Page 1 of 3
I felt it was time for a nice debate about the concept of being sXe. A lot of people now claim the edge and it seems like each one says it means a different thing. What does it mean to you? Do you think it has gotten to be a fad? I used to claim edge, but I'm not so sure if I want to anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm still drug free and try to live a healthy life, but there seem to be too many fanatics out there who don't know what they're talking about and dissuade me from associating myself with straight edgers. Maybe it's only where I live that this is true.

General thoughts concerning edge?

(and I did use the search button, didn't find anything)
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
I don't go by a label of any sort because I relate it to this fashioncore trend that's been going around, but I've never tried any type of drug or alcohol (aside from caffiene of course) and I'm damn proud of it.

I prefer the term sober to straight edge.

EDIT: Sex too.

Always forget that part =/.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Mar 19, 2007,
I get pissed, and I always have a good time when I do. Fuck being straight edge.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by rorythefaggot
I get pissed, and I always have a good time when I do. Fuck being straight edge.

This man speaks the truth
Quote by rorythefaggot

+1

drugs, sex and rocknroll
So you don't drink, do drugs, or have one night stands? Good for you... but is it a big deal? Nope...
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by LadyHellraiser
Straight edge... It's just a term that has lost most of its meaning anyway.
Real 'straight edge' kids wouldn't drink, smoke, have sex, or do drugs, but now there are 'exceptions' to the rule.

If they were smart, then they wouldn't label themselves, and just refer to themselves as 'abstinent'.

This was kind of my point. I always had a bit of a problem with the label to begin with.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Kids that call themselves "straight edge" are doing nothing more than sucking the last of the milk from the Teat of Stereotypes. Damn, kids will do anything just to fit into some sort of group. If you're going to be sober/drug free and whatnot, then just do it. Don't make up a fucking name for it. Way to advertise it and try to look better than everyone else, assholes...
Last edited by happytimeharry at Mar 19, 2007,
Im sorry but i love sex drugs and rock n roll! im not hating on anything you guys do more power to ya! but You need to experience somethings in life!
My wee brother's straight edge. Keeps ganchin' on that he can't get a woman. I really do have no idea why not though...
sex, drugs n' rock n' roll ftw!!!!!!!!!!
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Quote by happytimeharry
Kids that call themselves "straight edge" are doing nothing more than sucking the last of the milk from the Teat of Stereotypes. Damn, kids will do anything just to fit into some sort of group. If your going to be sober/drug free and whatnot, then just do it. Don't make up a fucking name for it. Way to advertise it and try to look better than everyone else, assholes...

dam right!!!!

preach!
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
I had a friend who got to the point of the people you're talking about, the fanatics, he realised this last week, after getting a straight edge tattoo.
We went for a smoke the other night and we just walked round and generally had an awesome time, catching up and such, straight edge changed him into a really horrible person in some respects.

I think it has become a little bit of a fad.
Quote by urik

Homosexual sex for $200?
Be honest.
I'd do it. I think that I could stand one night with a man for the financial security of my whole life and the life of my children
And no I'm not gay. I'm 100% straight.

Quote by mesa5150
spoken like a true jew
Haha thats like the opposite of my school i'm like one of the few that are always clean and sober... I never always was this way i was into drugs and drinking and one night stands but I ended up getting arrested for somthin and i had to change and now i'm clean and sober and I've had a dry spell soo.. I'm not really straight edge just clean and sober....and unlucky...
Quote by MikeWO
That's like asking if you can get fat by looking at a burger.

Quote by Mein Kampf
Black people still exist?

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
Meh. I suppose I would be "straight edge" but I've never heard the term before.

Quote by Ankou
My wee brother's straight edge. Keeps ganchin' on that he can't get a woman. I really do have no idea why not though...

Sorry to hi-jack a little but where abouts are you from in Coleraine? Mountsandel here.

Edit: Btw, you in Jonny Watson's band?
most straight edge people are assholes, and they cant fight so they always gang up on people, fucking pussies.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Where I live, there aren't any straightedge people at all. Well, not that I know of, all the scene (including me, but not the sex part) kids drink, smoke, and **** like every weekend.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I suppose what people actually perceive as straight edge varies from place to place but where I live these people are total douche captains! If they don't want to drink or do drugs then thats fine but don't preach to me about it. I get drunk and take drugs because I like getting wasted. If I didn't then I wouldn't do it!
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by happytimeharry
Kids that call themselves "straight edge" are doing nothing more than sucking the last of the milk from the Teat of Stereotypes. Damn, kids will do anything just to fit into some sort of group. If you're going to be sober/drug free and whatnot, then just do it. Don't make up a fucking name for it. Way to advertise it and try to look better than everyone else, assholes...

X a fucking million

I'm getting pissed tonight and probably every other night this week, enjoy playing twister and drinking kool aid kids.
If your 'straight edge' your either 1- a slave to your God, 2-Ugly and unsociable, 3-a ****in prick and are just saying you are to hide these things.imo
what is the point where's the fun. Don't give me this 'im high on life' balls
I think UG agrees.....

