So I've looked at a bunch of amp schematics but they all have shitloads of resistors and capacitors and stuff like that. Is there any way I can build a really simple head with only a volume control and an on/off and standby switch?
The thing I'm after is VOLUME and LOUDNESS, non of that hi-tech crap just the most simple amp without any EQ controls.
I do understand most of the symbols on schematics so I'm not a total noob at this.
in short, you could, but it would suck. The eq is what shapes your tone, without it you would sound like a crappy midwestern christian punk band, and we all know how bad they sound.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Yeah, what ValoRhoads said, there wouldn't be much point, you're tone would suck big time.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
im sure there is a way to build something like that, it would basicly be like the epi valve junior. but it sounds like you want more volume than what 5w tube is going to get you. problem is, power gets expensive and is going to take a lot of components to build. you are going to need capacitors to at least make sure your signal is running correctly and you will need resistors to bias everything correctly. it is impossible to build a decent amplifier with almost no resistors or capacitors.

there are a bunch of amp schematics here, which i suggest you look through and see if there is something simple enough for you.
Quote by DehumanizeR
So I've looked at a bunch of amp schematics but they all have shitloads of resistors and capacitors and stuff like that. Is there any way I can build a really simple head with only a volume control and an on/off and standby switch?
The thing I'm after is VOLUME and LOUDNESS, non of that hi-tech crap just the most simple amp without any EQ controls.
I do understand most of the symbols on schematics so I'm not a total noob at this.

Resistors and capacitors are there to make sure all of the other parts (whether it be tube or solid state) work correctly. There is no way getting around having them in an amp. You can cut down on the number, yes, but they'll still be there.

If you're serious about this, google something like "electronics basics" or something like that. Schematics aren't bad once you get the hang of them.
Quote by DehumanizeR
I found these very powerfull schematics that doesn´t seem to complicated.

360 Watt Tube (22 TUBES!! a bit pricy maybe?)

380 Watt Tube ("only" 15 tubes, but that's where you get the power so...)

250 Watt Tube (another massive tube amount)

Those 3 lead things you have in there are transistors/MOSFETs/etc. I have a schematic to make a 400 watt tube amp, uses 6 tubes. All depends on what tube you use. If you use 6V6s, you'd prolly need 20 tubes. Or, go w/ KT88s and you need 6.
Quote by DehumanizeR
You mind posting that 400w schematic?

It's in a book I have, unfortunately. I'll see what I can do about getting it scanned sometime here, no promises.

Couple of questions...

1) Do you have a preference between solid state and tube? Everything I do amp-wise is tube, so I don't think I can help much with SS.

2) You just want it to be "loud". What are you using it for? Practice amp in your house, practice amp in a large space...what do you want to do with it? If I'm in my bedroom, I can make my ears ring with a 20 watt tube amp I just built (got it so loud that the speakers would drive the strings and create feedback if I didn't dampen the strings). Also, if you go tube, 1 tube watt is about 2-3 solid state watts as far as volume output goes.

3) Do you play electric or bass?
Quote by ValoRhoads
in short, you could, but it would suck. The eq is what shapes your tone, without it you would sound like a crappy midwestern christian punk band, and we all know how bad they sound.

Valve Junior has no eq, and it's amazing.

..Just had to add that

Also, as a side note, those tube amp schematics look interesting, but very expensive.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by rafarquhar
Valve Junior has no eq, and it's amazing.

..Just had to add that

Also, as a side note, those tube amp schematics look interesting, but very expensive.

The cool thing about the Valve Junior is that it's a nice thing to mod to make it even better...

Also, see my previous commentary on the amp schems. It actually wouldn't be expensive to build those, 'cause transistors cost quite a bit less than tubes.
It's tube I want, dont really like SS guitar amps.

I'm aware of that tube/solid watt thingy and I'll be using it for band practice (loud drummer) and loud amplifier worshiping sludge live gigs.

I play both guitar and bass but my guitarist will probably use it until he gets his own and then I'll use it for bass (like those green matamp/elcetric amp heads). I thought that if it doesn't have any real EQ it would just be a volume unit.
If you're using it for just a volume unit...*Shrugs* My first thought would be the output secton from a Fender Bassman, but w/o a preamp to boost the signal I dunno if that'd be loud enough or not.

http://www.schematicheaven.com/fenderamps/bassman_135_schem.pdf

That site has a lot of different schematics for things, here's the overall:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/

I'll see if I can find that book I was talking about before, there's a few in there that would be sweet for what you're doing.
Yeah, you can...couple of issues. 1) it might sound like crap 2) it might not be as loud as you're expecting, as when they make the poweramps they're anticipating having a certain amount of gain in front of them from the preamp.

Ultimately, all a power amp is is just a unit that takes small signals (from, say, a guitar) and amplifies them to the point that a speaker can use it. So, yeah, just a power amp is fair game for what you're doing. That book I keep talking about it power amp-only stuff, it's just a power amp with a guitar input on the front.
I don't see the point in getting a 400 watt tube amp, since you'd never ever be able to crank it anyway...
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

Quote by Kryptonite_0194
I don't see the point in getting a 400 watt tube amp, since you'd never ever be able to crank it anyway...

If he's going to use it for bass, he doesn't want to crank it. For bass, you want to be in the clean part, otherwise it's going to distort...which in some cases is good, in others (and probably this case) not. Is it excessive? For electric, definately. For Bass, probably.
Quote by DehumanizeR
You've been very helpful, thank you, I've really learned stuff today.

I'll try that HiWatt I think.

And that book, what's the title, i might just check it out.

No prob. Glad I can actually help someone.

The book is the white on further down the page, "The Principles of Power"...teaches you how to design a power amp from the ground up, but also has quite a few alraedy-made designs...

http://www.londonpower.com/books.htm

Good luck w/ your project. And be careful, tube amps run on voltages that can kill you.
Quote by DehumanizeR

And that book, what's the title, i might just check it out.

Just found the book. 100 watt, 120 watt, 200, 280, and 435 are the options. For the dual guitar/bass thing, the 200 and 280 look pretty good. The 435 is an instrument amp, so no idea how it'd respond with a huge bass signal hitting it. I'll try and make it down to the Union today (I'm a college student) and get it scanned in.