Poll: Swinesheads or SDs...
Poll Options
View poll results: Swinesheads or SDs...
Seymour Duncan 59/Custom (for €105)
14 64%
Swineshead Condor/Warthog (for €140)
8 36%
Voters: 22.
Need some new pickups for my (All mahogany) Epiphone Les Paul.

I can get a Seymour Duncan 59/Custom from the US through a friend for about $140 (€105).

-OR-

I can get a Swineshead Condor/Warthog from the UK for about 95 pounts = $185 (€140)

Im a little short on cash and I want to do a few other upgrades.. So really, with which of the two will I be better off? Will the extra cash for the swinesheads really make that much of a difference?

I play anything from blues to classic rock to modern rock to a little metal.. But concentrated mostly in that middle area (classic to modern rock.. think anything from Led Zep and ACDC to Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave,etc.. and I play RHCP too, but i probably wont be using this guitar for that..)

Stijn
Yo.. thanks a bunch for the votes in the poll and stuff.. but if you could also leave a comment on why exactly you chose that option then that would be great

Ty!
Anyone else? I just decided to return the amp that I was trying out back to the store.. so that free's up some funds (which need to saved for my eventual amp purchase.. but ah well..)..

Are the swineys really worth the extra cash to put in an Epi LP?

cheers
Part of the reason Swinesheads get glowing recommendations from UK players is the fact that they're so cheap, they usually work out at around half the price of Duncan's pr dimarzio's. However if you're watching the pennies then you might as well go for the Duncans, the Custom/59 is an excellent set and perfect for your styles....although if you can you may want to look at the Custom 5 for the bridge too, the regular Custom is still an excellent pickup though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ Yea thats exactly what Ive been hearing.. That Swineys are especially a hype cos Duncans/Dimarzios are expensive for us here in Europe .. I made this thread mainly to find out if they're really actually worth it if I can get the Duncans for cheaper even. So yea, thanks there (should I say.. Mark? lol.). Keep the replies coming!

Don't get me wrong, they're good, but the price diffential makes them hard to turn down in the UK. The Duncan's are good set, and if you're mindful of how much your spending then go for those....likewise if the Swineys were cheaper for you I'd have said go for them. Ultimately there's not an awful lot to choose between them, they're both a decent setup and they're both good for the type of stuff you play. The Custom will proably be a little brighter and harsh sounding than the Warthog (Ceramic magnet v Alnico V), but if you wanted to address that you could always go for the Duncan Custom 5 instead (Custom with an alnico V magnet).

With the neck a the Condor will be a little closer in character to the Duncan Alnico II pro, the 59 will have a little more high end and a touch less warmth but you're talking about pretty subtle differences.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com