I'm just curious but will a cutaway worsen the sound of an archtop acoustic? I'm just curious as I know that body shape can alter volume and tone somewhat.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Cutaways don't hurt the tone, they just change it a little. Most archtops have a cutaway so really that is what would be considared "normal". If you got an archtop with no cutaway, will won't sound very much different but it is likely to sound a bit warmer and louder.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Cutaways don't hurt the tone, they just change it a little. Most archtops have a cutaway so really that is what would be considared "normal". If you got an archtop with no cutaway, will won't sound very much different but it is likely to sound a bit warmer and louder.

Fair enough, I personally haven't seen any but yah. Mine's a cheapo Artisan Archtop so it has no cutaway, gorgeous looks and as of yesterday evening a really bad action problem. Pity.

So cutaways make a guitar quiter then?
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Just a little bit. The larger the air volume inside the guitar, the louder the guitar will be (to an extent) so things like deeper sides and no cutaway add to the volume of the instrument, but they take away from the clarity and cut.
Not taking any online orders.