I want a guitar which is good for stuff like in flames, dark tranquility, etc for under £500 if possible, I dont really want one with a floyd rose because I heard it is a ballache to change tunings with one, and id be alternating between c tuning and a tuning. can anyone recommend me some good guitars to check out?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
err Squier bullet strat....seriously best sound ever. actually you would want something superstratish and a hardtail. Schecter hellraiser possibly just hope it isnt out of you budget
i'd look at a jackson or a schecter. they should be able to do anything you need them to.
any guitar would be fine i'd say. just aslong as you change the string gauge to atleast a 12 then you should have no problems. As for how it will look, then its up to you
i have a jackson. although it does have a floyd royse. but i have gotten some pretty heavy and crunchy sounds from it. the tuning lock isnt that hard to get used to
ya a hellraiser would be goodstuff. also like a jackson dinky hardtail or gibson/esp explorer with emg's would be really nice. i personally use a jackson stealth (like a dinky but three humbuckers... i dont think you can buy one brand new these days.) its a hardtail and it rules for inflames and at the gates and all that good melodeath stuff
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
kindly ignore the guy who mentioned the Squier, dear me he's crazy!

You don't need a floyd rose for In Flames, neither Jesper or Bjorn have ever used them. They use Gibson and ESP Explorers and Les Pauls.

I'd probably reccomend some sort of ESP EC (Les Paul) series.

Schecter or Jackson are also worthy choices. but not squier. never.
Quote by newpurgatory
i have a jackson. although it does have a floyd royse. but i have gotten some pretty heavy and crunchy sounds from it. the tuning lock isnt that hard to get used to

i thought that the entire guitar goes out of tune if you want to change? like, if i was in e and wanted to just go to drop d would i have to tune the whole thing again, or is it pretty easy to change tuning? sorry im a noob when it comes to floyds as ive never used one
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by freedoms_stain

You don't need a floyd rose for In Flames, neither Jesper or Bjorn have ever used them. They use Gibson and ESP Explorers and Les Pauls.

hmm not really a fan of les pauls tbh, when i think les paul i think guns n roses, not death metal, id get a jackson rr3 but it has a floyd
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by freedoms_stain

haha dude it was a joke.

and to ts floyds arent really are a pain in the ass but if you like to use different tunings then a spare guitar is what you want as well
a ESP EC fitted with EMGs will shit all over that.

I'm sure there are several jackson rr's without the floyd.
You can get decent BC Rich's for that money, I'm sure.

No, not the bronze series!

I don't know, you might hate them, but atleast they'll be semi-decent, so don't rule them out - note that atleast most of them at this price have mahogany bodies.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
If you do alot of palm muting I wouldn't reccomend anything with a floyd. I'm selling my explorer because Ican't get a good enough PM on it. I'm with whomever mentiond LTD / ESP..

Anything from LTD-400 up is a great guitar. I'd recommend the Ex-400 or MHNT-400. Come with active EMGs stock and hardtails. Both are rather 'metal' looking if you're into that.

I've never played a Schecter but I hear they're great value guitars so you should probably look into them.
A Schecter Hellraiser should be about £400, you can get them in Sound Control for £395 and it'd be perfect
ive been looking at ibanez guitars, would anything from the RG range be good? the RGT42DX looks pretty decent, and its £499. btw what is the different between the standard RG range and the RG prestige range?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
I play death metal and if I was buying a new guitar I would go with a 7 string so I didn't have all the crap associated with downtuning.
Schecter make a good price one, but Ibanez and Jackson also make them.

PS. I play an Ibanez RG for death metal too. The prestige are just better all round guitars - DiMarzio pickups, better hardware etc.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
I play death metal and if I was buying a new guitar I would go with a 7 string so I didn't have all the crap associated with downtuning.
Schecter make a good price one, but Ibanez and Jackson also make them.

PS. I play an Ibanez RG for death metal too. The prestige are just better all round guitars - DiMarzio pickups, better hardware etc.

id rather stick with 6 strings tbh, are the prestige guitars really worth the extra dollar, because I would be swapping for the pups out anyway, and id probably install an OFR too
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
hmm...

doesn't want the hassle of a Floyd?
a Fixed Bridge/Hard tail...

Ibanez RG321MH, RG7321, SZ520...

+1 for the ESP LTD - 400 EC
Quote by serbusfish
id rather stick with 6 strings tbh, are the prestige guitars really worth the extra dollar, because I would be swapping for the pups out anyway, and id probably install an OFR too

Eh? I thought you didn't want a FR?
Anyway, with 6 strings you have to put thicker strings on and alter the trem springs to downtune and it's never quite right (I tune to B).

Of course, if you have no trem or a non-FR style one you won't have to alter the springs.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
Eh? I thought you didn't want a FR?
Anyway, with 6 strings you have to put thicker strings on and alter the trem springs to downtune and it's never quite right (I tune to B).

Of course, if you have no trem or a non-FR style one you won't have to alter the springs.

if i did get a guitar with a tremolo system I may as well get a decent one installed on it, and to me it looks like mostly the 'better' guitars have tremolos and cheaper guitars dont, im interested in the ibanez RGT42DX, but i dont think my local shop has it in, so I wont be able to try it out before i buy
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish
if i did get a guitar with a tremolo system I may as well get a decent one installed on it, and to me it looks like mostly the 'better' guitars have tremolos and cheaper guitars dont, im interested in the ibanez RGT42DX, but i dont think my local shop has it in, so I wont be able to try it out before i buy

You seem unsure as to what you actually want! Unless you are planning on sticking to the same tuning and use the tremolo a lot don't bother getting a guitar with one.
There are loads of disadvantages of having a tremolo when you can just get a guitar with a good fixed bridge that will help maintain tuning stability and sustain.

I'd urge you to try out the guitar I suggested. IMO you can not find a guitar with better specs than this for under £500! Even though some ESP's come with EMG pickups aswell, the Ibanez wizard neck is far superior. In fact I'd say the wizard neck is probably the best neck on any guitar, in any price range.

IBANEZ RGT6EXFX EXTREME LIMITED EDITION ELECTRIC GUITAR FEATURES
Wizard II (neck-thru)
5pc. Maple/ Walnut Neck Material.
Basswood Body.
24 Jumbo Frets.
Bound Rosewood Finger Board.
Fixed Bridge.
EMG 85 Humbucker Neck Pickup.
EMG 81 Humbucker Bridge Pickup.
Off-Set Dot Inlay.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Dr. B
That looks pretty sweet - I would probably get that if I was buying now, esp with the EMGs.

My mate's got one and it plays like a dream. There's actually nothing on it that you can really upgrade as it has pretty much the best everything to start with.
If you don't want to feel like shit after spending your money, then go immediately to musicians friend and order the Schecter C1 Hellraiser, active emgs, tune o matic bridge. and if the hellraiser is out of your price range, then there is a schecter for you, they are the best bang for your dollar, Period.
Quote by ntchode
If you don't want to feel like shit after spending your money, then go immediately to musicians friend and order the Schecter C1 Hellraiser, active emgs, tune o matic bridge. and if the hellraiser is out of your price range, then there is a schecter for you, they are the best bang for your dollar, Period.

That would be good advice apart form we dont' have musicians friend in the UK. Infact, the only offical schecter dealer in the UK is Soundcontrol and they haven't got any Hellraisers in sotck.
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
That would be good advice apart form we dont' have musicians friend in the UK. Infact, the only offical schecter dealer in the UK is Soundcontrol and they haven't got any Hellraisers in sotck.

Keep pestering them. My local got one in from Derby for me.