I need a guitar next to my Strat. I like the Les Paul style and sound, but I'm looking at a 300eur budget. It's going to be used for recording stuff mostly, so I needs something that sounds good and plays at least better than ok-ish.
I'm not shy of customizing so maybe sound is not the biggest issue anyway, and I'm not shy of second-hands either.
So these are kindof my choices.

An Epiphone Standard Les Paul Sunburst, there's a version with and one without pickguard, both go for 300eur
An Epi LP Studio, 300 as well
Epi SG-400, for 280eur (not an LP ofc, but I like them at well so maybe it's a better choice?)

(and there should be stickies with stuff like this, 'cause there are a lot of threads liks this appearing. Threads with lists of different LPs, Strats, etc. and lists of Fenders, Ibanez guitars, etc, would be sooo awesome for everyone here)
so the LP is better. and the standard is better. so i should get one of the LP standards? ^^
Quote by bornfidelity
(and there should be stickies with stuff like this, 'cause there are a lot of threads liks this appearing. Threads with lists of different LPs, Strats, etc. and lists of Fenders, Ibanez guitars, etc, would be sooo awesome for everyone here)

LP standard or SG400 mate.

and if it were to be done
a)too big, gonna be pretty messy
b)guitars get updated throughought the year
c)alot of guitar companies
d)still wont stop people from asking what guitars to buy
e)who would wanna write it up
Yeah I'd go LP standard. Try find an LP Standard Plain Top if you can, they're solid mahogany which will get you closer to the truer Gibson LP sound.

The SG-400 is good too but it depends what kind of sound you're after really. The SG is a little harsher (in a good way) and 'rawer'.. Whereas the LP is thick and smooth.

If these are going to be used for recording I would definitely be changing the pickups. IMO the worst thing on an Epi is the stock pickups. Apart from that they're great quality guitars for the price.
Hm so that leaves me choosing between the SG400 and the Standard. Well ofcourse the SG is cooler to perform with live ^^.
Are there any more difference between those two guitars?
Hm yeah, I guess it's a trip to the guitar store tomorrow to try 'em out.
So quality-wise, generally speaking, the LP standard and the SG400 are equals right?

And about the Les Paul standard, is the pickguard removable? I'd like it better without ^^
Yeah they're pretty much equal quality. The SG has better fret access, is a lot lighter and the sound is probably the only difference there.

And yeah LP pickguards are just 2 screws to remove. They do make the guitar look fucckin ugly. I hate LP pickgaurds.
You're pretty close to being able to afford a Korean Tokai Love Rock which frankly, is sooo much better than 99% of Epi's that I've played.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Well I live in Holland and I don't really trust them overseas shippings things. So =P