Cause from what i've heard from blue guitarists, they usually go for maple neck for sharp and sustain tone. So is it a mistake to play warm for blues?

Sorry if i am a newbie
I'm not exactly "well known" but I do, and I play on a rose wood neck, and even if no one played that way that doesn't mean you couldn't.
2 words - gary moore.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
I always go for a warm tone the sharp tones just appeal to me and just like the way it sounds 'silky'

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
B.B. King
Stevie Ray Vaughan uses a warm tone on a lot of songs
Early Clapton was all Les Paul/SG work

You definitely don't need the stereotypical Fender sound to play blues.
Hi, I'm Peter
Nah man, if anything I hate the sounds of a sharp Fender. Les Pauls/or other Gibsons warm sounds awsome for blues. I honestly can get through one SRV song. Nothing against him but i cant stand him. Peter Green is a good example for warm blues.
I occasionally go for a warm tone. I think it sounds good, but only in moderation, really.
Quote by holybassbatman!
Most people on UG are teenage boys who think that the only way they can assert their 'dominancy' is by making others feel low and bossing them around. More than likely in real life they are subject to bullying.
True?

Every now and then a thread comes up about what you need to play blues. Here is everything you'll need: an instrument! Again and again I hear that you need a stratocaster to play blues. I play mostly my Les Paul. I've played blues on an archtop, I've even played blues on a LTD Explorer. There is no guitar that should be associted with one genre more than any other.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
a lot of good blues players will switch tone depending on the song, the mood they are in etc. for example, clapton's 'woman tone' was all about neck pickup and low treble settings on the amp, ie a warm tone.

i don't believe you can say that the blues is any particular tone at all.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Albert King learned how to play using a piece of wire nailed to a wall. I think that says it all
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Quote by oreodunk
Cause from what i've heard from blue guitarists, they usually go for maple neck for sharp and sustain tone. So is it a mistake to play warm for blues?

Sorry if i am a newbie

Which Blues guitarists?

Because, to be absolutely, positively as fair as I can possibly be...

A lot of real bluesmen played on whatever the hell they could find.
Quote by Dirk Gently
B.B. King
Stevie Ray Vaughan uses a warm tone on a lot of songs
Early Clapton was all Les Paul/SG work

You definitely don't need the stereotypical Fender sound to play blues.

B.B. King = the appitomy of warm tone.
Derek Trucks.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Gary Moore...NO!!! he aint blues...hes a pain in the ass...gah...i despise his music...warm tone is wonderful for the blues...just pick up a gibson (or epiphone for those of us who can't afford the gibsons) and play away...best thing yet
Quote by Hot 'Lanta
Gary Moore...NO!!! he aint blues...hes a pain in the ass...gah...i despise his music...warm tone is wonderful for the blues...just pick up a gibson (or epiphone for those of us who can't afford the gibsons) and play away...best thing yet

Despite John Lee Hooker advising Mr Moore to 'take his guitar and go home', Gary is a very tasteful player with fabulous tone and perfectly honed licks... when he's not shredding your face off.

get your self a nice es-335 my friend, mmm yeah. nice blues warm tones. but alot of guy, like srv and bb king, will switch tones alot, like even in teh middle of a solo
Personally, I love a good warm tone far more than the sharp, thinner tone most people prefer.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Despite John Lee Hooker advising Mr Moore to 'take his guitar and go home'...

I've never heard about that. I should like to read what happened (outside of the obvious). Any references?

Cheers
-Falcatarius
Quote by Falcatarius
I've never heard about that. I should like to read what happened (outside of the obvious). Any references?

Cheers
-Falcatarius

It was in a guitar magazine back in the early 1990's. Hence why Mr Moore was not invited to appear on 'The Healer' and the other JLH collaboration albums maybe?

That sucks. I like both and am kinda shocked JLH would have said that. Shame that.
We really need a blues tone thread.

Shall I take the liberty of making one?
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by Jackolas
That sucks. I like both and am kinda shocked JLH would have said that. Shame that.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's all blues in some way, shape or form!

Quote by Sloopy

I think that would be good
Quote by Sloopy

Could merge it with the 'Blues Amp' discussion, if a mod fancied it.

Quote by Blues Breaker
Nah man, if anything I hate the sounds of a sharp Fender. Les Pauls/or other Gibsons warm sounds awsome for blues. I honestly can get through one SRV song. Nothing against him but i cant stand him. Peter Green is a good example for warm blues.

Why would you have something against SRV you just said you can get through one of his songs?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Fender blues is fairly modern. Most of the early electric blues was played with humbuckered guitars like Gibsons.