...on my guitar. Sick little monkeys.

I was doing my usual practice and had just switched to my Schecter (I make a point to play around with each of my guitars, at least a little to get used to the differences on each). Tuned it up, then noticed something odd about the G string. When I plucked at it (open), there was an odd, high ringing that would follow the note. I checked it again and confirmed that all the strings were in tune, and checked the other strings as well, but only heard the odd sound when plucking that particular string.

I noted:

Had the guitar for about a month, never noticed it until now, and I've been playing with it since the day I bought it.

It's most noticeable when I'm using headphones, not as noticeable when just going through the amp with no headphones. Can't really hear it when I play "unplugged."

I normally keep it in a semi-hard case (generic, but nice case) and not "out" on a stand. I take it out when I play, and when I'm done, it's back in the case.

Intonation is spot on.

It seems to only be noticeable when I pluck the string, open. When the string's fretted, I don't really notice it at all.

Really low action, no buzzing on any string/fret, and again, this is a very new occurence, never noticed/heard it before. Not sure on the strings that the guitar came with, but I don't think they were original as they feel like they're 11's (went from 10 to 11 on my Interceptor and just by comparing the feel, I'm guessing that 11's are what's on the Schecter. These are the original strings that were on it when I purchased it, and I haven't done a string change yet.

Any thoughts?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
maybe picking too hard and the string is hitting the 12 fret and causing a harmonic? don't really know though...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Are you running through your RP80 when you get the problem?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I'm actually having the same exact problem on my Stratocaster, only I can also hear it unplugged. It's like, after I plug the G, and then mute it, I hear a weird ringing noise. It gets really annoying, especially when I'm trying to play muted notes. Anyone care to explain?
Although the action on all the strings are extremely low, I get no buzzing on either open or fretted strings, regardless of the fret, even when I pluck "hard." So I'm doubting it's a harmonic caused by it touching a fret. And it doesn't seem very evident when I'm actually fretting the string, it's only very noticeable when it's open. Also, it doesn't seem to matter how hard or light I pluck the string. Obviously, the lighter the pluck the less I hear it, but same goes for the actual note.

I did plug it into my RP80 and didn't really notice the sound through it, but come to think of it, I had the RP80 plugged into my amp when I should've probably plugged my headphones into the RP80 to listen for the sound.

To clarify a little. I noticed the sound when I plugged it into the GLX15 amp, with my headphones plugged into the amp. I couldn't really hear it when I unplugged the headphones, and let it sound through either the GLX15 of FXT65. The headphones were fine (not the best) as far as I could tell after plugging them into my PC and playing a few CDs. Also, it's only on that string. Not on any of the others.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Harmonics where you mute it?

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by RoboRobot
I'm actually having the same exact problem on my Stratocaster, only I can also hear it unplugged. It's like, after I plug the G, and then mute it, I hear a weird ringing noise. It gets really annoying, especially when I'm trying to play muted notes. Anyone care to explain?

^It sounds like your hitting a harmonic.

However, the threadstarter does not mute the string to cause the inexplainable sound.

EDIT: Threadstarter: When you actively mute all other strings and pluck the string, do you still get the sound?
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Mar 19, 2007,
The only thing I can think of is a harmonic...because on an open the biggest deflection of the string happens over the 12th fret...

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Bazilisck311
EDIT: Threadstarter: When you actively mute all other strings and pluck the string, do you still get the sound?

Argh... third time I'm trying to post a response and IE keeps crapping out...

Anywhoo...

I haven't tried muting all the other strings, but I do notice I still hear the sound when I'm fretting other strings while plucking an open G. Like when playing parts of Silent Lucidity.

The only time I don't really hear it, is when I'm fretting the G string.

Nothing on the guitar has changed since I've purchased it, and I'd like to think I keep real good care of it, even keeping it in the case when I'm not playing. I had my friend at the local music shop look at it right after I made the purchase (as I didn't entirely trust the GC guys) and he said that the setup was perfect.

Yet I'm just hearing the sound now.
^Try muting every other string while plucking the G string - It sounds like resonance.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
^ Regarding resonance, wouldn't I hear that when plucking any of the other strings and not just with the G string?
Quote by Hakael
^ Regarding resonance, wouldn't I hear that when plucking any of the other strings and not just with the G string?

No because each string vibrates at a different frequency. Your G-string might be vibrating at the same frequency as one of your other string's resonance frequencies.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Well, thanks for the info. I'll be doing further testing as soon as I get off work and will let you guys know how things go.
My bet is that your string is touching a fret ever so lightly that it produces a harmonic. Go over every fret and try to hit a harmonic on each one. See if you can find a harmonic that matches the pitch that your open string makes (the high pitch one and the end).
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
*cough* Hmmm... Feeling sick... Yes, must go home early from work.

~half an hour later~

Amazing how much better you feel after a drive.

Playing around with the Schecter, and I didn't hear it "unplugged." Plugged it into the amp (FXT65), and I thought I could hear it again on the G string (although not as pronounced through the amp). I also noticed that the coil tap was up (single coil mode). Made sure it was in tune (didn't really have to do much, it stays in tune really well) and plucked away.

Sound still there.

Muted all the other strings and continued. Yup, still hear it. Checked the nut and bridge (they look ok, as far as i can tell, no loose bits or cracks). Hit the tap, changed positions a few times...

And now I don't hear it.

Oooookay...

Put it back to the configuration I had when I knew I could hear it. Nothing, well, aside from the note itself.

So... At a loss to explain what the hell was going on. I know it wasn't me just hearing things.

Oh, and I tried some harmonics on the string, couldn't get anything to sound as high as that odd sound I was hearing.
^ I actually had a similar problem with my Schecter. Mine occured at the 9th fret on the 2nd string (B in Standard). The note would sustain for a few seconds then a high pitch harmonic would take over. I thought perhaps it was with my effects pedal (the same as yours - RP80). However, before I had a chance to prove this theory, I could no longer reproduce it...

Last night, after going through this post and offering my advice, I tried my open G string and did not get the problem. However, the 9th fret on the B string started back up again. So I fiddled with the pedal and also plugged directly into the amp (I also tried my own suggestion of actively muting all other strings) - Couldn't get arid of it.

I honestly have no idea <shrug>
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Out of curiosity, are you using the same strings now, that you were using before when you first heard the sound?
Quote by Hakael
Out of curiosity, are you using the same strings now, that you were using before when you first heard the sound?

Technically yes - The problem has occured since last I remeber. I originally strung it with D'Addario 10s, then I switched to light top, heavy bottom with a range of 10-52 also D'Addario. However, the B-string remained the same size with both sets (heavy bottom only affected the last three strings, or the E-A-D strings)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
aside from the noise ur getting, is the gryphon a decent guitar?, im thinking of getting one in addition to my ibanez rg350ex
AIM me = Stfunoobrofl
Quote by vanq
aside from the noise ur getting, is the gryphon a decent guitar?, im thinking of getting one in addition to my ibanez rg350ex

Well, I'm not noticing the noise at the moment, don't know if it's just an odd occurance.

Odd noise aside... I love this guitar something major. The action is super low (at least on mine, and no buzz whatsoever, I'm positive that the harmonic wasn't being caused by it hitting a fret). For me, it's a very comfortable guitar. Nice and light. Sounds wonderful (everything stock). And to top it off, I think it looks killer and the price was damn nice.