Has anyone played through the Pignose G40V Tube amp?? I play a strats one with single coils, and one with a humbucker in the bridge, I am in a metalcore, hardcore, metal style band and the lead guitarist is running an epiphone head through a line 6 cab probably 100 watt or so, but solid state, would you think that this would be loud enough to cut through the mix at some small gigs, or should I look elsewhere for a good gigging and practice amp?? I really want that tube sound and this has 3 12AX7's and 2 6L6's.
Unless you plan on using pedals, Pignose isn't for you. Cheapest tube amp you may want to consider for that purpose is a Peavey Valveking. But 100 watts solid state will definitely be enough to use for small gigs.
Hi, I'm Peter
Well, Ill probably be running through a pedal no matter what I buy, I have a Zoom G1x and I pretty much have a degree in how to get good sounds out of it, so thats not a problem, I just figured that it would be great to have a tube amp.
Quote by ntchode
Well, Ill probably be running through a pedal no matter what I buy, I have a Zoom G1x and I pretty much have a degree in how to get good sounds out of it, so thats not a problem, I just figured that it would be great to have a tube amp.

i wouldn't run that pedal through a tube amp, digital pedals don't go very well with tubes and they tend to suck your tone
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
The reviews of it ain't so hot. If you have to change the tubes and the speaker to get it to sound good, it's probably not a great value as a low cost amp.

And if you're sticking to metal type stuff, you want more of a high gain amp, anyway, as Dirk suggests.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, sounds like you dont have enough green for a high gain tube amp. Sooooo,,, I would go with maybe a new Randall, or something along the lines of that. Maybe try a Randall G3 100 watt combo. That amp will probably blow that ss Epiphone head out of the water.
Quote by ntchode
the peavey valveking are they good?

Not a fan. The combos get worse reviews than the Pignose.

It's really better to save your money and get the right thing, than get stuck with something eh, and be unable to unload it.

I'm I tube snob like most of the folks who post in here, but I'd say the recommendation of the Randall SS for metal is a good one.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
well, how about the peavey studio pro 112, or the transtube 110 EFX.
God, I don't know what to do, this one looks good too, Randall RG75G3 G3 Series Guitar
look into the new Fender Champion 600's. They are hard to find right now, but I am going to buy one without even trying it when they become available because they are only $200. And for a little Class A tube combo the size of a large toaster, you can't beat the deal. Even if it's really really bad (which it most likely isn't) I'll just convert it to another amp. Epiphone also has a some small tube combo's
^He plays high gain stuff, I don't think he wants a Fender.
Anyways, the Randall might be your thing. Try it out though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
^He plays high gain stuff, I don't think he wants a Fender.
Anyways, the Randall might be your thing. Try it out though.

Oh. I just read the title
well the randalls are out of my price range, to get more than 30 watts, I really need about 100 watts SS, but Im only gonna be able to come up with about 300 dollars, I currently have 200.
well, 30 watt tube is louder than 100 watt SS...
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Quote by Kunundrum
well, 30 watt tube is louder than 100 watt SS...

ooo actually that would depend, usually a tube is really 2.5 times that off ss. so 30 watts tube would usually equate to 75 watts ss. but really who cares about volume, mic all the amps so you dont have to go deaf
that may be true, but the 30 watt randall is solid state, and won't I look funny with a an amp the size of a computer monitor sitting next to my friends half stack. but if you think that tube is the way to go, can you recommend a tube amp that is near 200-300 USD, and will be reliable and loud enough to cut through a 100 watt half stack?
but we are metal as crap and loud as hell. even though small shows.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
ooo actually that would depend, usually a tube is really 2.5 times that off ss. so 30 watts tube would usually equate to 75 watts ss. but really who cares about volume, mic all the amps so you dont have to go deaf

Well... you're not gonna crank your SS are you?
interesting, how about possibly no. though 100 watt amp for a small show is a tad too much, just tell your friend to keep it low and well try and get a larger budget
Well true. Better to run it through the PA if needed.
Quote by Kunundrum
Well... you're not gonna crank your SS are you?

well no but you wouldn't really need to have a 100watt tube amp either would you?
well, a 30-40 watt tube is enough to gig.

maybe a used classic 30 is up your alley? Not so sure bout that pignoise... Looks cheap and kinda tacky.... But i hear great things about pignoise
Quote by ntchode
how easy is a used classic 30 to find, what kinda price?

You might find one in the $300 range.

Best to start scouring the used market, see what you find. If you're unsure about what you come across, ask about it here. Check Craig's List, you're local classifieds. Rummage thru pawn shops. eBay. $200-300 is a small amp budget, the only way to maximize it is to go used.

It may not be the best, but I'm sure you could find 75-100W SS amps in that range, and maybe even get lucky with a big enough tube amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.