) rather than the sound it produces. Just my two pence.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by DARTHLAIDLER
Just got a few more questions to ask you please :P What acoustic guitar is best for action, cos i find that really important. And aswell, i thought the preamp in an electro acoustic gave you more control, is it better to just buy an electro acoustic, or get the system you said, with the pickup and the acoustic separate? Also, can you buy a preamp then fit it into an acoustic guitar? Any infomation you have would be great

Yes the preamp will give you more control, but at the prices oyu are looking at that control really means nothing. No matter which way you put it, for the money you are looking to spend you can't really get a decent electro acoustic. You can barely get a decent acoustic.

I still think the Yamaha FG700S is your best option because it fits in your price range. They are really nice guitars, but thats my opinion, you should really go try one out to see for yourself.

If you really want an electro acoustic then and Alvarez AD60SC is your best bet IMO, but you would need to spend a bit more money.
I was also looking at electro acoustic in that price range, I was looking at a Washburn dk20cet, a fender cd60ce and an Epiphone dr200ce. Can anyone give me some advice on the quality of these guitars?
When buying a guitar look for something with a solid top. If it doesn't have the word "solid" it's going to sound dead in a year or two.
Ive been lookin at some of the ovation ones around £200, they any good? Cos i like the look of them for some reason :P

Thanks,
People either love ovations or they hate them. I hate them, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. If you like it then it's good. They are built well enough.