Straight edge = phail
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by Burningritual
If your 'straight edge' your either 1- a slave to your God, 2-Ugly and unsociable, 3-a ****in prick and are just saying you are to hide these things.imo
what is the point where's the fun. Don't give me this 'im high on life' balls

The fun is the fact of knowing that you know that your body is clean and its something to be proud of. Im sXe and im damn proud of it and its not a fad around where i live. i only know 1 other sxe in my school.

And to finish this post and your quote off, I do not beleive in a/any god, im ugly but not unsociable, and im not a prick.
Quote by toddpens8771
The fun is the fact of knowing that you know that your body is clean and its something to be proud of. Im sXe and im damn proud of it and its not a fad around where i live. i only know 1 other sxe in my school.

And to finish this post and your quote off, I do not beleive in a/any god, im ugly but not unsociable, and im not a prick.

so You never once had a drink? not even a pint or a glass of wine?
Quote by toddpens8771

My body is clean. I wash it out with bourbon & cokes on a weekly basis.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
i think its funny you have an abbreviation for it sxe! haha so whats the abbreviation for those who drink have sex and do drugs and enjoy themselves???
I don't care what you call it. I uppose it's just nice to know that I'm stubborn and dedicated enough to have never had an alcoholic beverage or had some other drug (apart from pharmaceuticals when I need them and only when I need them) in my system. I'm not begrudging others for what they do to have fun, I simply choose not to partake in it.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
I live in Cincinnati Ohio, so I know a lot of about Straight Edge.

The fad is dying out and most people stopped claiming edge. Only the ones who are really loyal to it exsist. SxE doesn't equal No fun. Straight edge has a lot of asshole "crews" like FSU, but so do non-edge people.

Its just a different take on life, no BFD really.
if people dont want to do drugs or drink w/e then good for them but being straight edge doesnt make you better than someone that does. you dont have an "edge" over them.

and i read some where about some HxC gang called courage crew in america who go around beating up people who they see drinking or smoking
is this true?
do they exist ?
Quote by freedoms_stain

I think it's sick to force kids to take part in hate mongering and sick for spoonman to think its right for any adult to throw anything at a child.
Quote by *Spoonman*
if people dont want to do drugs or drink w/e then good for them but being straight edge doesnt make you better than someone that does. you dont have an "edge" over them.

and i read some where about some HxC gang called courage crew in america who go around beating up people who they see drinking or smoking
is this true?
do they exist ?

Yes, they from Cincinnati Area, where I live. Thats how i Know so much about SxE

And straight edge doesn't mean their better than you. You guys look too much into the name of it.
Quote by Cory Smash
I don't care what you call it. I uppose it's just nice to know that I'm stubborn and dedicated enough to have never had an alcoholic beverage or had some other drug (apart from pharmaceuticals when I need them and only when I need them) in my system. I'm not begrudging others for what they do to have fun, I simply choose not to partake in it.

Yeah, but there's no need to 'claim sxe' like it somehow differentiates you from others. It's just silly. I've never watched the Godfather trilogy, should I set up my own clique of people who haven't watched it either?
Quote by raise_the_dead
Yeah, but there's no need to 'claim sxe' like it somehow differentiates you from others. It's just silly. I've never watched the Godfather trilogy, should I set up my own clique of people who haven't watched it either?

I agree. I don't like the label. I never have. If you choose to lead a clean lifestyle then just do it. There's no need for a name.

And I've never seen the Godfather either. Perhaps we shoud make a clique.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by raise_the_dead

Do you call yourself a guitarist and hang out with other guitarists?
^ The non-Godfatherists? the nGfers for short!

EDIT: No, I don't.
My old singer used to be straight edge he was a pretty cool bloke, then decided to quit it because as he put it "being sober while you guys were high and loving it was boring"
I dont smoke or do drugs... I do get absolutely wasted and wake up next to people I dont know, however.
Quote by Urban Dictionary

Originated from the punkrock/hardcore scene. The philosophy/life-choice that humans should have strength, pride, dignity, honor, and self respect; that they shouldn't engage in activities that are a disgrace to their minds and bodies. (such as ingesting and/or becoming addicted to harmful substances for fun, lying and/or being two-faced, and sharing your body sexually with another person when there isn't even a true emotional bond there)

Aound where I live, if you're 'straight edge' you're not cool. I don't call myself it, but other people do, I don't smoke, do drugs or drink (now) and so people say I'm SxE. I don't really care, I don't consider myself better than anyone, and that isn't what the term means in my area anyway. I simply choose not to do it because I want to keep my health (not saying you have to be sober to do so, it's just how my body works) and I'm a lot safer sober than I am drunk.
If people are SxE, good on them. If not, and it's their own choice, good on them. The term has almost no meaning anyway.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
It's weird, but i've never heard the expression 'straight edge' before, obviously people don't use it where i come from...but it sounds as if Daisy's got the right idea. I don't smoke, do drugs and i drink about once in a blue moon, but people don't categorise me for it, for better or for worse, where i come from.
Page 1 of 3